REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Print out sticker Front License plate

I have seen many cars, such as porsches, audi r8s, ferrari, lambos put what it seems to be a print out sticker substituting the front license plate. Is this legal? and do they get it from icbc or do they just make it themselves. And if they do make it themselves, I'm guessing this is not legal

heres an example of it, hope the person who took this picture don't mind me using it.
* for some reason i can't attach an image in this thread so heres a link to the pic

Advertisement

Last edited by KayC; 03-31-2008 at 04:51 PM.
KayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Dang... I've never seen those before Pretty mint actually!!

First I've heard of these... I'll assume it's illegal, because it's not an actual metal plate like those that ICBC issues...
Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
That's kinda cool!
Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Retired Traffic Cop

Unfortunately, it's not legal.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Not legal.... but may look less heaty... I have seen guys who get copies of their plates made and then they stick them on... that one looked like a Photoshop/Illustrator Mockup... The really good ones I have seen you can even see the groove around the edge of the plate!

I still love the Nevada Plate law that one must only put a front plate on if the car is designed for it... I hate that we are expected to drill holes in the front of our cars... But that is another discussion entirely that has happened too many times!!

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I suppose it's better than running no plate at all, but any cop could give you a ticket because it still isn't a licence plate regardless of how accurate it may be.

"I don't have my drivers licence with me officer, however I did create this photoshop rendition of what my licence looks like. I'd say I did a good job, I even got a few of my little chest hairs in there...See"
synn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Now, my question to the officers here would be whether or not you'd enforce the law here. Assuming the car was being driven respectfully, and the plate on the front matched the one on the back, was clearly visible/legible, etc etc, would you bother pulling the guy over? Seems to be another classic case of spirit of the law vs. letter of the law...

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I think this would bring more attention to your car since you're making the "plate", they'd want to check if the plate actually matches your car.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 Z28 View Post
Assuming the car was being driven respectfully, and the plate on the front matched the one on the back, was clearly visible/legible, etc etc, would you bother pulling the guy over? Seems to be another classic case of spirit of the law vs. letter of the law...
Exactly. The owner is at least TRYING to satisfy the law, without having to drill holes in his car.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
It also has the appearance of the owner trying to pull something questionable (as ninjatune points out).

edit: And actually, it doesn't satisfy the spirit of the law, either. The SPIRIT is not to simply have a front plate, but to have a front plate that can be easily seen at night, and if necessary, photographed. Supplied plates are highly reflective to aid in this. The "sticker" plates are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 04-01-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Supplied plates are highly reflective to aid in this. The "sticker" plates are not.

I'm sure you can make "sticker" plates out of reflective material as well.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #12

And now you're trying to use semantics to "bypass" the spirit of the law.
Quote:
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #13

How so? If I had a something exotic, I'd have a big problem drilling holes in the front. If it came down to something uber rare like an old 250 GTO or something, I'd simply refuse to do it, I won't lie. I'm not taking my Rigid cordless to a hand-rolled aluminum panel that's literally irreplaceable. But I wouldn't have a problem having an exact duplicate of my issued front plate printed out on vinyl, with the proper reflective inks used because as far as anyone needed to know, it IS a front plate. It'd be just as visible as a normal plate, and wouldn't require disfiguring a front end that may cost tens of thousands of dollars... so how is that violating the spirit of the law?

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Number plates
12 (1) Each number plate must bear the licence number of the motor vehicle or trailer for which it is issued, and shall be of a material and design determined by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, and is and remains the property of the corporation.
Offences

13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway

(a) without the licence required by this Act for the operation of that motor vehicle or trailer having been first obtained and being then in force,

(b) without displaying on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plates issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer, or

(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
HELP ME PLS!!!

90% of the reason you have a front plate is to reflect radar back to the gun. which this one won't.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #17
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
90% of the reason you have a front plate is to reflect radar back to the gun. which this one won't.
and all the rest of the metal in the vehicle won't??

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #18
Retired Traffic Cop

Actually, my thought might turn to "where is the other plate?" Maybe on the guy's other vehicle with a Photoshopped validation decal??

Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #19

Maybe it's an age thing... I had no problem drilling holes in my aftermarket bumper, just to mount a plate... if I get pulled over less, for doing just that? It's worth it in my opinion. Sure, the bumper opening looks cooler without a plate obstructing it... but it's not worth the hassle. I might move to Alberta for work... so then I'll have a pair of holes to fill

Nevada may have that law... but I don't know any car that comes from the dealer without holes.. or at least some provision for mounting it stock... so you'd never get around it to begin with. However, what I DO like about the Nevada plates... the plates go with a person, not with a car... so you could move your plates between your daily driver and your weekend car... how about that, ICBC? No way...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Maybe it's an age thing... I had no problem drilling holes in my aftermarket bumper, just to mount a plate... if I get pulled over less, for doing just that? It's worth it in my opinion. Sure, the bumper opening looks cooler without a plate obstructing it... but it's not worth the hassle. I might move to Alberta for work... so then I'll have a pair of holes to fill

Nevada may have that law... but I don't know any car that comes from the dealer without holes.. or at least some provision for mounting it stock... so you'd never get around it to begin with. However, what I DO like about the Nevada plates... the plates go with a person, not with a car... so you could move your plates between your daily driver and your weekend car... how about that, ICBC? No way...
my car doesn't have holes in the front bumper for a plate, nor does it have any hardware to mount a plate. i had to put screws in my bumper to mount the plate, and i dont know how long they'll stay there.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #21

Factory bumper? What kind of car.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #22
I bringith the lowerballerith

You can order any factory bumper, and tell them not to drill holes in it. And if they're already drilled, they can easily fill them before painting to match the rest of the car.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 Z28 View Post
How so? If I had a something exotic, I'd have a big problem drilling holes in the front. If it came down to something uber rare like an old 250 GTO or something, I'd simply refuse to do it, I won't lie. I'm not taking my Rigid cordless to a hand-rolled aluminum panel that's literally irreplaceable. But I wouldn't have a problem having an exact duplicate of my issued front plate printed out on vinyl, with the proper reflective inks used because as far as anyone needed to know, it IS a front plate. It'd be just as visible as a normal plate, and wouldn't require disfiguring a front end that may cost tens of thousands of dollars...
So instead you'll gum up the paint job with the sticker adhesive? Yeah, okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Actually, my thought might turn to "where is the other plate?" Maybe on the guy's other vehicle with a Photoshopped validation decal??
As I said (and ninjatune as well)... it gives the appearance of something else being suspicious.

Quote:
If someone is that concerned about holes in the front bumper, maybe they need to get a little more imaginative. Construct a bracket for the plate that goes through the grill or under the bumper and attaches to the subframe or something. It's perfectly possible to stay legal without inflicting damage on your car's body... just need to be as creative with your fabricating skills as you are with your excuses
Quote:
Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Factory bumper? What kind of car.
my parents 350z doesnt have a spot for a license plate
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #25
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

a lotus elise doesn't come with holes for a front plate either.
Eclypz is offline   Reply With Quote