REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Car of your dreams vs. the car that is logical... Oh dilemmas (https://www.revscene.net/forums/506106-car-your-dreams-vs-car-logical-oh-dilemmas.html)

EndLeSS8 12-06-2007 02:48 PM

I'm contemplating the same thing right now.....

Sell my 240...get an NSX....

or continue saving for the future...

arghh

Gwilo 12-06-2007 02:54 PM

Get the Honda for $ 500/mth save the other $ 500 ( $ 250 into RRSP and $ 250 in short term non registered)

Then in a few years your retirement fund will look good (along with the other monies you have budgeted) Then in four years your short term investments will be apx $ 15,000.00.

Then get the BMW not a 328 or 330 but a M3 because the short term invesment goes to pay for the upgrade :)

A 12-08-2007 07:53 PM

i thought new LD pharmacists that need to float to the island make about 60k pre tax, what pharmacy are you with that pays 90k? I have to tell my pharmacist friends

and 5k post tax isn't enough to own a BMW imo. Lay out a plan: when do you plan to buy your own place? how many vacations you want to take? loan payment? gas? insurance? money to family? housing rental? utilities fees? groceries? misc bills? monthly savings? it's quite straight forward, and excel is your friend.

It would be frurstrating when you realize that you have big payment coming later on, but you'e been, and will be tied to pushing 7-800 bucks into your BEAMER. Your savings will grow a lot slower, is it worth it?

if someone were to lease/finance a BMW, i don't think it makes sense unless s/he rolls in 6-7k post tax

to lease/finance/own a porsche, i don't think it makes sense unless s/he rolls in 10k post tax.

jmvdesign 12-08-2007 08:23 PM

get the honda and splurge the rest on traveling.

What_the? 12-08-2007 09:06 PM

A - 60k pre tax would only be if you're working part time or if this quote was from several years ago...

Might be a good idea to check with your pharmacist friends for updated wages (they've been going up every once in a while... Just went up 2 dollars per hour a few weeks ago)

As for the company I signed with, it's a very standard run of the mill chain (don't think i should disclose who), but it's standard wage i'm getting... no special deal here

Although 5k after tax is with 50/50 floating in vancouver and outside in smaller towns... Otherwise it'd be a bit less

The dilemma wouldn't be here if I wasn't owing student loans... But i'm sure if I wasn't, financing a bmw wouldn't be a big problem... I'd imagine not everyone who drives a 3 series makes 6-7k post tax...

Those guys rolling in the 6 figures are probably in the 5's or M's....

A 12-09-2007 03:26 PM

maybe i'm just cheap, or planning too carefully then.

Good to hear that 60k pre tax isn't the norm anymore

blackg 12-10-2007 03:12 PM

buy yourself a house/town house, get yourself a garage to park nice cars in it... bring all the hot chicks to your nice property... and haha....

Marco911 12-10-2007 05:18 PM

^^You're 17, aren't you?

FeistyBearH22a 12-10-2007 08:32 PM

Im in the exact same position as you. My plan was to actually stick with my current car for another year and a half.

By that time a year and a half has passed, you would have sufficient funds in CASH to buy your bimmer. In case something happens you would also be able to use whatever you saved up.

LanEvoMR 12-10-2007 09:17 PM

save up for the 335i.......you won't be content with the 328i......so get the honda now

HKBR 12-11-2007 05:32 AM

Even if you get a 3 series you'll be back wanting more. Sit in a new 6 series the 3 series feels like a civic.

There is no end.

Gwilo 12-11-2007 07:04 AM

Never get an odd number series from BMW 3 , 5 & 7 stick with the even numbers 6 & 8 Seriers :)

impactX 12-11-2007 08:09 AM

Cars are boring, get a sportbike.

Just make sure your income is enough to cover the expenses, then you are fine. But for real, when I was working, I couldn't care less what the hell I drive, as long as it gets me to and from work. It's a totally different mentality than when you were in school.

And your gf wants to get married right after she graduates? lol... I am not so sure if you want that buddy.

carmaniac 12-11-2007 10:10 AM

Wow I just found this thread...

I'm in the same situation as you (roughly, I'll be making much less :p). I'm considering getting a 128i when it comes out or buying something more economical.

I think in the end it comes down to priorities. Do you love cars enough to spend a significant and valuable part of your earnings into something that will incur further costs down the road with only a minimum recovery?

For me, I think my passion for cars is great enough to justify the cost. But from what you're telling us, it seems for you there are other priorities in your life.

I mean what if you buy that BMW? Then what? Will you enjoy it to its fullest extent or will it be just a daily driver? Will you be any happier owning it, or will it just become another car after a while? Think about it in terms of the other "things" that you really wanted and bought. Did you enjoy it for a long while after, or was it just short-term?

Whatever you choose, I think it's essential that it's really what you want...not just a short-term desire that needs to be filled. Good luck :)

freakshow 12-11-2007 10:41 AM

^^ spring for the 135!

carmaniac 12-11-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by freakshow
^^ spring for the 135!
Haha I wish! The 135i will be upwards of $8-10k more than the 128i. :( At that price, I'd be considering a STi or Evo too...

