REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-04-2008, 03:03 PM   #26
ccc
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

To the OP: Have you considered Red Star Restaurant as well? They opened a new branch at the President Plaza / Radisson Hotel. From what I can recall, the restaurant is not too big and will be perfect for 10-15 tables. The food should be good too (based on my dim sum and dinner experience there).
Advertisement
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
I can't believe the last 2 posters are the only ones to congratulate the OP. Haha.... Congrats, man!

I've only been to one Chinese wedding and it was held at the Richmond Kirin. It was really good....but it was a $600/table reception.
That's actually quite inexpensive for a chinese wedding, assuming that there's 10 heads per table, that's only $60/head.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
To the OP: Have you considered Red Star Restaurant as well? They opened a new branch at the President Plaza / Radisson Hotel. From what I can recall, the restaurant is not too big and will be perfect for 10-15 tables. The food should be good too (based on my dim sum and dinner experience there).
I hope you went to the Richmond Red Star recently, because about two months ago, I went there and we had a poor experience.

The waiters repeatedly reached across me to clear other people's plates. Or they signaled only with their hand (kinda rude) to get plates they couldn't reach. I remember the "captain" taking our order, and others would just walk up and talk to him at the same time!

We ordered lobster in the cream sauce with the "wonton" noodles. The waiter brought it out and realized that the cook put thick noodles instead. He held it at the table and asked "well, do you still want it?" and the only thing it seemed like he wanted to do was put it down and take off. The proper thing to do is come out, without the messed-up dish, and ask if we're ok with it!

Anyhow, they brought it back in, and changed it to the proper noodles. Too bad all the cream sauce was gone too! How can you serve a "lobster in cream sauce", without the cream sauce? So the noodles were just bland.

My wife had a baby recently so it was our first real Chinese dinner in weeks, and yet we left dissatisfied.

On the other hand, the Red Star on Granville St. is pretty good (but the shape of the restaurant could be better).
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Yes we looked at Red-Star. I believe we ruled it out becuase of the minimum price requirement.

My sister acutally had her wedding there when it first opened WAY back in 1995.

We have decided on Gingeri at Landsdowne.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
woah. you guys have receptions in restaurants???? learn sumthin new everyday. lol
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #31
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahai69 View Post
woah. you guys have receptions in restaurants???? learn sumthin new everyday. lol
are you chinese??

chinese wedding banquets USUALLY make a profit for the couple unless a big portion of their guests are caucasians or from out of town and the couple has to cover hotel/transport etc
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #32
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by que2k View Post
Yes we looked at Red-Star. I believe we ruled it out becuase of the minimum price requirement.

My sister acutally had her wedding there when it first opened WAY back in 1995.

We have decided on Gingeri at Landsdowne.

Thanks for all the input guys.
my sister decided on gingeri for here wedding reception as well. congrats
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #33
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
are you chinese??

chinese wedding banquets USUALLY make a profit for the couple unless a big portion of their guests are caucasians or from out of town and the couple has to cover hotel/transport etc
A Chinese couple would pay for hotel/transportation for out of town guests? Wow, you learn something new everyday.

Off topic but a serious question, who normally pays for the Chinese Weddings? Is it the family or the bride and groom? I'm Caucasian and I know for my wedding my parents paid for the booze and my wifes mom paid for the flowers and decorations. My wife and myself paid for everything else, reception, photographer, dresses, tux rentals, hair/makeup, church, transportation and some stuff I'm probably forgetting which was the Lions share of it. Most of my white married friends were the same, paid for most of it themselves. I only ask cause I'm curious about the cultural difference or customs when it comes to paying for weddings. Any EI's want to chime in I'm curious how that works as well, I know East Indians have huge weddings which must be $$$$$$

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 07-09-2008 at 01:31 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
^ my buddy is gonna get married in a couple months and usually the girls side pays for the gurdwara and the guys side pays for the reception. i think the guys side also pays for the engagement. the reception is at riverside grand ballroom and he told me the price is gonna be around $70,000. just for the reception. the food is about $50 a plate with 700 guests. kinda crazy. lol
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #35
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
Another popular spot for weddings is the Victorian Restaurant in downtown. Not sure if I got the name correct. It's that chinese restaurant at the bottom of the Hyatt on Burrard.
I think it's called Victoria Chinese Seafood Restaurant. It's located in Royal Centre which is right beside The Hyatt Regency by the Burrard Skytrain Station.

I went there about 3 years ago for a cousin's wedding and the food and service was excellent. It was a Chinese + Filipino wedding and damn...those Filipinos sure know how to party

Dimsum is pretty good but the place gets packed because of all the offices surrounding the place.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #36
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Continental. have to plug it because its my friends business.

But they seem to have alot of weddings.

5 road and cambie.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #37
JLC

The Flamingo on Cambie would be a good place for around 150 people...
and they definitely arnt as expensive as Sun Sui Wah or Kirin...but awesome food!
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #38
RS Lurker, I don't post!

floata chinese restaurant

I did my wedding reception at Floata Chinese restaurant in Vancouver, it was turn out terrible, a lot of problems happen after I signed a contract with them.
-I reserved 22 tables they give us a very small room, too narrow to walking around.
-I have to stop at 11:00pm they charged $350 each hour after 11:00pm (not mention this when I sign a contract).
-Food is not good.
-Server very mint.
-It very hard to discus with them after you signed a contract
starone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #39
I came, I saw, I conquered.

What do you mean by servers are very mint?
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 AM   #40

http://granddynasty.ca/
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #41
Banned By Establishment

went to a reception at Continental seafood restaurant on Cambie & #5 rd and it was decent. Parking sucked though.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote