REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
my parents 350z doesnt have a spot for a license plate
Yes it does, it just needs the bracket. Any 350z sold new in Canada would have come with it. It is either installed when the car is PDI'd at the dealership apon arrival or kept with the car and provided with purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypz View Post
a lotus elise doesn't come with holes for a front plate either.
The bracket for the elise mounts up under the front bumper and comes up just infront of the lower lip. The have ones for euro plates too, any google image search will show you it.
Advertisement

Last edited by synn12; 04-01-2008 at 10:18 PM.
synn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
Banned (BBM)

He probably just wanted something that fits the thin bumper nicely, AKA the wide plates issued in Europe.

But we all know ICBC hates cars AND the people who drive them (as made evident by them selling write-offs without disclosure at auction...)
boxeraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxeraddict View Post
But we all know ICBC hates cars AND the people who drive them (as made evident by them selling write-offs without disclosure at auction...)
I think that is evidence for their love of money, not hate for people.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

see the word in the nevada law is "designed" and most cars are not "designed" to have a front plate on them... no vw is... no nissan is... no bentley, lambo, ferrari etc... in reality no car built by a manufacturer that is outside of north america "designs" a place to hold a front license plate... it is not visually appealing... and it kills the lines of the car! All the above stated brands require drilling or some modification to be made to the overall design of the car... also I think that it is bogus that our insurer issues plates and licenses! And I still ask why 5 provinces do not require a front plate... laws should be universal across the country... If the front plate was so important to be seen it would be lit up like the rear... and the headlights at night obscure the the plate as well... and the front plate actually helps with laser speed detection... radar doesn't need help of a reflective surface

/rant

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM

Last edited by yvrnycracer; 04-02-2008 at 07:14 PM.
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #30
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by synn12 View Post
Yes it does, it just needs the bracket. Any 350z sold new in Canada would have come with it. It is either installed when the car is PDI'd at the dealership apon arrival or kept with the car and provided with purchase.

The bracket for the elise mounts up under the front bumper and comes up just infront of the lower lip. The have ones for euro plates too, any google image search will show you it.
This is exactly my point - there isn't a vehicle today that comes without some provisions for mounting a front plate. Whether the dealer installs that mount or not, at your request, does not exempt you from the law... and the law is, two plates... one front, one rear... unmodified, unbent, unobstructed... not in the window... properly mounted, on the front of the car.

Such an easy concept... look at my car (in sig)... I drilled two holes for the front plate, and I can honestly say - I've never been pulled over in it.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
This is exactly my point - there isn't a vehicle today that comes without some provisions for mounting a front plate. Whether the dealer installs that mount or not, at your request, does not exempt you from the law... and the law is, two plates... one front, one rear... unmodified, unbent, unobstructed... not in the window... properly mounted, on the front of the car.

Such an easy concept... look at my car (in sig)... I drilled two holes for the front plate, and I can honestly say - I've never been pulled over in it.
Or as I pointed out earlier in the thread, if some of the creativity that goes into the excuses for not having a front plate mounted, were channeled into fabrication instead, there's no reason one can't MAKE an appropriate bracket and avoid drilling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #32
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

me nieghbours ferrari 430 doesnt have a front plate on it. he never got in trouble for it.
Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel

www.drivehard.ca

Last edited by es2k; 04-24-2008 at 05:11 PM.
es2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Or as I pointed out earlier in the thread, if some of the creativity that goes into the excuses for not having a front plate mounted, were channeled into fabrication instead, there's no reason one can't MAKE an appropriate bracket and avoid drilling.
I once saw a custom hot rod with an L shaped piece of metal for the bracket, long side of the L went under the car and attahced to a part of the frame. I looked under and he used wing nuts so you could take the plate and whole bracket off in like 20 seconds. So yeah, a little creativity can solve the mounting problem.

As to the sticker, doesn't anyone see a problem with making a "forgery" of a government issued plate? What's next, making copies of your drivers license and putting one in each car so you always have one to present to an officer?

It might be smart of ICBC to have a sticker as an option. Like custom plates. If they go through the trouble of making a custom plate, then why not allow a custom sticker? Then people who want one can pay for it.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
I once saw a custom hot rod with an L shaped piece of metal for the bracket, long side of the L went under the car and attahced to a part of the frame. I looked under and he used wing nuts so you could take the plate and whole bracket off in like 20 seconds. So yeah, a little creativity can solve the mounting problem.
Sounds pimpin'!

Quote:
As to the sticker, doesn't anyone see a problem with making a "forgery" of a government issued plate? What's next, making copies of your drivers license and putting one in each car so you always have one to present to an officer?
I was thinking the same kinda thing... what's the stop someone from making a fake front plate for the cameras?

