REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #101
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchrocone View Post
That pretty encouraging especially if the weak inflation numbers are right.

Hey, how come no-ones laughing??

numbers probbaly went up because all the lower paying people got layed off?....
Advertisement
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #102
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
what? it says I'm renting out the 2nd bmd... which would conclude I own both.
You said you're renting an apt, or do you own a condo?

If you're renting an apartment, and sharing it with a roommate, you cannot deduct anything.

If you own the condo and are renting the second bedroom, you must lookup the rules of what you can deduct on your principle residence, and what percentage of your principle residence you're allowed to declare as a rental.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #103
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
if you living an a 2 bedroom apt and are renting out the 2nd bedroom, can you write off the whole amount? or only half of it? what about TV, internet, elect bill ect?
I'm in the same situation as you. I own a condo, but I rent out a bedroom. You're allowed to deduct a portion of your expenses depending on how much space you use (e.g. 60-70 % of the apartment for your own use, 30-40% of the remaining expenses you can deduct since you're renting out the other portion.)

See the following on CRA's page for more information: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4...tml#P360_33597

Quote:
Watch this practice, you'll lose the capital gains exemption on your house.
But, if my house/condo is my principal residence, am I not exempt anyway? I haven't looked into this too much myself, but wouldn't everyone who is renting a portion of their primary residence (e.g. a basement, bedroom, etc.) be losing this exemption when they sell their property? Or is it just that most people are not claiming their rental income?

Quote:
24 is reasonable, that's a 50k/year job. How many people do you know make 80K? And yes, I mean outside your close knit circle of well heeled friends.
I'm taking a wild stab based on what I see and other people I talk to who aren't close friends. I guess there are various explanations:
- many are living on credit and are going to get screwed over when that day of reckoning comes
- others have two or more jobs and are using these jobs to support their lifestyle
- some are involved in crime, OR
- the job titles that people spit out do really mean something and they are making an above-average wage. (I guess I tend to believe this one more)

Last edited by Tapioca; 03-08-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #104
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
you could live month to month on that. but not the rest of your life. how are you going to pay rent between the ages and 60 and 90? you need to buy and have payed off a place to live before you retire. and you're not going to buy a place around here making 45k.
Its all about how you manage your money. I had debt (about 10k) coming out of school. Had it paid off, bought a car, and then bought a place within 5 years of leaving school all on under 40k a year.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #105
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
Its all about how you manage your money. I had debt (about 10k) coming out of school. Had it paid off, bought a car, and then bought a place within 5 years of leaving school all on under 40k a year.
some people who make under 50k like myself are fine whereas I know tons of people that make 50k and are struggling to survive. It comes down to money management
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #106
RS controls my life!

bump, stats for December 2011 was released
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: