REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Online shoppers: I need some quick advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/515546-online-shoppers-i-need-some-quick-advice.html)

!Yaminashi 01-29-2008 10:35 PM

Online shoppers: I need some quick advice

Ok, i really need someone to shed some light on me here.

So hopefully enough of you are avid online shoppers.

So I was on djpremium.com and came across a hoodie that REALLY caught my eye.

Anyway, I filled out the order form and after shipping costs, the total calculated amount was $294.95, but next to tax, it says $0.00

So whats the deal?
What will I be paying?

NOTE: I have not ordered it yet.

I just need to know exactly what charges I'll be paying.

Thanks

_inwonderland 01-30-2008 12:50 AM

They can only charge you tax if they have a tax license (it's usually where they have stores or where they're operating from) for your state/province, which they don't so no need to worry about that.

As for Canada Customs taxing...take a look on the djpremium site, it talks about it there.

Ch28 01-30-2008 01:03 AM

Ship it to TSB Shipping in Point Roberts. Go pick it up and wear it back across the border. I'd buy some other things and ship it there too just to make it not seem as suspicious.

Harvey Specter 01-30-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by _inwonderland
They can only charge you tax if they have a tax license (it's usually where they have stores or where they're operating from) for your state/province, which they don't so no need to worry about that.

As for Canada Customs taxing...take a look on the djpremium site, it talks about it there.

Yup, the tax only applies to residents that live in the State the business is located in.

!Yaminashi 01-30-2008 08:46 AM

Thanks guys.

I took a look on the djpremium site after wonderland's suggestion.

Its probably best if I buy locally.

I'd be charged:
20-30% - Customs/Duty
GST + PST
$8.00 USD - FedEX processing fee

Ouch:(

Meowjin 01-30-2008 10:58 AM

I don't think I have ever been once charged duties for clothing.

!Yaminashi 01-30-2008 11:09 AM

Either way, I'll just save myself the trouble

forgamez 01-30-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ch28
Ship it to TSB Shipping in Point Roberts. Go pick it up and wear it back across the border. I'd buy some other things and ship it there too just to make it not seem as suspicious.
If you cross the border and come back immediately, don't the border guards get suspicious?

What do you tell them when cross the border going in and out of Point Roberts?

Just curious as to what to say to get around having to pay taxes, as that would be great.

unit 01-30-2008 02:47 PM

^read the second part of his sentence......?

nlinkz 01-30-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by unit03
^read the second part of his sentence......?
yeah what he said..
buy some other cheap things or something and claim those...and just wear the hoodie...

mickz 01-31-2008 01:24 AM

Just declare it when you cross the border. It's not worth the risk of being blacklisted just to save a couple of bucks.

InvisibleSoul 01-31-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MajinHurricane
I don't think I have ever been once charged duties for clothing.
Then you've been lucky. Clothing that's not made in North American doesn't just have the standard taxes, they also have duty.

Meowjin 01-31-2008 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by InvisibleSoul
Then you've been lucky. Clothing that's not made in North American doesn't just have the standard taxes, they also have duty.
No not really. Do you have the provision in the NAFTA act? I'm pretty sure most clothing that has its base of operations in the United States is exempt from duties.

heshmat 01-31-2008 09:05 PM

Please don't waste your money on Christian Audigier. It's so disgusting and cliched.

!Yaminashi 02-01-2008 09:16 AM

i knew someone would come along and say that. However i happen to genuinely like a few clothing items.

But thanks for your concern and opinion

RacePace 02-01-2008 09:21 AM

ship by Postal, the customs fees are lower than if you ship by Courier

InvisibleSoul 02-01-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

No not really. Do you have the provision in the NAFTA act? I'm pretty sure most clothing that has its base of operations in the United States is exempt from duties.
No, I don't know the details of the NAFTA act, but I have no idea where you got that idea from. I have never heard of anything like that. As far as I knew, it COMPLETELY depends on where the item it made, not where the base of operations is located.

If what you said is true, then Nike apparel would never be subject to duties. I KNOW that isn't true.

Meowjin 02-01-2008 12:40 PM

I ordered alot of j.lindeberg stuff and alot of stuff made in italy sweden and china and I have never had to pay duties... but I have had to pay the taxes.

aperfectcircle 02-03-2008 06:06 PM

I was raped on duties when I bought a Marc Jacobs jacket once. Like it turned out to be $50 on top of the $180 I paid. I'm also terrible at lying so it's hard for me to sneak anything through a border. That's when I quit online shopping... unless you're some sort of hypebeast who really cares it's not worth the trouble.

bossxx 02-03-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by forgamez
If you cross the border and come back immediately, don't the border guards get suspicious?

What do you tell them when cross the border going in and out of Point Roberts?

Just curious as to what to say to get around having to pay taxes, as that would be great.

The US and Canada borders have no connection. They have no clue how long you've been in the country.

However if you cross the US border twice in one day or whatever they obviously have record of that (why you would do that beats me).

bcedhk 02-03-2008 08:06 PM

just buy a few items online and ship it to TSB.. wear the clothing, and declare other stuff.

i ordered a pair of jeans, and shoes.. but i also ordered an exhaust which was shipped all to TSB.. the item was on hold there for a week, and i picked it up.. I declared the item and was charged tax only cause US made items = no duty fee!!

Harvey Specter 02-04-2008 04:31 AM

I find that a few online retailers i've ordered in the past have become real anal about putting a lower value or even marking the package as a gift. I think it might have to do with the amount of Canadian buyers they're dealing with since our dollar went up.

Meowjin 02-04-2008 08:41 AM

BECAUSE ITS ILLEGAL.

Meowjin 02-04-2008 08:41 AM

BECAUSE ITS ILLEGAL.

InvisibleSoul 02-04-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

I ordered alot of j.lindeberg stuff and alot of stuff made in italy sweden and china and I have never had to pay duties... but I have had to pay the taxes.
Dunno what to say about that... maybe you've just been lucky and whoever processes your packages have never cared. *Shrug*