REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #7126
Meow

I know this is for ratings but any recommendations for somewhere to eat for under $100 for two people, on the healthier side preferably. I usually just go cactus club or something like that but feel like trying something different.
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #7127
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Maenam
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #7128
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Tried Hai Phong for the first time. Was actually looking for another rViet place I tried that I also liked, but I kinda got lost and decided to go ahead with this place.

HOLY SMOKES! My GF and I have never eaten Viet food this good before. We both had tea, I had a coke $2.50

Appetizer: we each had a bbq chicken salad roll $7.50 for both.

Main: I had the special mixed beef with rice noodle soup#1. The taste, freshness of ingredients and preparation was beyond anything I had eaten before. highly recommended! $8.95 I was going to try some of the other Chef recommended soups, but some of those ingredients kinda scared me (eh, gimme a break, I'm not Asian!).

GF: She had #31. Again, piles of fresh ingredients (far more than what we are used to from a Viet restaurant...she loves that!) flavorful spring rolls and grilled chicken $10.50.

After this huge feast we were full and satisfied! We've had Viet food in Sask, and Alberta. Neither province had anything in comparison to quality. we paid about $30 for everything but given the service and meal would have paid $40 and not thought twice about it.

We'll back again, a solid 9/10
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2016, 10:02 PM   #7129
McLyin'

Thanked 1,677 Times in 169 Posts
I stumbled on to this hole in the wall on Victoria and 36 next to the chevron there called Dang Anh Cafe. To this day I have never ever had Pho Ga (Chicken Pho) like that ever...

I have to have my weekly dose every Sunday.

To Sum it up Dang Anh Cafe 10/10
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/dang-anh-cafe-vancouver
dr.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #7130
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Had pad thai at chad thai on hastings for lunch. Solid.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #7131
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
Tried Hai Phong for the first time. Was actually looking for another rViet place I tried that I also liked, but I kinda got lost and decided to go ahead with this place.

HOLY SMOKES! My GF and I have never eaten Viet food this good before. We both had tea, I had a coke $2.50

Appetizer: we each had a bbq chicken salad roll $7.50 for both.

Main: I had the special mixed beef with rice noodle soup#1. The taste, freshness of ingredients and preparation was beyond anything I had eaten before. highly recommended! $8.95 I was going to try some of the other Chef recommended soups, but some of those ingredients kinda scared me (eh, gimme a break, I'm not Asian!).

GF: She had #31. Again, piles of fresh ingredients (far more than what we are used to from a Viet restaurant...she loves that!) flavorful spring rolls and grilled chicken $10.50.

After this huge feast we were full and satisfied! We've had Viet food in Sask, and Alberta. Neither province had anything in comparison to quality. we paid about $30 for everything but given the service and meal would have paid $40 and not thought twice about it.

We'll back again, a solid 9/10
If you say Hai Phong a certain way in chinese...

Also been here, it's good. Their fried chicken wings are damn well comparable to the ones at Phnom phen.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #7132

Went to Hai Phong per recommendations.

Chicken wings here had more of a kick to it. Phnom's penh's wings had fried garlic and more msg, while Hai Phong's had raw garlic and chilli peppers. Different garlics brought out a distinct flavour in each.

Had the crab paste soup. Good amount of crab meat and lots of viet ham and even came with a pork hock.

Too much flies in there tho

8/10

Last edited by Galactic_Phantom; 07-24-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #7133
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Cactus club english bay patio

Waiting almost 2 hrs for a patio table of 6. Manager gave us 6 free soho lychee shots for free and some extra drinks

had the tuna stack which never disappoints and the streak + frites, delciious

8/10

the kitchen table on yew street near kits beach

beef burger was bland, plain, no sauce, deep fried PB & J was something I could of made at home. Ling cod fish and chips was small but tasty. Fries / yam fries were awesome though. One and dump place imo, never go again unless I get food for free

6/10

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #7134
My homepage has been set to RS

Cuchillo for dinner

Heard lots of good things about the place and finally got around to trying it out with the GF.

Shared the trout civiche, yuca fries, and sablefish. All items were really great, especially the sablefish. Fish was expertly prepared, flavors were bright, and it paired really well with the grilled coconut corn and pana fritas. And for $24, may be one of the best and most affordable sablefish dishes in the city. Wanted to try the Dulce de Leche dessert but was too full.

