REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #2676
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,920 Times in 582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
The moon at UBC .... my daily lunch... combo A.. $4.50...fried rice with sweet and sour pork..... for some reason I still haven't gotten old of it. it deserves a 100/10
I think you missed a minus sign in there.
-100/10.

I think your tastebuds are desensitized by eating there so much. Lol
Advertisement
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #2677
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
^meh, when you're a broke student, who cares what you eat for lunch as long as its 4.50 and gets you full
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #2678
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Cheap eats FTW
Posted via RS Mobile
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #2679
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageguy View Post
Try "Special A". Salted fish diced chicken fried rice. It's not bad at all. Also, their beef brisket egg noodle is awesome too.
Thanks, I`ll give it a try next time I'm there, today was basically my last day of school for this year tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Is that the place under the music building? Do they still have the ugly red chairs?
I don't think so, It's at the SUB (downstairs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
I think you missed a minus sign in there.
-100/10.

I think your tastebuds are desensitized by eating there so much. Lol
When ever I'm super hungry, this is satisfying ( to me anyway )

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
^meh, when you're a broke student, who cares what you eat for lunch as long as its 4.50 and gets you full

YES!
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #2680

A&W
Tried the Grandma Prime Rib Burger
4/5
The horseradish sauce bumped this up +1
Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #2681
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Is that the place under the music building? Do they still have the ugly red chairs?
That's Yum-Yums - it underwent renovations about a year ago. Haven't been there since though..
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #2682

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Taco Luis

10/10

Lived up to the hype.

Had the 10" special + crispy burrito. Total was ~$9.75 b/w two ppl. Stuffed as heck. Delicious as fuck.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 AM   #2683

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo_s13 View Post
Cheap eats FTW
Posted via RS Mobile

This is my cheap fix, Hana Sushi @ Crystal Mall food court.

$6.95 for all of this including miso soup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #2684
Banned (ABWS)

Corner 23 on cambie and 23rd ave had it a few nights ago

7/10. Good beefnoodles but service kinda let it down. They are known for the best pork hock and it's pretty good actually except for the dipping sauce. left a bad after taste in my mouth.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #2685
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
This.

I fucking HATE the noodle box. Same thing for the one in Victoria.

All my white friends love that place and say how good asian food is because of it. I will never go there again.
Lol going back a page, I didn't realize how many people hate this place. I really only went because my friend (who happens to be a chinese dude from hk and is still in the process of being whitewashed) recommended it and how awesome it was. Place was full of shit and dirty as fuck.

There were 2/5 tables seated cafeteria style and 5/5 of the tables had dirty bowls and shit all over it. I had to wait 15 minutes for them to "bao" my noodles and "chow" my veggies and the place wasn't even busy enough for them not to clean up the place. This place is not any cleaner than an authentic chinese place run by real chinese people.

Chicken is scooped from a metal tin, veggies are scooped with the same utensil as raw meat. This place has teenage kids and green-under-the-collar college kids cooking your shit. I highly doubt anyone there is food-safe certified. Fuck, if it was this dirty, I'd rather go to a real chinese place run by a real chinese dude who's fresh off the boat, with a "license" and get my noodles prepared in under 3 minutes.

Fuck this place,and the mother fuckin' boat it sailed the fuck in from. Fuck.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #2686
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Brado's Pizza + the Lebanese place beside it (The place is actually like a mini food court).

I've been doing a bit of research on the various food forums and it seems that Brado's is supposed to have the best poutine in the city, so I had to hunt it down and give it a shot.

I got a thin crust meat lover's pizza. The pizza was just meh, nothing special, I wouldn't even call it good. Sure the crust was thin, but not nearly enough gluten content and wasn't even crispy.

The poutine was hyped up quite a bit, supposedly well balanced, the fries were supposed to be very solid and the gravy was supposed to be the same stuff they use in montreal. As the poutine was the purpose of my visit I had high expectation. I was totally disappointed though, the fries were over cooked, no longer crispy, they were on they were crunchy. The insides weren't soft and potatoey, but rather verging on dry and powdery, they were noticeably grainy. Although the gravy would have what I would call the perfect consistency, the flavor profile just wasn't there. There was no meaty richness and it seemed like it had almost no salt content. Let me put it this way, as salty as the costco gravy is, this is on the total opposite end of the spectrum. I can make better beef gravy in my sleep.

The lebanese place was okish. The owners seemed kind of pushy, kind of like at a cheap food court. I got the combo plate, the schawarma chicken came out just a touch dry (I don't think they have very good turnover). The hummous lacked the punch I expected, not nearly enough garlic or lemon juice. The sausage that came with it was just dry.