Quote:
It might be smart of ICBC to have a sticker as an option. Like custom plates. If they go through the trouble of making a custom plate, then why not allow a custom sticker? Then people who want one can pay for it.
The stupid thing with this whole idea is still that the guys arguing against the front plates because they don't want to deface their precious cars by drilling mounting holes, are instead going to put some goopy sticker on their expensive paint jobs?? Puh-leeeeeze.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 PM   #35
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

if you have enough money to have a sticker for a license plate, damn... you'd have enough money to just pay off the 100 dollar ticket.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #36
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Sounds pimpin'!

I was thinking the same kinda thing... what's the stop someone from making a fake front plate for the cameras?

The stupid thing with this whole idea is still that the guys arguing against the front plates because they don't want to deface their precious cars by drilling mounting holes, are instead going to put some goopy sticker on their expensive paint jobs?? Puh-leeeeeze.
Just wanted to say, stickers do not damage the paint. All you do to remove it is attatch a rubber sander to a compressed air drill and it comes right off without damaging any paint what-so-ever. Although I have my own personal solution to my front bumper. I use a repair plate. You can't be pulled over, the car is "under repairs" and it's a special plate number format so police don't even bother pulling you over.
JMFerreira7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:06 AM   #37
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFerreira7 View Post
Although I have my own personal solution to my front bumper. I use a repair plate. You can't be pulled over, the car is "under repairs" and it's a special plate number format so police don't even bother pulling you over.
You can be pulled over. I always check repair plates.

Quote:
Repairer's licence
44 (1) For the purpose of this section, "repairer's garage" means a place of business primarily designed or used for the purpose of repairing motor vehicles or trailers, but does not include a place of business from which motive fuel, lubricating oil, antifreeze or other similar products, and services incidental to them, are sold or provided except in relation to repairs.

(2) The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia may, on receiving an application in the form the corporation requires, and payment of the prescribed fee, and payment of the insurance fee prescribed under the Insurance (Vehicle) Act, issue to the owner of a repairer's garage a repairer's licence and the number of corresponding number plates that the owner applies for.
(3) A motor vehicle or trailer being driven, operated or towed on a highway by the owner of a repairer's garage, or his or her agent or employee, for the purpose of repairing, testing or rendering a service incidental to the repairing or testing, of the motor vehicle or trailer, and that has attached to it a number plate issued to the owner under subsection (2), is deemed to be sufficiently registered and licensed for the purposes of this Act and the Commercial Transport Act.
There are plenty of checks we can do to ensure that the plate isn't being mis-used. If the plate is being mis-used, its a No Insurance ticket, seizure of the plates and a tow truck at the driver's expense to be parked somewhere legally.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I stop every repairer plate... Half the time they are being used contrary to the law.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #39
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

if you own an exotic car, you can surely pay the $100 ticket for no front plate.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #40
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
I stop every repairer plate... Half the time they are being used contrary to the law.
the best is seeing dealer plates at 1am....
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #41
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I always suspect something is amiss when I see dealer plates permanently attached to a very dirty (but new looking) vehicle..
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #42
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
I always suspect something is amiss when I see dealer plates permanently attached to a very dirty (but new looking) vehicle..
Yeah, some clown is abusing the test drive!

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #43
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If you were to go to ICBC, and get them to Designate the sticker as the second Number Plate, it would be legit, still get you pulled over, but legit, i see why everyone requires a front plate, but i see all those farm vehicles, and other road working equipment driving around on public roads with no plate / only a rear, and i dont see cops pulling them over, and if its a case of it being a construction vehicle, get the insurance company to declare your car a construction vehicle.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
If you were to go to ICBC, and get them to Designate the sticker as the second Number Plate, it would be legit, still get you pulled over, but legit, i see why everyone requires a front plate, but i see all those farm vehicles, and other road working equipment driving around on public roads with no plate / only a rear, and i dont see cops pulling them over, and if its a case of it being a construction vehicle, get the insurance company to declare your car a construction vehicle.
WAT
Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #45
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Yep...plenty of high speed pursuits with them front end loaders and rollers...some roller chases have been known to reach 8kmh!!!! Plate flipper sales are huge for owners of Cat D5's I hear.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #46
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Regardless, even if I get a $100 ticket for no front plate I wouldn't mind paying it if it only happens once every 2 weeks or so.
JMFerreira7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #47
My homepage has been set to RS

Civics have holes drilled into the front by the dealer to mount the front plates. Some of the US cars don't have this hole and even some civics up here don't have the hole drilled.
Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFerreira7 View Post
Regardless, even if I get a $100 ticket for no front plate I wouldn't mind paying it if it only happens once every 2 weeks or so.
B-b-b-b-ballin'
Quote:
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #49
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Quote:
This could just be an employees demo car...
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:34 PM   #50
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

My car didn't have one either. It was a sunfire. LOL
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote