REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #4326
I bringith the lowerballerith

Oh yeah that whole extra cold drink surcharge at chinese style hk restaurants reminds me of the added fee's business charges. Kinda like superstore with the 5 cents a bag - their annual report showed them making some ridicolous millions the last year.

For a place that sell's like 200 cold drinks a day @ $1 extra surcharge x $365 days a year - that's enough to staff 2 full time waitress/waiters lol
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #4327
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
Curry House (not sure the name but it's the stall that sells curry and street car noodles) at Parker Place

Order my lunch witch consisted of Curry Beef Brisket and Tendon on Rice and free soup for $6.50 tax in.

Curry was good! Good portion with a perfect ratio of beef and tendon. This place uses the tendon cut (with meet stuck on it) so it's not as fatty as the finger meat. 9/10
Free soup (Carrot + Daikon): tasted like how mom makes it at home 9/10

Curry is acquired taste as it's the generic curry tumeric powder flavour - not the thai or malaysian kind. What I like about it is these guys put effort into the dish cause the beef and tendon was very tender. Some places don't spend enough time to stew it and it ends up tasting like rubber.

I took a look into the kitchen and I'm said to say this stall may not be there for very much longer - all the staff are in their 50-60's another 5-10 year's it's retirement and sellout of the stall and the taste and recipe may not be the same.
its called Curry Kitchen. You didnt notice this but they already changed owners. The ah Por who works there now was the owner before and just helps out there now from time to time. The kitchen ppl are not the same as the ones from 1 year ago. They prob sold the recipe to the new owners hence the same taste as before.
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #4328
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post
Oh yeah that whole extra cold drink surcharge at chinese style hk restaurants reminds me of the added fee's business charges. Kinda like superstore with the 5 cents a bag - their annual report showed them making some ridicolous millions the last year.

For a place that sell's like 200 cold drinks a day @ $1 extra surcharge x 365 days a year - that's enough to buy a C63/M3/Supercar imaginable for their son/daughter that just received their N
Fixed
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #4329
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
If money isn't a factor....which one tasted better in your opinion? Cold or hot?
I had the hot milk tea before but I don't recall my experience. I prefer their iced milk tea by default though because the taste is memorable and clearly stands out. But because they nickel and dime you for just about everything and the rise in costs (whether justified or not) I won't be returning anytime soon, that's for sure.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #4330
RS controls my life!

Lee's Chicken in PoCo.
Had the 2 piece dinner meal which included potato wedges and slaw. Chicken was a little dry, but way less oily and salty than KFC. Potato wedges seemed like they were boiled, then baked/fried. Could go for more wedges right now
Then the lady boss hooked us up with gravy, and more chicken for the road

As of now for me, Churches > Lee's > KFC
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #4331
PRINCESS

Hime sushi on west 10th

My girl friend and I were craving for sushi but I had class at 2 do we decided to go somewhere near UBC
Urban spoon gave me Hime sushi with 88% rating. Thought it might be worth a try.
One of the reviews said (or I read somewhere) that it's an authentic Japanese restaurant with Japanese owner
.....uh NOT. As soon as I walked in waitresses greeted me in Japanese. Then they started speaking Korean....
Then I thought "f*** this is gonna be bad"
And I was right. I usually don't order teriyaki stuff at Japanese restaurant but I was craving for it so I ordered Lunch box B. Gyoza tasted very poor, sashimi part of nigiri was chopped horrendously, Cali roll was meh, and teriyaki was way too sweet.
My friend ordered chirashi don. It's just sashimi an rice... How can they fuck it up? With their weird tasting spicy sauce. Her sashimis were poorly cut as well. She ended up leaving out half of it. Our table was so squished too. Yeah yeah small restaurant but way too close to the couple next to us.

And service...younger girl who was first serving us was okay. Then there was this older lady who gave my friend attitude cuz she said seperste bill. Wtf is the big deal? We specifically ASKED for separate bill when we asked her to bring it.
And the chef (I think he was the owner) was yelling at one of the waitresses. I am Korean myself and I could understand everything he was saying and didn't seem like the girl was doing anything wrong. Either way I felt really uncomfortable

2/10 just because the younger waitress was nice. If they fuck up simple lunch box and chirashi don, I'm pretty certain they can't be good with other stuff.
Seriously wondering who voted "like" on urban spoon. This place was one of the worst sushi joints I've ever been to.
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #4332
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
why do people go to japanese resteraunts and order the whitest thing on the menu (chicken/beef teriyaki?)
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 12:48 AM   #4333
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Urban Spoon

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #4334
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Splitz Grill
7/10
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:30 AM   #4335
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Went for korean food at Potter Garden on kingsway burnaby. Ordered the LA barbecue beef, kimchi stew, and steamed dumpling. Fucking awsome, if you happen to drop by and and order the bbq beef don't forget to ask them for the dipping sauce. Me and my GF loves the sauce. Food is good but price is little bit on the high side. But really which korean place is not expensive these day. And for those Kpop fan. They have tv in there that play those kpop performance you saw in the kpop thread.

