REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
n00bie p0ztwh0re

new to town, in need of a mechanic

just moved to victoria in need of a mechanic for my 97 civic. just need a mechanic for a basic check up.
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

$$$$$$$$ is good, map to their location is on their website: www.$$$$$$$$.ca
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enraged View Post
$$$$$$$$ is good, map to their location is on their website: www.$$$$$$$$.ca
+1

Chris is an honest guy and will tell you like it is. Bring him RedBull, it'll pay off later
Old 08-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
B&S Sexy mod

+2
comic relief comes at no extra charge too
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
n00bie p0ztwh0re

excellent will stop by and see him tomorrow!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

can someone pm me that info plz. its blocked lol. thnx
SLAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

they closed up shop

88 CRX - Turbo AWD
03 G35- HKS GT Supercharged - Toy
03 Cummins 2500 - Tow Rig/ Money maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashMan View Post
think befro you type
Super Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

isnt he in the process of moving back to the keating area?
GregM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

He will be settled back into keating in March. However his clientele and subject market has change and he is no longer interested in catering to the tuner market
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

What's his new clientele/market?
1965 Chevrolet Nova SS - BBC powered gasser in the making.
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible - My silver on red baby.
ostampflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

stuff that he enjoys working on. old school stuff i believe. hopefully he will come back here and post up and let us all know.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD

Quote:
think befro you type
Old 12-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

if anyone has intrest in opening a shop, they should just cater to anyone with a wallet. So many places could have taken my money, but unfortunatly nobody seems to ever be able to get me what I need, so I have to online order everything. Shame really.
slammedcivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #13

^ same deal. it's hard to buy locally.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedcivicsi View Post
if anyone has intrest in opening a shop, they should just cater to anyone with a wallet. So many places could have taken my money, but unfortunatly nobody seems to ever be able to get me what I need, so I have to online order everything. Shame really.
There are several shops on the Island. You just have to look.

Buying online is cheaper than locally because a lot of those shops are internet shops, they have little to no overhead and go to manufacturers and do the buy in of 10+ grand and get super cheap deals on the parts. They then mark up only 5% lower than what many tuner shops can get it for because tuner shops don't have the cash to drop 10k on parts that will sit around for a long time til a customer buys it. Tuner shops are built off labour, not parts.

This in turn gets the consumer to find the cheapest parts possible anywhere on the internet just to save a few bucks. Don't get me wrong, I did this years ago too. I went to Garage 5 a lot and they made nothing off me cause they met the internets prices, and that was 4k in PARTS no labour. Why do you think Chinese parts are so huge with the import crowd? They are cheap and they're fuckin CHEAP. They are of lesser quality, but most ppl don't care and don't race their cars anyways so they think it doesn't matter.

Its a vicious cycle, cause most ppl who buy parts don't install them other than the occasional cheap intake and shit like that. Its a crappy market to get into because shop owners have rent to pay, utilities, staff, materials, tools etc. You say theres no good shops, you mean to get parts from for super cheap? Most shops can't touch those prices dood. Catering to anyone with a wallet? Even though i agree with that mentality of not turning away business especially when starting out, ppl are in business to MAKE money, not LOSE money JUST to get a customer to buy like A part, and who knows if they will ever see them again.

When a backyard "mechanic/tuner" and you start your own business, it will completely change your perception of what it takes to make a business work.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #15

I never said anything about price. I and my friends have probably spent more on our custom designed billet wheels than most have spend buying their cars.

Never the less, I cant seem to get the parts I require locally. I dont buy based on price, or chinese parts, 95% of the parts I require are custom designed or built, and the ones I do purchase from a catalogue, nobody seems to be able to order. They all state that I should just order it off ebay.....If they only knew.

And for being a backyarder, "Mechanic/tuner", I do have my own shop, and do excellent business. So dont talk to me about perception of profits on how to make a business work.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #16

If you are your own shop, why don't you order those parts yourself?
Do you have an example of one of these custom parts you can't get made locally?
Or aftermarket parts you can't obtain yourself being a business?

Theres also many machine shops for you custom needs.
My comments weren't made in a negative tone, why are you being so hostile?

I made no mention of your work, I don't know anything about you, or that you have your own business, Im NEVER on this site and don't make it my business to know what everyone does for work. I was making a comment on your comment and since your statement was vague, would could only assume you were talking about aftermarket parts.

Are you also refering to strictly Victoria? Cause there are performance shops North of the Malahat. As well as Machine shops up here as well. I live on the Island as well and don't have a problem finding or making my own parts.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #17

my shop is not in the parts ordering industry, .Ii am labour based, thats it, and I am ordering my own parts. But you again are missing the point. I visit shops to have them order my parts. I would much rather make a call to someone that has the time and expertise to search out what I need, thats why shops cost more, because they do the leg work. I have no problem paying to support local business, because when the wrong part shows up, or there are shipping charges that get expensive, its not me that has to deal with a supplier 5000 kms away.

I do visit machine shops locally to make me parts I need. But when I start asking people to weld to cast steel, or to create a 1 off spindle or knuckle for a vehicle that runs uniballs rather than ball joints, people think I dont understand what I am talking about. Or when I inform them that I need to price out a 20 series tire for a 24" rim, they tell me that they are way to expensive and I should get a 30 series, or that they might be unsafe for potholes, and have terrible rain weather performance.

Im not building import cars like most everyone else, so when I say I have tried locally to find parts, trust me, Ive searched. Not to say that there arent others that can find these parts, but If I have to order parts over the phone from someone I dont know, and have it delivered from Nanaimo, I had might as well order it from the USA, because a 2 hour drive north is not local any more as far as I am concerned for a $20 part.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedcivicsi View Post
my shop is not in the parts ordering industry, .I am labour based, thats it, and I am ordering my own parts. But you again are missing the point. I visit shops to have them order my parts. I would much rather make a call to someone that has the time and expertise to search out what I need, thats why shops cost more, because they do the leg work. I have no problem paying to support local business, because when the wrong part shows up, or there are shipping charges that get expensive, its not me that has to deal with a supplier 5000 kms away.
You seemed to have missed what I said earlier. I said there is no money in parts, only labour. I do agree with the lack of support from some mainstream shops that try to offer advice to you and they refuse to acknowledge you know anything. Regardless of that, you obviously haven't called all over the island, you've kept it to Victoria only, and theres no one there that deals in specialty parts. Evolution up Island and even Reo's business can source what you need. Regardless of what your opinion of either company, they can both get what you need.

Quote:
I do visit machine shops locally to make me parts I need. But when I start asking people to weld to cast steel, or to create a 1 off spindle or knuckle for a vehicle that runs uniballs rather than ball joints, people think I dont understand what I am talking about. Or when I inform them that I need to price out a 20 series tire for a 24" rim, they tell me that they are way to expensive and I should get a 30 series, or that they might be unsafe for potholes, and have terrible rain weather performance.
I thought you weren't in the parts business? Even if you are getting quotes, you have to hold the persons hand and get a QUOTE for both 20 and 30 series tires and let the CUSTOMER decide what he/she wants in the end, its THEIR money. Sidewall height has nothing to do with rain disipation and pot holes, they only become an issue if you stretch your tires, not the sidewall height yet again.

By uniballs you mean Heim Joints I assume... Heim Joints are what the entire industry calls them, maybe this is part of the problem?

Quote:
Im not building import cars like most everyone else, so when I say I have tried locally to find parts, trust me, Ive searched. Not to say that there arent others that can find these parts, but If I have to order parts over the phone from someone I dont know, and have it delivered from Nanaimo, I had might as well order it from the USA, because a 2 hour drive north is not local any more as far as I am concerned for a $20 part.
You know the person on Ebay that your buying from? What you said makes NO sense. If your getting a part DELIVERED from Nanaimo, why would you drive 2hrs North (which btw isn't 2hours)? You just said you'd pay MORE to buy locally for them to have to do the leg work.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_koala View Post
You seemed to have missed what I said earlier. I said there is no money in parts, only labour. I do agree with the lack of support from some mainstream shops that try to offer advice to you and they refuse to acknowledge you know anything. Regardless of that, you obviously haven't called all over the island, you've kept it to Victoria only, and theres no one there that deals in specialty parts. Evolution up Island and even Reo's business can source what you need. Regardless of what your opinion of either company, they can both get what you need.

I thought you weren't in the parts business? Even if you are getting quotes, you have to hold the persons hand and get a QUOTE for both 20 and 30 series tires and let the CUSTOMER decide what he/she wants in the end, its THEIR money. Sidewall height has nothing to do with rain disipation and pot holes, they only become an issue if you stretch your tires, not the sidewall height yet again.

By uniballs you mean Heim Joints I assume... Heim Joints are what the entire industry calls them, maybe this is part of the problem?

You know the person on Ebay that your buying from? What you said makes NO sense. If your getting a part DELIVERED from Nanaimo, why would you drive 2hrs North (which btw isn't 2hours)? You just said you'd pay MORE to buy locally for them to have to do the leg work.

Ok to start this off, I dont know of the shops you spoke about, who is Reo. I live in Victoria, and dont know either of those shops being in my city. Im still referring to local, "up island" is not local to me.

Secondly, you misunderstood me, I am not in the parts business, when I said I was looking for tires, although that was just simply an example, I was refering to the fact, that I wanted them, and was trying to get some locally, and no local tire shop would order them for me, or telling me I have to wait a minimum of 8 weeks shipping time. When I actually went and picked some up in Washington the following day. I am not pricing them out for customers, thats not what I do. I dont run a mechanical shop, or parts shops, I paint, so thats what I do, but when a customer does say that they want something custom done, It can become my job to help them find what works for their application.

Now as for parts companies making no money, that is inaccuarte, otherwise Roy Lord and Ed Coates would not be in the position they are today. As far as I know they sold parts at the largest parts store chain in this province.

And when I reffered to uniballs, I meant uniballs not heim joints. Do a search, and learn before you speak. Polyperformance has a great selection of them.

Now as for parts ordering from nanaimo, again that is not local. Thats distance driving, and yes it is 2 hours to get to the nanaimo city centre from my place, unless you know of some magical route from my house that I have yet to encounter. Never the less, I was simply meaning that If I had to order it from nanaimo, and wait for it to be ordered from somewhere else, just to truck past where I live, just for me to catch another courier down here makes no sense to me. I can just do the same, and order it from their supplier. Or meaning driving up there, if I was in a hurry for something, and couldnt wait over night for delivery, not both. Sometimes its nice to see the item you want to buy, incase it is not 100% accurate to what you want, afterall custom doesnt come in a box, half the time you have to machine, or fabricate existing components to fit your application.

I point was simple, and you've taken it too out of proportion. I simply said that If I were to go into a shop, not phone them, but locally visit a place within a reasonable driving distance, I would hope that any part I wanted they could get for me.

I understand differnt business deal in differnt markets, and products, and some are not suppliers of every make and brand. But with that being said, I still have a hard time getting parts I want. I didnt say I couldnt get anything, I just said that when I want to order a custom set of 1 off billet wheels, I cant do it locally.

Last edited by slammedcivicsi; 01-21-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Dip Dip Dip Dip Mod

another clown that thinks hes got it all figured out. Dont waste your breath Brad.

88 CRX - Turbo AWD

Quote:
think befro you type
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #21

why are you calling me names? I haven't called the poster anything. Im merely asking questions to his peculiar answers. I thought a forum was about discussion, not name calling. Wow, a MOD calling me names because Im having a discussion with Slammedcivic. How mature.

A car guy who doesn't like to drive, thats kind of an oxi moron isn't it?

Neither of those shops are in Victoria... like I said.

I get the feeling you don't read my posts at all.

Uniballs are merely a self lubricated Heim Joint. Question is, why don't you use Heim Joints? They are proven to work and are readily available. maybe you could tell the shop you wanted those Uniballs and maybe he knows them under another name. Its simple to talk to shops, they are in the business to get in parts.

How many tire shops did you call? Shops here in town can get the 24inch tires. It'll take a couple days to get here but they will order them. I can understand your impatience with calling numerous shops .. or shop and getting aggrivated. Your not in the business of parts to know to call EVERYONE and you can get it delivered. Google even says its 1hr 28min drive. You stopping for coffee and donuts on the way North? Sidney it says 1hr 44min...

I said a mechanical/tuner business can not make money because they can NOT AFFORD TO SIT ON THE 10K BUY INS to get the discount to re sell the product to make a profit. Those guys you listed own a PARTS BUSINESS. They can afford the large buy ins and re sell for a profit. Thats how they make their money. Are you simple?

You need to go to these guys dood, it might help you in this situation: http://www.clicknkids.com/Phonics.asp
Old 01-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #22
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Why do you think no one posts here anymore....
danny_d19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

that is funny true

92 Toyota supra highly modified (The ice cream will never have a chance to melt)
89 exo cage Toyota truck (so many gears to choose from)

I own nothing that is practical hahahaha
NashMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #24

Im beginning to see why...