REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Advertisement

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:39 AM.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #27
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
This is my third season and what I've noticed so far is that there are several teams recruiting. I think the recession has had a huge impact since the start-up costs can be somewhat daunting. Either that or other people have taken up other sports like running, MMA, yoga, ultimate frisbee, etc.

But as K-Dub has said, once you race, you get hooked. That 2 minutes makes months of seat pulls, tire drills, endurance drills, ass blisters, and core training worth it.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #28

Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
wow, you have to do all of those in practices?
Well, not necessarily all of these drills in the same practice, but at least a couple. Not all teams refer to these drills the same way that I have, but I would imagine that teams do similar types of drills. Here's a breakdown:

Endurance drill - paddling non-stop for an extended period of time, say 12-20 minutes. During one of these drills, you'll paddle at about 80% the majority of the time, with maybe a few bursts at 100% and a couple of minutes of 'active rest' at 50-60%. Most teams can paddle hard for 200-250 meters, but you need these drills for the typical 500m race.

Seat pull - paddling by row (1, 2, 3, etc.) so the coach can assess your individual abilities and so you can learn to paddle in time with your partner.

Tire drill - a tire is dragged by the boat to create resistance. This increases overall strength and endurance. This drill can be used in combination with seat pulls.

Core training - The optimum stroke requires use of your back, shoulders, and hips, so you can understand why strengthening the core is important. This type of training is not required, but coaches often encourage it to put you over the top when it gets closer to race season.

Ass blisters - if you have proper technique, you will develop a blister on your butt cheek. As you rotate your back, your outside leg 'drives' (or pushes) into the centre of the boat and thus creates friction between your butt and the seat.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #30

Thanks for being so informative, pretty interesting stuff, I think I'll definately give it a try
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks for being so informative, pretty interesting stuff, I think I'll definately give it a try
It's unfortunate that our male roster is full because I would have definitely invited you out to one of our practices. On the other hand, if you happen to know any women who might be interested, PM me.

Check out the video on Dragonboat West's homepage - particularly around the 2 minute mark. That's an example of why dragonboating is such a great sport - boats and paddlers fighting until the end.

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-12-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #32
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
I mean think bout it this way. You're in a boat with 20~ or so other people. You're all doing the same thing. No one stands out, there really is no I in this team, it's we.

Hell, it feels like you're going to war with the other boats when you're in a race. That's how intense it is. Once you've sat in the boat for your first race ever, you'll understand how exhilarating it is. The surges, the pure primal energy of the grunts that come with every stroke.
Communist.

Next thing you know, you'll be talking about the rise of the proletariat.

Filthy communist.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #33
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Cool, thanks for the great info. Yeah, the social aspect is probably the biggest draw for me. The fitness not so much since I go to the gym 4 days a week and do yoga 2 days currently, but I'd really like to see how I do. I'll keep my eyes on dragon boat west for openings.
To speak to how addictive it is, I've been "retired" since the end of 2007, and go to the gym in an effort to stay in shape. However, every day there is an inkling of sunshine, I CRAVE to be out on the water paddling. I miss the guys I paddled with a lot.

I promise you that after your first solid practice, your body will be in a world of hurt if you put effort and energy into it. Paddling uses much different muscle groups, most of them smaller muscle groups that 99% of people don't focus out in the gym. For me, if I were to hit the water today, I'd be sore after an hour or two of being on the water, and thats just from lack of using and working my paddling muscles for so long.

One of my friends is quite a bit stronger than me (thats an understatement) in the gym. However, put us in the water in outrigger canoes, and I'll paddle circles around him whether its sprinting or distance.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #34

Yeah, I totally understand that, I wouldn't expect to instantly become a top rower because of my gym strength. It'll probably take me a while to perfect the technique as well.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #35

So I'm in RGL now, excited bout my first race at the FCRCC regatta. Who's in what team this year?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM   #36

Quote:
So I'm in RGL now, excited bout my first race at the FCRCC regatta. Who's in what team this year?
Ooo, sorry to hear that. j/k They're an awesome bunch. If I wasn't so competitive, I'd be paddling with them. Make sure you go to all their fund-raising events, they're always a blast.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Ooo, sorry to hear that. j/k They're an awesome bunch. If I wasn't so competitive, I'd be paddling with them. Make sure you go to all their fund-raising events, they're always a blast.
They're probably a bit different than you remember. A lot of the old guard has gone and there's a lot of new people to the team. But the spirit has been maintained
Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #38
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
i think the important thing to understand from this msg is to NOT miss the fundraising events coz of the RGL girls! lol

speaking of which, my friend is in RGL this year too, u should have plenty of fun in that team! enjoy the season to the fullest!
TracerFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerFX View Post
i think the important thing to understand from this msg is to NOT miss the fundraising events coz of the RGL girls! lol

speaking of which, my friend is in RGL this year too, u should have plenty of fun in that team! enjoy the season to the fullest!
*ahem*May 17th at Crush*ahem* We magically sold out of tickets in the past week

Seriously though, most of the girls are either taken or too old for me (I'm 25) or a combination of both lol. Eye candy is always nice though I guess
Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #40

Quote:
RGL has always been a good team and you guys should be able to give a few of the other comp teams, like Magnum and Scotia Dragons, a good run for their money at the regatta. If you enjoy practice, just wait until you get a race or two under your belt...

