REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Taillight and Headlight Tinting HELP ME~!

Hey there you guys I have a 06 Audi A4 and I purchased taillight tint film and same for the headlights the only prob is that i don't know how to install them so I was wondering if anyone can help me put these on?~ PM me if you can help me install them thanks soo much`1
Advertisement
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Do NOT install it. It is illegal and dangerous to make your tail/brake lights harder to see and get less light out of your headlights. Why would you want to do that anyway?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
i thought you can tint the housing, but you just can't change the original bulb colours. eg. turn signals MUST be orange bulbs, but the lens can be clear/smoked etc.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
i thought you can tint the housing, but you just can't change the original bulb colours. eg. turn signals MUST be orange bulbs, but the lens can be clear/smoked etc.
Not so....

General maintenance

4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

General lighting requirements

4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

Last edited by zulutango; 08-30-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

I understand but still wanna get this done anyone?
Old 08-31-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Anyone know if they can help me!~
Old 08-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself, call around to some window tinting places. They'd be able to do it no problem.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

I would wonder about the civil liability to a business that applies illegal tint the compromises the safety of a vehicle?

I can see the civil trial now...in a civil trial guilt is established on the balance of probabilities...ie 51%...not beyond all reasonable doubt. MR Smith of ABC tinting, let me get this correct in my mind...you are in the business of tinting and you know that applying any tint to any required light is not only illegal but unsafe....that it will make Mr Jones' headlights,brake, turn and tail lights more difficult to see....so you did it for the money? Mr Smith your illegal actions contributed to this crash and therefore we find you % responsible in the $$$$ damage suit. Mr Jones I find you responsible for the % balance. There is a civil situation going on on Vancouver Island right now where someone who illegally modded their brake & rear signal lights, and got rear-ended, is being held responsible for the crash...NOT the car that ran into the back.

Last edited by zulutango; 08-31-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #9

Tinting shops are ALWAYS tinting windows/etc that is illegal. Like driver/passenger windows for example. They will do the work for you, but they will tell you right off the bat that it is illegal, and that they aren't responsible if you get a ticket.

As long as you know ahead of time, that you could get pulled over because of it, then thats all you need to know.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
RS Peace Officer

The getting pulled over is one thing, the raising your chances of a crash, is another.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

The getting pulled over is one thing, the raising your chances of a crash, is another. Just because the installer tells you it is illegal does not absolve them from liability.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #12

Really? Well any time I've had illegal stuff on my car, it's always been 100% my fault. Even if I was never told it was illegal (which has happened to me in the past). The cops never want to hear excuses, they just want you to take the shit off.

I'm not arguing that the tint is safe. It's annoying following behind guys with smoked out taillights on a sunny day. But it's his choice.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

no no there like a really light tint there like 35% soo not that dark
Old 09-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Not that dark...kinda like not that pregnant?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

yeah lol ha ha ha
Old 09-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
retired

35% is pretty dark. I have that on my rear windows... And if you were to do that to your tail lights/head lights, it isn't advisable.

Tinting the outside of the headlight is just plain stupid. Why would you want to decrease the headlight output?
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:31 PM   #17
Rider

Thanked 2,601 Times in 272 Posts
i saw a silver honda civic with blacked out tail light. lol its so black.
u cant even see the bulb .. it was near pne. :P
Old 09-02-2008, 06:13 AM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

its gunna look like this http://www.graphicscut.com/images/a4.../a4tl06-07.jpg

http://www.graphicscut.com/images/a4...tl06-07-02.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

headlights are gunna be this dark http://cgi.ebay.ca/AUDI-A4-S4-HEADLI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

anyone wut do you guys think
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

I think that looks dope. I just recently smoked out my tail lights by myself and im happy. What you need to do is spray your tail light/head light with water (couple drops of dish soap) along with the tint. This will now allow you to move around and adjust the position of the tint since the water is preventing it from sticking. Once you've positioned it perfectly, start pushin those bubbles out until its smooth. After that, take an exacto knife and trim the edges, DONE
Raver4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #22
I am Hook'd on RS

too heaty
cant justify it.
TylerS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

but still i know it sounds easy but i'll mess it up man~
Quote:
I think that looks dope. I just recently smoked out my tail lights by myself and im happy. What you need to do is spray your tail light/head light with water (couple drops of dish soap) along with the tint. This will now allow you to move around and adjust the position of the tint since the water is preventing it from sticking. Once you've positioned it perfectly, start pushin those bubbles out until its smooth. After that, take an exacto knife and trim the edges, DONE
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #24
RS controls my life!

planning to smoke out my lude ,where can we get the tint film GreenMachine any stores?
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #25
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

its on you tube..search autotrim design: tail lights tinting...theres a detailed explanation there for you..

and yea where do u get the tint from around here?