REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   good place for Tan Tan mein? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/521848-good-place-tan-tan-mein.html)

tecra2 03-10-2008 09:12 AM

good place for Tan Tan mein?

I am trying to look for a good place to eat the kind of noodles in peanut butter soace.

List list a few places.

Gumby 03-10-2008 09:42 AM

Dumb question - Is Tan Tan mein supposed to be spicy?

Edit: the reason I ask is I just had some at Shanghai River (in Richmond, across from the Bay). I tried a bit when it first came out and it was pretty darn spicy (at least the soup portion). Then I had another bowl later, and that wasn't spicy at all. Perhaps the peanut sauce hides the spiciness?

SkinnyPupp 03-10-2008 10:39 AM

Yup it's spicy

The place across from Public Market used to have pretty good dam dam mein for like $2 or $3. But after a while, they started using less and less peanut sauce, and the bowls got smaller and smaller. And the rest of the food always sucked. Too bad, it was pretty yummy and for a good deal for a while :(

Aside from that, I haven't really found a good place for it in Vancouver.

TRDood 03-10-2008 11:25 AM

that taste the same to me everywhere..

Girl 03-10-2008 11:34 AM

yup spicy, nutty, creamy. If you don't like spicy, ask for non-spicy.

Levitron 03-10-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SkinnyPupp
Yup it's spicy

The place across from Public Market used to have pretty good dam dam mein for like $2 or $3. But after a while, they started using less and less peanut sauce, and the bowls got smaller and smaller. And the rest of the food always sucked. Too bad, it was pretty yummy and for a good deal for a while :(

Aside from that, I haven't really found a good place for it in Vancouver.

Moutai was the name of the place I think.

I think that used to be the best too! Then they cheaped out and now it sucks.

bcrdukes 03-10-2008 04:54 PM

Moutai moved to I think Continental Centre? The joint that took over Moutai still serves tan-tan noodles but it sucks like Levitron said. The original Moutai that moved serves it the same way they used to always make it.

There's a joint inside Crystal Mall at the food court. The place is the furthest one to the south of the food court - some kind of Shanghainese restaurant. It's not as cheap as Moutai for $2 :D but not as good neither but it was the second best I was able to find to Moutai.

miss_crayon 03-10-2008 10:55 PM

ningtuuuuuuu on kingsway/gladstone

Ronin 03-11-2008 03:40 AM

No, Moutai is now at Pacific Plaza or something...the mall at the intersection of Cambie and Garden City. Still $1.99 bowls (which are decently sized) and all the rest of the old menu is there too.

The place that is where Moutai used to be is also Tan Tan noodles...same prices but not as good.

syee 03-11-2008 06:53 AM

I think Northern Delicacy (I think that's what it's called) in Aberdeen has it. (It's the place below Fisherman's Terrace and next to 7th Heaven?

Oooh...Ningtu...man...I haven't been there in so long and I live like 10 minutes walk away from it....I need to go there one of these days... :D

Shun Izaki 03-11-2008 08:19 AM

I just buy the mix from a place in Crystal, and make my own at home ;)

The sauce cup thing lasts for a good 2-3 servings :D

sweetiee 03-21-2008 11:56 AM

New Moutai has the bessttt tam tam meen that I've tasted. =)

RacePace 03-21-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Gumby
Dumb question - Is Tan Tan mein supposed to be spicy?

Edit: the reason I ask is I just had some at Shanghai River (in Richmond, across from the Bay). I tried a bit when it first came out and it was pretty darn spicy (at least the soup portion). Then I had another bowl later, and that wasn't spicy at all. Perhaps the peanut sauce hides the spiciness?

if it isn't spicy, it sucks IMO

Jermyzy 03-21-2008 06:49 PM

there's a restaurant in Aberdeen that makes a decent one, but it's not that spicy.

optiblue 03-24-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetiee (Post 5769408)
New Moutai has the bessttt tam tam meen that I've tasted. =)

Agreed~ The place across from Richmond Public Market is now called "New Moutai" and they have some of the best spicy food around town that I've tried so far. My fav's include blackpepper chicken (pepper leaves and spicy chicken) and this other dish that I'll get the name next time!

As for the old owners, they have moved to Pacific Plaza and are now called "Hai Jun." Amazingly, they suck horribly now IMO. Sure their dishes are all relatively larger, but their soup tastes like salt + water, my blackpepper chicken tasted like candy (way too much sugar), and if you guys eat those deep fried white roll things, their sweet condensed milk dip was way past expired which was nasty. The only plus about Hai Jun is that the resturaunt looks newer and there's more parking available.

SkinnyPupp 03-24-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optiblue (Post 5772552)
Agreed~ The place across from pacific plaza is now called "New Moutai" and they have some of the best spicy food around town that I've tried so far. My fav's include blackpepper chicken (pepper leaves and spicy chicken) and this other dish that I'll get the name next time!

Hmm cool, I'll have to try that place when I go back. Which one is Pacific Plaza?

optiblue 03-25-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 5772574)
Hmm cool, I'll have to try that place when I go back. Which one is Pacific Plaza?

OMG I totally screwed up my post (edited now) I meant to say it's across from "Richmond Public Market". If you're going west on Westminster Hwy towards #3, New Moutai is in one of the complex's on your right hand side before you hit #3 Road. It's probably the same location that you tried it before at until it got smaller and worse, but I wouldn't be suprised if it were the old owners since the ones they make now are excellent. Give it another shot~ it's actually very good now and you can request extra spicy if you can take it too~!

Here's the best map I can cook up:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...=16&iwloc=addr

SkinnyPupp 03-25-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optiblue (Post 5775340)
OMG I totally screwed up my post (edited now) I meant to say it's across from "Richmond Public Market". If you're going west on Westminster Hwy towards #3, New Moutai is in one of the complex's on your right hand side before you hit #3 Road. It's probably the same location that you tried it before at until it got smaller and worse, but I wouldn't be suprised if it were the old owners since the ones they make now are excellent. Give it another shot~ it's actually very good now and you can request extra spicy if you can take it too~!

Here's the best map I can cook up:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...=16&iwloc=addr

Ah you could have just said "where the old Moutai was" and I'd fully understand ;)

OK another restaurant on my checklist for when I come back this summer!

Levitron 03-25-2008 11:27 PM

LOL....RS tan tan noodle meet :D

MelonBoy 03-26-2008 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 5750963)
ningtuuuuuuu on kingsway/gladstone

ningtuuu is your answer to all shanghainess :eek5r:

optiblue 03-26-2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levitron (Post 5775506)
LOL....RS tan tan noodle meet :D

I'd be in~ :thumbsup:

rice cooker 03-27-2008 03:09 PM

icafe.....................

Expresso 03-28-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelonBoy (Post 5775801)
ningtuuu is your answer to all shanghainess :eek5r:

crappy shanghainess yea!

Si Ed 03-29-2008 02:22 AM

#9 they have a spicy one and a non spicy one

suprasian 03-30-2008 08:14 PM

if u guys wanna go to vancouver, theres a scheszuan (sp) chinese place on the corner of 12th and commercial. its been there for years and im sure many of u guys at least driven by it. i had it there today for the 1st time and it was quite good