REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Off-Topic

Island Off-Topic "Must you always talk about cars?" Not in here.
For other things in life..

Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #101
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Excellent. I have been up to my armpits in home renos for about a year now, with the end still fairly far off. Looks like I'll be getting back some return on my investment though which is nice.
Advertisement
'96 Ranger
ChrisStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #102
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

of course VREB is going to say everything is fine, their livelyhood depends on it. the only reason that the market didnt tank was the Bank of Canada dropped rates to the lowest ever... the next year should be interesting, rising canadian dollar, tanking us dollar, rising interest rates, rising unemployment....
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #103
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
of course VREB is going to say everything is fine, their livelyhood depends on it. the only reason that the market didnt tank was the Bank of Canada dropped rates to the lowest ever... the next year should be interesting, rising canadian dollar, tanking us dollar, rising interest rates, rising unemployment....

Do you want the economy to tank? Just wondering
Old 10-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #104
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Rising unemployment, say what?

Stats Can disagrees with you:
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2009/1...r.html?ref=rss
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthgear View Post
Do you want the economy to tank? Just wondering
In terms of housing, yes. House prices are completely out of whack with wages, and it's not sustainable. If prices continue at this rate, 25 years from now a $500k house is going to be $10,000,000. Is that sustainable?

Realistically, it won't tank, but values could likely go down 10-20% and then probably remain flat for a number of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostampflee View Post
Rising unemployment, say what?

Stats Can disagrees with you:
http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2009/1...r.html?ref=rss
One month does not a trend make. Thats also national. Also keep in mind that those stats don't include people who have given up and aren't looking for work, have dropped to part-time, etc. A few things I have read say it's closer to 17% in North America. Plus with the US dollar dropping, Canadian manufacturing could take a hit in the next few months.

Also, we are different here: http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...671/story.html Sad to see that we are nearly double the unemployment number from this time last year.

I'm of the opinion that things will get worse before they get better, but it is up to an individual to decide for themselves when/if to buy. I just don't want my friends buying into something they can barely afford, only to find 5 years from now when their fixed rate 4% mortgage jumps to 6%, that they can no longer afford the payments, and their 35 year mortgage means they haven't built up any equity.

Again, it's up to the individual to weigh both sides of the argument and decide for themselves. For many, it is worth the risk, for me, it's not.

Last edited by Enraged; 10-09-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #106
Island Mod

I understand where your coming from but if your friend can't afford the payments at 6% compared to 4% then he should have never bought in the first place. He was already living beyond his means. No amount of doom and gloom can stop that type of idiocy. (sp?)
Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 PM   #107
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
In terms of housing, yes. House prices are completely out of whack with wages, and it's not sustainable. If prices continue at this rate, 25 years from now a $500k house is going to be $10,000,000. Is that sustainable?

Realistically, it won't tank, but values could likely go down 10-20% and then probably remain flat for a number of years.
Nobody said the market wouldn't slow down and I'd say a $500k house is more than affordable for a couple with established careers. Condo's are still more than affordable for the younger bunch... not everyone gets to have a 2500sqft house with a pool for their first home.

Quote:

One month does not a trend make. Thats also national. Also keep in mind that those stats don't include people who have given up and aren't looking for work, have dropped to part-time, etc. A few things I have read say it's closer to 17% in North America. Plus with the US dollar dropping, Canadian manufacturing could take a hit in the next few months.

Also, we are different here: http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...671/story.html Sad to see that we are nearly double the unemployment number from this time last year.

I'm of the opinion that things will get worse before they get better, but it is up to an individual to decide for themselves when/if to buy. I just don't want my friends buying into something they can barely afford, only to find 5 years from now when their fixed rate 4% mortgage jumps to 6%, that they can no longer afford the payments, and their 35 year mortgage means they haven't built up any equity.

Again, it's up to the individual to weigh both sides of the argument and decide for themselves. For many, it is worth the risk, for me, it's not.
Trends start somewhere and if you actually read the article, the gain was due to new full time employment, not part time as you suggest. Last year you couldn't throw a rock without finding a job. When McDonalds was offering $12/hr and benefits to flip a burger, there was obviously a shortage of workers. That's obviously corrected itself, and 6% unemployment isn't that far from the norm. Besides, don't a lot of the tourism based industries do substantial _seasonal_ layoffs right about now?

I travel a lot, and the slight correction we've seen here is nothing compared to other areas. I don't notice many vacant buildings here but everywhere else I go, there's lots of 'em.
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #108
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Manufacturing has taken a shit already. Vic Ship just laid off 200+ workers in the past few weeks. From what I hear in the welding circles, a lot of the bigger fab shops are running on low staffing levels. I popped in at the boilermakers' hall last week, and the lady there told me things are as slow as she's seen them in 10 years. Not to say we aren't going to see improvement this coming year, but things are still tight for a lot of people.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcivic View Post
I understand where your coming from but if your friend can't afford the payments at 6% compared to 4% then he should have never bought in the first place. He was already living beyond his means. No amount of doom and gloom can stop that type of idiocy. (sp?)
I completely agree. Now you have to wonder how many people are in the same situation? Or worse yet, borrowed money for the 5% down...
Old 10-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #110

Quote:
Nobody said the market wouldn't slow down and I'd say a $500k house is more than affordable for a couple with established careers. Condo's are still more than affordable for the younger bunch... not everyone gets to have a 2500sqft house with a pool for their first home.
I agree, but when the median house price is 7x median family income, something has to give.

Quote:
Trends start somewhere and if you actually read the article, the gain was due to new full time employment, not part time as you suggest. Last year you couldn't throw a rock without finding a job. When McDonalds was offering $12/hr and benefits to flip a burger, there was obviously a shortage of workers. That's obviously corrected itself, and 6% unemployment isn't that far from the norm. Besides, don't a lot of the tourism based industries do substantial _seasonal_ layoffs right about now?
True, trends have to start somewhere. My comment regarding part time and such was that the stats in that article (all in general, all unemployment numbers) don't usually include part time jobs, etc, so the "true" unemployment number can often be higher than the reported number.

If you look over the TC article I posted, not all the jobs lost were in seasonal employment, there were other areas like tech jobs as well.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black SC2 View Post
Manufacturing has taken a shit already. Vic Ship just laid off 200+ workers in the past few weeks. From what I hear in the welding circles, a lot of the bigger fab shops are running on low staffing levels. I popped in at the boilermakers' hall last week, and the lady there told me things are as slow as she's seen them in 10 years. Not to say we aren't going to see improvement this coming year, but things are still tight for a lot of people.
Vic ship just lost a fairly large govt contract, but I was under the impression they were still busy. That sucks.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #112

10% YOY drop on new house prices in Victoria according to Statscan: http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...1013a1-eng.htm