Drinks were also excellent. Not sure who their mixologist is, but they have some really innovative drinks made with tequila, gin, scotch, etc. They are on the pricey side ($10 to $12) but I feel that they were worth it in the end since they were plenty boozey and took skill to make.

I've heard that the service can be hit or miss, but we received very attentive and friendly service from our server. Made recommendations on food and beverage and always filled our water. Nothing more you can ask for.

Food - 9/10
Drinks - 9/10
Service - 10/10

Overall - 9.5/10 Will be going back to try other items once my wallet recovers a bit.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #7135
HELP ME PLS!!!

Went to Brewery and the Beast yesterday. Definitely will be going back next year.

https://jaxandcs.com/2016/07/24/brewery-and-the-beast/

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:58 PM   #7136
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post

Waiting almost 2 hrs for a patio table of 6. Manager gave us 6 free soho lychee shots for free and some extra drinks

8/10

beef burger was bland, plain, no sauce, deep fried PB & J was something I could of made at home. Ling cod fish and chips was small but tasty. Fries / yam fries were awesome though. One and dump place imo, never go again unless I get food for free

6/10
hold on.. you waited 2 hours for fucking cactus club?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #7137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
You can't really compare home cooking with restaurant though. Ours is prepared with our house blend sweet sauce and wasabi diced chives wrapped with nori - ready to pop in you mouth.
When I asked about this at your Richmond location, they had no clue what I was talking about. I guess this is a downtown exclusive menu item?

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #7138
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post

8/10

6/10
haha i work at the cactus, and know which manager hooked you up
Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #7139

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
haha i work at the cactus, and know which manager hooked you up
fun fact: i worked at that cactus for a year, quit in early 2014 i know who you are

even played cs go with you once

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #7140
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
That was pretty creepy in a weird, but fucked up, it's okay, totally normal, kind of way.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-27-2016, 02:19 PM   #7141
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Isami Sushi

7/10
jumsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #7142
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Gotham last night for a friends bday, only 4 of us

Hadn't been in 5-7 years and don't see myself going back.

Started with soup of the day, wedge salad, and steak tartare, soup and wedge salad pretty standard and the tartare was probably one of the lesser ones I've had in a while, kinda bland and I never really care for the hard boiled egg on the side as opposed to a yolk.

Mains me and the wifey had a 20oz bone in rib eye and the petite filet. Steaks were the stars of the show obviously and were great but wouldn't say the best I've had

Sides we had the Gorgonzola Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and asparagus

Cheesecake and sticky toffee pudding for dessert

Had to drive so we didn't really drink, had a martini to start, beer in the middle, and a Sauterne for dessert. Wifey had 2 cocktails

Typically when i dine out like this id drink the above drinks, plus a reasonably priced bottle of wine and rarely is the bill over $300 for the two of us

last night the fucking bill was like $340 with tip..

Overall I prefer Hy's in pretty much every way, service, ambiance, menu, and food.

I'll toss er' a 7/10 cause it was good, but won't see me back there again.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #7143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
the tartare was probably one of the lesser ones I've had in a while, kinda bland and I never really care for the hard boiled egg on the side as opposed to a yolk.

I have no clue why Gothams is still a choice when Hy's is around. Tastes the same if not better,cheaper prices, entrees comes with sides, Costco 20% off gift cards, service is much better and the staff there are less pretentious than the ones at Gotham.

I guess its catered to people who feel much better about themselves to pay more money for the same thing .

Pete's meat: 8/10. Went in expecting too much. Had roast beef sandwich meat was a tad dry and portions were too small. Maybe I'll give the other sandwiches there another shot if I'm in the area.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 PM   #7144
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Gotham last night for a friends bday, only 4 of us

Hadn't been in 5-7 years and don't see myself going back.

Started with soup of the day, wedge salad, and steak tartare, soup and wedge salad pretty standard and the tartare was probably one of the lesser ones I've had in a while, kinda bland and I never really care for the hard boiled egg on the side as opposed to a yolk.