5/10 for both places.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #2687
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
^ive had the poutine there a year or two ago. i thought it was good but poutine really cant get much better than 8/10 for me.

fries + gravy + cheese curds just cant possibly make me 10/10 happy unless i am hammered.

maybe i just havent had one that was that good before
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #2688
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Brado's Pizza
The poutine was hyped up quite a bit, supposedly well balanced, the fries were supposed to be very solid and the gravy was supposed to be the same stuff they use in montreal. As the poutine was the purpose of my visit I had high expectation. I was totally disappointed though, the fries were over cooked, no longer crispy, they were on they were crunchy. The insides weren't soft and potatoey, but rather verging on dry and powdery, they were noticeably grainy. Although the gravy would have what I would call the perfect consistency, the flavor profile just wasn't there. There was no meaty richness and it seemed like it had almost no salt content. Let me put it this way, as salty as the costco gravy is, this is on the total opposite end of the spectrum. I can make better beef gravy in my sleep.

5/10 for both places.
I believe its not even a meat gravy its vegetable based which 'authentic' poutine is supposed to use. La Belle Patate is supposed to be another authentic poutine place too. Although I prefer my fries crispy vs. soggy and most authentic places look really soggy.

EDIT: I guess some places will use vegetable gravy, just depends. oops!

Last edited by Expresso; 04-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #2689
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
WTF? vegetable-based gravy? Maybe I'm looking at everything through meat-goggles, but if the gravy I had is as good as it gets -> do.not.want.

I like crispy fries too. But the ones I had weren't crispy. They were crunchy. And fries should never be crunchy.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #2690
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
authentic poutin is turkey gravey.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #2691

Dinner @ Empire in Richmond.

Peking Duck:

Duck was good, not a lot of fat but the meat was still juicy. Smokiness could be improved though. Wrapper was the thick kind..some may like it some may not. I'm indifferent.

7.5/10

King Crab steamed in Garlic/Egg White:

DELICIOUS!!! 10/10 Although someone complained it was too garlicy, I didn't have a problem with it as the sweetness of the crab was still very much pungent. This was a 13.8lb (as we were told).

The Portuguese Baked Rice in Crab Head:
Sorry for the blurry picture.

This was pretty shitty, tbh. The sauce wasn't the right consistency, light on spices, rice was too wet, which made eating it akin to eating mash potatoes. 5/10 if not worse, lulz.

This is the sauce left over from the steamed legs:

I drank it like soup, like what any other man would do. Well, that's what my Chinese friends told me.

With a second duck dish (X.O. Bell peppers and duck), fish maw(?) soup to start, a dish of veggies, and complimentary read bean soup dessert, the total was $37 a person tax and time included between 9 ppl.

Overall 7-8/10, nothing impressive save for the steamed legs.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:

Last edited by Alphamale; 04-08-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #2692
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Alpha: Is this the Empire on Alexandra or Westminster? And no deep fried knuckles for the King Crab?!
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #2693
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Alpha: Is this the Empire on Alexandra or Westminster? And no deep fried knuckles for the King Crab?!
Exactly! What happened to the knuckles!??

Oh yeah, what I normally do with the broth is get them to pack it for me and I'll use it to make congee or pasta sauce.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #2694
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
the boathouse in port moody 9/10
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post
Exactly! What happened to the knuckles!??

Oh yeah, what I normally do with the broth is get them to pack it for me and I'll use it to make congee or pasta sauce.
My friend did the ordering...so I dunnos. I was the token white guy, so I didn't really have an opinion, haha.

The knuckles were steamed as well.

I'm personally not a fan of deep fried crab/lobster for the most part...but I've never tried it with king crab. Perhaps next time...if there is one, lol.
Quote:

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #2696
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Onyx

probably one of the better Filet's ive ever had, food was fantastic but service not so much [seems to be a common opinion of this place] our server was great but she was also covering as the bartender so she definitely wasn't catering to us as much as a place like that should/could be, as well there were a few times some of us needed new drinks or refills on water and there were like 3-4 servers just standing around behind the main counter

the beef tartar there was amazing and i really liked the gnochi as well

8.5/10
Old 04-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #2697

Thaison

The pho seemed lacking in taste

6/10
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #2698
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
riddim and spice

10/10

jerk chicken never disapoints
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 PM   #2699
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Bao Chau on hastings
7/10
homemade springrolls taste better
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #2700
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

sun sui wah

9/10

delicious king crab legs
love the pidgeon
legit is offline   Reply With Quote