Z3guy 12-11-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by carmaniac
Haha I wish! The 135i will be upwards of $8-10k more than the 128i. :( At that price, I'd be considering a STi or Evo too...
for similar money you would take a STi or Evo Vs 135i? When the 135i arrives, this will be the tuner car of choice....BMW style + turbo tuning at an affordable price.....it is going to be hard to beat. A stock auto 335i is already really fast, I can't imagine taking off 300lbs & turning up the boost! 2002tii reborn

carmaniac 12-11-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Z3guy
for similar money you would take a STi or Evo Vs 135i? When the 135i arrives, this will be the tuner car of choice....BMW style + turbo tuning at an affordable price.....it is going to be hard to beat. A stock auto 335i is already really fast, I can't imagine taking off 300lbs & turning up the boost! 2002tii reborn
I'd consider the STi and Evo on the count of practicality. 4-doors, big trunk, AWD and 300hp is a good combo ;)

Noizz 12-11-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by impactX
Cars are boring, get a sportbike.
QFT, when i started riding it was the biggest change for me.
0-100 in 3.4 :p and it doesn't cost u an arm or a leg

wait... if u don't ride properly it will... haha

fukamoto 12-11-2007 02:02 PM

I'm addicted to speed, so i bought a yammi R1. Loved it for about a month. I would hit 110km/hr in 2nd gear and just rip it. Then once you realize how bad the drivers are around you, I realized I don't want to risk my life and my future over some c-lai.

Went for a 375hp car instead.

Go for what moves you :) If its a luxury vehicle, and you are guaranteed a certain salary, go for it.

Noizz 12-11-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fukamoto
I'm addicted to speed, so i bought a yammi R1. Loved it for about a month. I would hit 110km/hr in 2nd gear and just rip it. Then once you realize how bad the drivers are around you, I realized I don't want to risk my life and my future over some c-lai.

Went for a 375hp car instead.

Go for what moves you :) If its a luxury vehicle, and you are guaranteed a certain salary, go for it.

yeah if i had the salary i would also, but as a student and f/t work goes.... im pretty broke with the bike payments :( but i wanted to have something that could hold its ground with hongers who have parents that buy them M5s and SLKs

you had it for a month? first bike? and it was an R1?... haha wtf...

didn't u love having that machine between ur crotch though? having to drop that knee and positioning your body before the up coming corner?

i duno how u can give up on riding by just c-lais driving around.... take it to the track or something

fukamoto 12-11-2007 03:37 PM

Had it for about 1.5 years.

Couldn't ride a bicycle. Learned how to ride a bicycle then rode the R1 the next day.

Track is much safer for a bike. Well, I stopped because I got alot of speeding tickets, btu mainly because people can't drive. I had a guy cut me off on Bridgeport and I was boxed in, honked (he didnt hear)..I leaned off my bike and kicked the side of his van.

Its retarded how bad the drivers here are.

There is no way I'm throwing my future away after all I've worked hard for just for that thrill.

Plus just go on BCSB (BcSportbikes), during the summer, every single f*king day, a RIP thread. That and I saw two of my friends go down on a curve and it was scary :(

impactX 12-13-2007 09:04 PM

Mentality > all. ;)

Just because you have 375 horses, it doesn't mean the horses have to rush out all at the same time. :D

slammer111 12-14-2007 09:45 AM

Hehe, yeah, 4 years ago, same boat :) (well, it was Honda/Acura/MB/BMW for me) Since I was a poor young fool at the time who had no idea how money worked, I chose the "all out" route (ie Mercedes-Benz). Being Chinese, of course debt has to be "bad", so I chose the fastest (2yr) finance option. The result? Learned a few things in the School of Life.

a) I got lucky, the job I had was stable, and I was able to make the payments. But boy were they expensive!! (over 1k/mo AFTER tax, had to go ghetto on my lifestyle for 2 years) Good thing I lived at home.

b) Only had 5 years driving experience at the time (also got into an accident at 16); car insurance was 4k+ per year. Oh geez, the dealer didn't tell me this when I was negotiating the car. Found out the hard way about 5 minutes after I signed the purchase papers.

c) Oh crap, higher-end cars use PREMIUM gas? Extra 10c/L right there. (Superstore gas ftw!)

d) Dunno about BMW, but MB service ranges from $200-450 a pop. Found out the hard way 15000km into the fun. :(

e) Yeah, every young guy out there thinks that it will turn girls' heads, I was no different. Well, I remember noticing within a month that "damn, why are only the GUYS looking?" :p In fact, I remember one time I was driving this girl, and she was like "Wow, your Honda Civic is so nice!" :cry:

f) Replacement parts cost 2-3x for the equivalent item compared to the family van.

g) If you add up a) to f), yeah, the car was easily $1600/mo to own on average. Think about the stuff you could buy.

You're right, you ARE only young once. Ultimately it's up to you, but if you really insist on going the BMW route, I'd say it'd be the most economical to find a car you want in good condition that's 2-3 years old. Tons of good deals out there, and someone took the depreciation for you. That's the route I'd go if I had to do it again personally.

Have fun, and fill us in :D

ps not trying to be your mother, but if you need to extend a Line of Credit to be able to afford the car, you can't really afford it at the moment. Just wait a year after your Pharmacy job kicks in. It'll also give you a good chance (after paying bills etc.) to see if you really want a car expense on top :)

Great68 12-14-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by slammer111

e) Yeah, every young guy out there thinks that it will turn girls' heads, I was no different. Well, I remember noticing within a month that "damn, why are only the GUYS looking?" :p In fact, I remember one time I was driving this girl, and she was like "Wow, your Honda Civic is so nice!" :cry:

No kidding. Most chicks don't know or give a shit what a guy drives. Especially the non-shallow ones.