My team won't be at the regatta, but we'll of course be there for the Alcan tune-up in early June. Look for us in the RED uniforms...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #41

Quote:
Seriously though, most of the girls are either taken or too old for me (I'm 25) or a combination of both lol. Eye candy is always nice though I guess

lol, true dat. Eye candy is eye candy...cant be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
If you enjoy practice, just wait until you get a race or two under your belt...
QFT! The feeling of being neck to neck with boats on both sides of you, while giving it ur all sorta gives you a feeling of being high from db adrenaline, trust me you will be addicted. Its pretty much a hate it or love it sport. You'd never see a guy who's been doing it for a while say 'its ok' when u ask them how they feel abt dragonboating.

btw, what team are you in Tapioca?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #42

Quote:
RGL has always been a good team and you guys should be able to give a few of the other comp teams, like Magnum and Scotia Dragons
I dunno how the coach feels, but I think we'll be looking over at Magnum seeing at how they placed 2nd in the Deep Cove 200m sprint a few weeks ago, and we beat them at Kelowna for 3rd. They practice 3 times a week though so they deserve to be there

Last edited by RacePace; 05-08-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #43

Quote:
I dunno how the coach feels, but I think we'll be looking over at Magnum seeing at how they placed 2nd in the Deep Cove 200m sprint a few weeks ago, and we beat them at Kelowna for 3rd. They practice 3 times a week though so they deserve to be there
Magnum is pretty hardcore and I think they're trying to give FCRCC a good run this year. However, they are on the smaller side which is why they were able to take 2nd an a 200m race. RGL has always been a heavier team and unless you guys lost a tonne of guys, you should be able to compete with the higher level Competitive teams at Alcan.

Quote:
btw, what team are you in Tapioca?
I'm managing Red Fusion this year.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Magnum is pretty hardcore and I think they're trying to give FCRCC a good run this year. However, they are on the smaller side which is why they were able to take 2nd an a 200m race. RGL has always been a heavier team and unless you guys lost a tonne of guys, you should be able to compete with the higher level Competitive teams at Alcan.
It's pretty impossible to match FCRCC with a regular club I think. Our coach is in FCRCC and he paddles 6-8 times a week just in hopes to make the team that's going to Prague. Yeah we did lose quite a few, our team is about 50% new paddlers (including myself). But we've started off better than we did last year (so I've heard), so I think we will probably aim for Comp B again.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #45

Who is your guys' coach this year?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #46

Quote:
they are on the smaller side
That's one of the things that drives us actually, to know that its all mental and not sheer power that wins races. I remember so many times last year when we would wait in line between HUGE teams (ie: sandwiched between Sudden Impact Black and Navy) and looking pretty damn small hahaha

Quote:
It's pretty impossible to match FCRCC with a regular club I think. Our coach is in FCRCC and he paddles 6-8 times a week just in hopes to make the team that's going to Prague.
Yea being able to try running along with FCRCC is cool but they are definitely the hardcore of hardcores...i mean that many times on the water + gym + gf/wife/kids + full time job/school is harsh. That much time spent on the hardwork and maybe u wont even get to the A team? lol. it would be cool to try to qualify for the A team just for sake of the experience..

Quote:
Who is your guys' coach this year?
no change from last year
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #47

Sorry, I was out of province last year. The last coach I know of is Darwin. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here.

As for being the "hardcore of hardcore", it was a huge trade-off for me for the years I was paddling with FCRCC. Working full-time and it being shift work, I found it difficult to juggle work, paddling, the gym, friends, and family. As a result, I cut back on "friend and family time". In the long run, being able to race in the Club Crews and the Worlds was an awesome experience. They're an awesome group of men and women who are very passionate about what they do and to have been able to be as fast as them on the water was something I didn't think was possible when I first started paddling. It took/takes a lot of sacrifice to get to that level and honestly, I'm enjoying my free time this year. I was asked to come back for some of the larger races, but my work schedule is working against me on each one this year. Maybe next year?
Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #48

Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #49

Australia was an awesome experience, no doubt about it. To race amongst the world's best with what was essentially a Club Crew and put in a decent showing (despite what some of the paddlers out east seem to think) was a thrill I can't describe.

I didn't have an understanding girlfriend in the lead-up to Australia, and things ended between us in the months prior to leaving. That left me lots more free time for paddling. Right now, my job is what's holding me back from committing to a team and more specifically, to FCRCC.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #50

Last edited by RacePace; 01-26-2012 at 07:40 AM.