REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 07-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #826
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
they're unsanforized denim, so make sure you size up and give them a soak before you start wearing them. one of the guys at self edge was wearing the exact pair and recommended it to me. his were probably close to a year in wear, and they looked great. i was sold.
Just a question. Maybe I'm noob, but with raw denim, aren't u supposed to wear them out before you soak them? Which usually takes at least 6 months
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #827
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ I read that soaking them prevents them from fading in the wrong spot. Soak/washing for the first time will make the denim warp, and if you wear them before soaking them, your fades will shift.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #828
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
I was thinking the reason mite be because the nudie thin Finns aren't tue selvedge that there wouldn't be dramatic fades on them, but apparently that is not the case. I've seen some pics of some pretty dope fades on thin Finns.
i think you're a little confused about the terminology. selvege has nothing to do with the way the denim wears. its just the way the fabric is terminated. the raw state of the denim is the reason why it is able to wear out the way it does.

Quote:
Just a question. Maybe I'm noob, but with raw denim, aren't u supposed to wear them out before you soak them? Which usually takes at least 6 months
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuusha View Post
^ I read that soaking them prevents them from fading in the wrong spot. Soak/washing for the first time will make the denim warp, and if you wear them before soaking them, your fades will shift.
sanforized denim, which most denim is, does not need a soak at all. you just wear it from day one and thats fine. unsanforized denim like the strike golds, havent been treated with chemicals that prevent it from shrinking. so when you buy them you have to soak them first to shrink them down to size. when you buy unsanforized you have to size up, because it will shrink about 10%. i bought the iron hearts in 32 and the strike golds in 33 for that reason.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #829
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i think you're a little confused about the terminology. selvege has nothing to do with the way the denim wears. its just the way the fabric is terminated. the raw state of the denim is the reason why it is able to wear out the way it does.

sanforized denim, which most denim is, does not need a soak at all. you just wear it from day one and thats fine. unsanforized denim like the strike golds, havent been treated with chemicals that prevent it from shrinking. so when you buy them you have to soak them first to shrink them down to size. when you buy unsanforized you have to size up, because it will shrink about 10%. i bought the iron hearts in 32 and the strike golds in 33 for that reason.
+1
I like to wear them in the shower for that initial soak. Feels good man
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #830
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
WG Regular Indigo 5-6 months of wear
1 cold soak
1 cold machine wash
Sorry for crappy iphone pics..

RevYouUp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #831
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Looking good
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #832
Work hard, Play Hard - Wiz

Thanked 2,011 Times in 368 Posts
Noob question here guys, I don't have that much knowledge about denim.
Anyways, I'm looking in to getting some R&R's that are straight legged. Any where I can get them locally or online?
604778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #833
#savethemanuals

^ Holt Renfrew? I'm not too sure where to buy r&r though.

Here's an update of my Somet 008 that I've had for 8 months with around 6-7 months of total wear. No washes and no soaks yet. Pics are from an iphone so quality is so-so. Picture heavy so spoilered.

Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 07-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #834
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post

Here's an update of my Somet 008 that I've had for 8 months with around 6-7 months of total wear. No washes and no soaks yet. Pics are from an iphone so quality is so-so. Picture heavy so spoilered.

Spoiler!
Beauty! How much does the denim weigh?
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #835
#savethemanuals

13.8oz.

I never really understood what weight does though. Is heavier better and why? There's the 21oz iron hearts and I think a 26oz(!) NF.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #836
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:

Spoiler!
i like your stacks, man.
areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #837
#savethemanuals

That comes from the original 35 inseam and being a small asian guy
Old 07-31-2011, 02:47 PM   #838
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604778 View Post
Noob question here guys, I don't have that much knowledge about denim.
Anyways, I'm looking in to getting some R&R's that are straight legged. Any where I can get them locally or online?
get real and come out from that rock bro. raw selvedge is the trend now, not the old and retired rr shit. They used to be dope as hell back in the days, but they're bankrupt now and are being sold for ridiculously low prices. Major loss in value for these jeans.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #839
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
why would HR even carry R&R anymore lol.. a brand that has gone downhill

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #840
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
now now, if you convinced everyone to dress like you what good would that be?
Posted via RS Mobile
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #841
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
get real and come out from that rock bro. raw selvedge is the trend now, not the old and retired rr shit. They used to be dope as hell back in the days, but they're bankrupt now and are being sold for ridiculously low prices. Major loss in value for these jeans.
Although I agree with you, there is no need to rip on him for asking where to buy Rocks, thats his choice. Keep your personal opinions to yourself.