Mains me and the wifey had a 20oz bone in rib eye and the petite filet. Steaks were the stars of the show obviously and were great but wouldn't say the best I've had

Sides we had the Gorgonzola Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and asparagus

Cheesecake and sticky toffee pudding for dessert

Had to drive so we didn't really drink, had a martini to start, beer in the middle, and a Sauterne for dessert. Wifey had 2 cocktails

Typically when i dine out like this id drink the above drinks, plus a reasonably priced bottle of wine and rarely is the bill over $300 for the two of us

last night the fucking bill was like $340 with tip..

Overall I prefer Hy's in pretty much every way, service, ambiance, menu, and food.

I'll toss er' a 7/10 cause it was good, but won't see me back there again.

I went on my birthday (beginning of July). There was a pack of Mainland Chinese people with kids running around the restaurant that almost made one of the waiters spill his shit. He was not pleased. I was thinking "When the hell did this turn into golden swan?!?!" Despite this, the staff were very friendly.

There was another guy who was walking his toddler up and down the aisle. While I understand it's great that your kid is learning to walk, please remember that this is a restaurant where people need to get plates of hot food to their customers. I was just thinking when the hell did this steakhouse turn into a damn playground for everyone.

Well, anyways, I had the bone in rib eye with enough for lunch the next day. Creamed spinach, Oyster Fontina, cauliflower gratin and cheese toast were shared. Sides were rich and very heavy on the dairy. It was good, but it wears down a lot when it's so laden with cream and cheese; it gets kind of gross towards the end.

The steak was merely good. Ordered medium rare and the steak came out medium-well. I didn't complain, I just told them that it was medium well and cooked a little more thoroughly than I liked. Asked me if I wanted it taken back I said I'm fine with it, I hate wasting good meat. They made up for it a slice of chocolate cake and a happy birthday written in chocolate sauce.

I give it the same 7/10. The setting was nice, but the ambiance is no better than the keg now given how rowdy it can be. One huge family ruined the experience for everyone that dined that night.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #7145
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post

I have no clue why Gothams is still a choice when Hy's is around. Tastes the same if not better,cheaper prices, entrees comes with sides, Costco 20% off gift cards, service is much better and the staff there are less pretentious than the ones at Gotham.
I agree, I won't be returning to Gotham after my last experience. Maybe if Bruce Wayne showed up, I'll go back. Prices are definitely not worth it.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #7146
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Went to Hy's a few months back.

Just to touch on the ambiance what do you guys think of Hy's? I liked it but the GF said it felt like it was like an old mans club.

I get the feel they are going for but not sure she did
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 PM   #7147
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
I went on my birthday (beginning of July). There was a pack of Mainland Chinese people with kids running around the restaurant that almost made one of the waiters spill his shit. He was not pleased. I was thinking "When the hell did this turn into golden swan?!?!" Despite this, the staff were very friendly.

There was another guy who was walking his toddler up and down the aisle. While I understand it's great that your kid is learning to walk, please remember that this is a restaurant where people need to get plates of hot food to their customers. I was just thinking when the hell did this steakhouse turn into a damn playground for everyone.
The world use to be a better place when we had apartheid laws.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #7148

Hard boiled egg..wtf. Who's the genius who thought that up? Honestly with high end restaurants it should be kid free. I don't hate kids or anything but I sure as hell didn't go out and pay $100+/person to hear kids screaming/crying away or see them run around like its jungle gym. As for Hys I personally love the ambience but girls may not like it cause it doesn't look contemporary or sexy enough
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #7149
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
The world use to be a better place when we had apartheid laws.
I don't joke about that kinda stuff (studied about it in university and some of the key issues I read about made me sick to my stomach, dehumanization is CiC territory) but whatever floats your boat. Will not start that discussion here.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #7150
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Hard boiled egg..wtf. Who's the genius who thought that up? Honestly with high end restaurants it should be kid free. I don't hate kids or anything but I sure as hell didn't go out and pay $100+/person to hear kids screaming/crying away or see them run around like its jungle gym. As for Hys I personally love the ambience but girls may not like it cause it doesn't look contemporary or sexy enough
Start having a minimum charge per head and then it'll change the tune. $100 a night to feed your kid one meal? Better think hard.
This post thanked by: