REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   What is the avg wedding gift? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/531941-what-avg-wedding-gift.html)

PreludeSweetie 05-21-2008 06:24 PM

What is the avg wedding gift?

Does anyone know what the general guideline is for a monetary gift? I know that it depends on how close youare to the bride and groom etc but I just want to know what the avg is now a days.

misteranswer 05-21-2008 06:30 PM

I thought it was 100, but I had cheap friends only give like $50

PreludeSweetie 05-21-2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misteranswer (Post 5864418)
I thought it was 100, but I had cheap friends only give like $50

This is per person or per couple? I'm assuming it is p/p.

The best is to get married in Japan. I went to a wedding there in Dec. and their avg is about $400 per couple.

bcrdukes 05-21-2008 06:54 PM

Usually when I'm invited to a wedding, I usually give money and it's $100 per head. Cool avatar by the way. :p

Domani 05-21-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PreludeSweetie (Post 5864438)
This is per person or per couple? I'm assuming it is p/p.

The best is to get married in Japan. I went to a wedding there in Dec. and their avg is about $400 per couple.

but the wedding cost is pretty crazy there as well lol

Culture_Vulture 05-21-2008 07:43 PM

my parents usually give $100 to both the bride and groom ($200 total)

nabs 05-21-2008 07:54 PM

if you're close 100 bucks. if not 50. i've given 40 before as well.

asian_XL 05-21-2008 08:19 PM

General Rule:

75 for people you don't know at all
100 for people you barely know
150-200 for your relatives
200+ for your close friends.

I don't get it why people get pissed when you don't pay enough for the banquet.
especially chinese...Last time my family went to my mom's cousin's daughter's banquet,
we paid $300 for 4 people + two wedding gifts and people at the receiption gave us that
attitude that we are cheap or something. Food was shitty, and it was boring as well.
Should have spent the $300 on a fancy dinner elsewhere.

quasi 05-21-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 5864656)
General Rule:

I usually go by something pretty close to this. If someone actually gets offended by what they get then their an idiot give what you can afford and if you can't afford much then just put some thought into it and get something cheap but meaningful.

aznrsx1979 05-21-2008 09:01 PM

Actually I just picked up a wedding gift for my cousin today. It was an item on the registry they had at The Bay. Was about $100 which I didn't think was too bad.

TRD3000GT 05-21-2008 09:05 PM

$50 for somewhat called friends
$100 for real friends seen regularly
$0 for relatives because my parents are going to do it. :p
I only give money to groom or bride because the reception people can't be trust. :o I heard more than once the money gone missing after the reception people took it.

Come on man, this is not being cheap! I am sure the groom and bride pay around the same amounts when they attend other people's wedding.

Lomac 05-21-2008 09:31 PM

There's a guideline? People give money?

I've always just purchased gifts either off the registry or what I knew they'd want (and were too unwilling to request from others lol).

asian_XL 05-21-2008 10:09 PM

^ I believe they are talking about asian wedding or banquet.

bcrdukes 05-21-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Last time my family went to my mom's cousin's daughter's banquet,
we paid $300 for 4 people + two wedding gifts and people at the receiption gave us that
attitude that we are cheap or something. Food was shitty, and it was boring as well.
Should have spent the $300 on a fancy dinner elsewhere.

Wow, that's pretty low of them because $300 for 4 people and two wedding gifts is already being quite generous, man. :eek:

Lomac 05-21-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 5864898)
^ I believe they are talking about asian wedding or banquet.

Don't worry. Unless otherwise stated, I just assume that everything on RS refers to something Asian. :p

Just a little interesting always learning something new about another culture. Especially for this Langley redneck hick. ;)

TRDood 05-22-2008 12:09 AM

does other cultures have this "giving $$" for weddings/funerals/birthdays and such?

my cousin(chinese girl) is getting married to a white guy
she keep on getting a lot of cash.. i wonder if the other side gets $$$ as well or just gifts.

usually, who pays for a wedding? 50/50? 60/40? etc?
i know for the asian family, i would assume the guy pays for most of the things..

asian_XL 05-22-2008 01:26 AM

I believe indian, japanese, korean weddings are the same?

If I remember it correctly, like in the ancient time, invitees bring gifts to the bride, and
money for the banquet, so the groom doesn't have to pay for everything. It's fair if the
host serves fancy food, red wine, and stuff at the banquet. $100-150 is not a problem.
IMO, the "wedding money" shouldn't be more than the cost of the food.

Trinity 05-22-2008 06:20 AM

The general rule of thumb is to get something that's about the same cost as the cost per plate at the reception. But yeah, best is just to give money.

quasi 05-22-2008 06:29 AM

I'm white and at my wedding it was a mix of about half cash and half gifts off the registry. I know we preferred cash because we could use it for what we wanted. Since I preferred cash I always give cash.

hamsup 05-22-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRD3000GT (Post 5864738)
$50 for somewhat called friends
$100 for real friends seen regularly
$0 for relatives because my parents are going to do it. :p
I only give money to groom or bride because the reception people can't be trust. :o I heard more than once the money gone missing after the reception people took it.

Come on man, this is not being cheap! I am sure the groom and bride pay around the same amounts when they attend other people's wedding.

i totally agree with you but for real friends... i usually up to 120 instead of 100.. but the rest is pretty close...

mostly when its family.. my parents pay for the entire family =D hahaha.. but not ALWAYS ! hahaha

the_rickster 05-22-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

General Rule:

that seems pretty reasonable.

i usually give gifts though, unless it's family or close friends and i know that they want money.

stotch 05-22-2008 03:44 PM

holy everyones been to a lot of weddings haha

I went to one wedding in my life, im 21 and I think my parents gave them like 500$ because my cousin who was getting married was pregnant with twins so they hella needed money.

I would probably not go to any wedding of anyone who I barely know, don't like, etc, just because weddings suck ass and I hate them. I would probably give anyone close enough to me for me to actually attend thier wedding, between 2-500 just because there close.

nipples 05-22-2008 09:01 PM

yeah what's been said is good. but it also depends. i mean, if what's given just covers the cost of the banquet, then the bride n groom will most likely go home empty handed.

i know that when my cousin got married (to a white guy) my mom gave her a diamond bracelet of hers cause my cousin didnt have much jewelery to begin with and gave a grand to them to help start things off. although it's different because my parents practically raised her and her sisters when they were young and my mom always said when she got married it's like her own daughter was walking the aisle.

what's the general price for gifts added to a registry?
like if i get married can i put on the registry:
- house - 5bdrm, 4.5 bath, ~4000sq.ft
- volvo S60 2.5TR AWD
- immortality potion

and have the people choose from just the three? (2) lol

asian_XL 05-22-2008 10:25 PM

^ no, you can't...another reason why asian people don't buy gifts is they don't want to
think and buy something useless or repetitive.

my cousin got tons of crap when they got married 5 years ago. He complained people
bought them 8 sets of kitchen sets.

quasi 05-23-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stotch (Post 5866082)
holy everyones been to a lot of weddings haha

I went to one wedding in my life, im 21 and I think my parents gave them like 500$ because my cousin who was getting married was pregnant with twins so they hella needed money.

I would probably not go to any wedding of anyone who I barely know, don't like, etc, just because weddings suck ass and I hate them. I would probably give anyone close enough to me for me to actually attend thier wedding, between 2-500 just because there close.

Your 21 now but as you hit your mid 20's you'll see all your friends and friends of your girlfriends getting married and you'll be going to a lot. I have attended at least 3-4 weddings a year for the past 5 years and I probably went to 4 from the time I was born-25.