Enjoy what you wear and let others enjoy what they wear.
DemonsBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #842
#savethemanuals

^ Agree and please don't get into raw denim just because you think its a trend or its cool now. You'll probably give up on a pair really fast or buy too many and regret it.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #843
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
That comes from the original 35 inseam and being a small asian guy
Haha how tall?
I'm 5'6 and the typical n&f 35" inseam gave me dem stacks.. And then I machine washed them and my stacks reset
Posted via RS Mobile
areyounoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 AM   #844
#savethemanuals

Same height! What's the fit of your n&f? I think stacks only work when the leg opening is very tapered like 7 inches or less across.

And somehow I don't think my stacks are going away even if I wash my jeans lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #845
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
13.8oz.

I never really understood what weight does though. Is heavier better and why? There's the 21oz iron hearts and I think a 26oz(!) NF.
Heavy = warm. You also get a more unique fade from heavier denim (like a thick cardboard creasing)

I have a N&F 13.8 for the warm days and a 21oz for the cold winter months.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #846
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
^ Agree and please don't get into raw denim just because you think its a trend or its cool now. You'll probably give up on a pair really fast or buy too many and regret it.

I apologize if my post came out sounding rude, but it wouldn't be the wisest thing to spend a couple of bills on a pair of jeans that are overhyped and are losing value. Honestly, with fashion, people follow trends, and although people may say "I like to wear what I wear and I don't like to blend in with the crowd", their outfit would still, more or less conform to the modern day trend.

Would you ever rock a pair of flares and walk around the street, then, come back to this thread, and openly discuss with everyone, the cheapest place to buy them? That being said, I used to love rrs. Let's face it, the only reason you would want to buy a pair of rocks is for that back pocket stitching. Why? Because it shows status and is a fashion icon. But when that icon gets overhyped and at one point, goes bankrupt, is there really still a need to rape your wallet for such a thing?

I have a thing for raw selvedges, mainly because of the quality, but also for the craftsmanship and fit. When it comes to raw selvedges, there really isn't an indication of status or something that screams designer. Its what makes raw selvedge that much more unique, personal, and less accomodating.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #847
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
Heavy = warm. You also get a more unique fade from heavier denim (like a thick cardboard creasing)

I have a N&F 13.8 for the warm days and a 21oz for the cold winter months.
gosh, it must be like walking with leg weights when your jeans soak up with water. Doubt I'd ever try the 21oz
Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #848
#savethemanuals

Quote:
I have a thing for raw selvedges, mainly because of the quality, but also for the craftsmanship and fit. When it comes to raw selvedges, there really isn't an indication of status or something that screams designer. Its what makes raw selvedge that much more unique, personal, and less accomodating.
That's what I thought too when I started looking for raw denim way back then! Understated quality and total attention to details and fit.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #849
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought too when I started looking for raw denim way back then! Understated quality and total attention to details and fit.
Agreed! Jeans like true religion and R&R are meant as status symbols, hence their massive signature pocket stitching and why they appeal to a very different segment of the population than those who prefer raw denim. Raw denim is about definitely about quality and details, things like the denim and construction, as opposed to the wash.

I'm breaking in a pair of AIKA Jin at the moment, I can't wait till fall to start wearing them more often.

Quote:
gosh, it must be like walking with leg weights when your jeans soak up with water. Doubt I'd ever try the 21oz
N&F is releasing a 32oz jean this fall, apparently they'll only making 50 pairs and I'm a bit curious about trying them out.

Last edited by MindBomber; 08-01-2011 at 02:44 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #850
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post

N&F is releasing a 32oz jean this fall, apparently they'll only making 50 pairs and I'm a bit curious about trying them out.
notsureifserious.