Sherman's Food Adventures: Potter's Garden

All and all i give this place an 8/10
striderblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #4336
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee123 View Post
no. alot of hk style cafes offer free cold drink with a meal. Max is $1 for some places but Lido charges $1.40 to change from hot drink to a cold drink
thats nothing. we got charged 3 bucks a can at poking dimsum, fucking scam
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #4337

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
why do people go to japanese resteraunts and order the whitest thing on the menu (chicken/beef teriyaki?)
furthermore, how can ppl judge restaurants based on their california rolls/teriyaki/bento's
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:18 AM   #4338
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
As much as I love authentic Japanese food, and I have traveled there pretty much JUST to eat, and have eaten at some of the best restaurants... I fucken love Teriyaki chicken and california rolls

A side note, the only time I have seen teriyaki on a menu in Japan was at McDonalds
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #4339
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I will eat a chicken terriyaki don any day of the week.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2012, 11:49 AM   #4340
PRINCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Like i stated, i usually dont order teriyaki stuff but for some reason i was craving for it that day

and why wouldnt i be able to judge the restaurant by bento boxes and chirashi don? Its the simplest thing and if they fuck that up theres a huge problem. I didnt expect much from cali roll. Cali roll is just cali roll but if my nigiri comes with thin ass slice thats about to break into two pieces and very uneven cut (i thought they were trying to chop it in to fish shape or something at first because it looked so ridiculous). and i dont understand why they chopped their chirashi don stuff into tiny cubes. Im talking about Tiiiiiny cubes.

most of the times korean/chinese/viet sushi joints are just fail. No wonder i didnt see a single japanese customer
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #4341
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
thats nothing. we got charged 3 bucks a can at poking dimsum, fucking scam
Poking is prob a bigger "resturant", Lido is a hk style "cafe" of course the prices are lower for lido. I'm comparing hk cafe cold drink prices only.
blee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #4342

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post
Like i stated, i usually dont order teriyaki stuff but for some reason i was craving for it that day

and why wouldnt i be able to judge the restaurant by bento boxes and chirashi don? Its the simplest thing and if they fuck that up theres a huge problem. I didnt expect much from cali roll. Cali roll is just cali roll but if my nigiri comes with thin ass slice thats about to break into two pieces and very uneven cut (i thought they were trying to chop it in to fish shape or something at first because it looked so ridiculous). and i dont understand why they chopped their chirashi don stuff into tiny cubes. Im talking about Tiiiiiny cubes.

most of the times korean/chinese/viet sushi joints are just fail. No wonder i didnt see a single japanese customer
thats bara chirashi-don. not all chirashi is traditionally slices of fish on top of rice.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #4343
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
niagra falls for dinner

Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #4344
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
the one - overrated, 5 / 10

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #4345
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Vallarta Mexican Restaurant
8/10

Shared 2 pupusas, my girlfriend had the torta sandwich with refried beans and rice on the side. I had the recommended beef burrito (not ground beef). Pupusas were great though I wonder how they compare elsewhere. Burrito was huge (as big as my forearm) and pretty damn tasty. Place is a almost a dive but an older El Salvadorian woman does the cooking. Will try tamales and tacos next time.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #4346
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Kisamos, as per MajinHurricane's recommendation

Service: 1/10
Food: 7/10

Terrible service. Server was rude, slow, and unattentive. Never came back to check on us and forgot the beer that I ordered. Didn't refill our water either but I guess that's assumed if she never came back. Even crossed it off the hand-written bill and didn't so much as apologize for her mistake.

Food was average. Had certain expectations after reading Majin talk so highly about the place but wasn't as good as I expected. Ordered the calamari entree and I thought it was only OK. Gf had chicken souvlaki dinner and she enjoyed it. The tomatoes in the Greek salad were cut really big, lol.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #4347
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Tomahawk - 7/10
Went out to N. Van to try it after seeing it on tv. The roast beef dinner was ok nothing amazing. Felt that i had some old yorkshire pudding however ( like it has been sitting there for awhile )
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #4348
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Number 1 diner (formerly Mondos burger) in Steveston.

Went there thinking I was going to Mondo's (great place), but found out after I was seated, that they have new owners. The menu was also kind of similar.

However, I wish I could say the same about the burgers.

All three burgers were burnt and dry. The fries were old and hard. And the salad had no dressing. The waitress, atleast she tried.

Complained about two burgers, and got a new one made. This time, it was a bit juicer, and for some reason, the salad was drenched in dressing (never mentioned the lack of dressing when returning the burger prior).

The new burger was alright, but really nothing special. Maybe a 6/10.

And the place was quite dirty. When I left, my jacket had dust balls).

Don't think I will go back.

Food - 6/10
Service - 7
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #4349
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

anyone know a good place for lobster rolls?
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #4350
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Kisamos, as per MajinHurricane's recommendation

food 10/10 best fucken greek food EVERRRRRR

service 7/10

i suggest you go with 2-3 people and get the kisamo or meat platter for 2

i actually went last week but been lazy to post up my review lol

i didn't have a girl waiter so maybe thats why my experience was much different then jing.
they seriously need to update their website.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote