REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #26
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
just because you dont listen, doesnt mean shes not talking
haha someone here understands.
Advertisement
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
My mom opened my ICBC letter and found the bike...after 14 months of owning it. lol
She was FUCKING FUCKING MAD....

the bike was always parked behind my car, and she thought it belongs to my neighbour.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #28
Banned (ABWS)

Well I'm 19 and have taken a fair amount of risks and yet, I highly recommend you do NOT get a bike license, let alone ride a motorbike. It's very dangerous, even if your a pro biker. It's other drivers that are the main cause of bike accidents. And this is something that is beyond your control. The only way I would approve of gettin a bike is if you take this special course for bikers. It really pricey but in the end you'll be a biking god. But yeah, if your just planning on taking some mickey mouse biking courses ur taking a risk. All it takes is one close call for you to say no more to biking, but you might not even get that chance. So, whats more important, being able to ride a bike or your life?
Raver4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver4Life View Post
Well I'm 19 and have taken a fair amount of risks and yet, I highly recommend you do NOT get a bike license, let alone ride a motorbike. It's very dangerous, even if your a pro biker. It's other drivers that are the main cause of bike accidents. And this is something that is beyond your control. The only way I would approve of gettin a bike is if you take this special course for bikers. It really pricey but in the end you'll be a biking god. But yeah, if your just planning on taking some mickey mouse biking courses ur taking a risk. All it takes is one close call for you to say no more to biking, but you might not even get that chance. So, whats more important, being able to ride a bike or your life?
I swear I heard this somewhere before.... oh yea my parents.
kspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
My mom opened my ICBC letter and found the bike...after 14 months of owning it. lol
She was FUCKING FUCKING MAD....

the bike was always parked behind my car, and she thought it belongs to my neighbour.
rlol. u have got to be kidding me. 14 months? wow. you might as well tell her that they mail to the wrong address after 14 months.
ecsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raver4Life View Post
so you think taking a course will make u become a biker god? so everyone who graduates from university is going to get a well paying job?

as for the course most places offer it for $700. i never took the course and thank god i've never been in an accident *knock on wood* but if you think a course is going to solve everything you must be very naive. guys who take the course and start off on a 600 when they can barely handle a 250 can't be helped even if valentino rossi taught them.

i started on a 600, no course taken, its whether you're in control of yourself. got myself a nice helmet for the 700 i saved. i know people who've taken the course who got into an accident their 2nd week riding. just because you don't have a university degree doesn't mean u can't make money.

PS pro biking is nothing compared to motorcycling, not even close.

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #32
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
just because you dont listen, doesnt mean shes not talking
Actually, I wasn't kidding. My mother doesn't tell me what to do, she didn't try and tell my older siblings what to do either because she knows that we're all adults and can make our own decisions.
FrostyFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

My parents r fine with it. Im 19 too and im sensible enough to know at my age a bike would be the end of me. A scooter on the other hand is a great way to start and with few slight mods can be quick enough to have a good ride.
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #34
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
9 out of 10 people i see on scooters look like they are just waiting to die. all over the road and in and out of the bike lanes, in peoples blind spots, in terrible lane positions for being seen going thru interesections, doing 50 in a 60 when traffic is doing 70 causing people to weave around them. and i cant even count how many ive seen wearing bicycle helmets. combined with when you ride a motorcycle you at least have to have some knowledge of safe riding habits and pass a safety test. yet anyone from a 16 year old kid with an N to a 75 year old blind senior can, and will, buy a scooter with no clue how to ride it safely.

its funny how many times ive had conversations with people that said "motorcycles are dangerous" and "well its not the rider its usually the traffic that causes the accidents" and "im going to get a scooter, much safer" all in the same conversation. where is the logic in that?

i am by no means saying motorcycles are safer than scooters by any means, but to say that a scooter is any safer than a bike in the city is absolutely rediculous
Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #35
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
i dont think years of driving experience or milage driven matters much.
I feel i have a much better understanding of the idiocy of other drivers on the road and have seen alot more situations in traffic than when i first started driving, as well as having learned what to watch for in traffic, which i cant imagine will hurt any when it comes to riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
your mom is going to tell you what to do until the day she fucking dies.
QFT my mom still tries to tell my sister what to do and she lives in montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
so you think taking a course will make u become a biker god? so everyone who graduates from university is going to get a well paying job?
but if you think a course is going to solve everything you must be very naive.
It may not make you a god or solve every problem, but from my experience lots of these courses offer techniques and helpful insight that one may not figure out on their own (i'm assuming this transfers to riding courses as well).

Last edited by stevo911_; 09-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #36
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
9 out of 10 people i see on scooters look like they are just waiting to die. all over the road and in and out of the bike lanes, in peoples blind spots, in terrible lane positions for being seen going thru interesections, doing 50 in a 60 when traffic is doing 70 causing people to weave around them. and i cant even count how many ive seen wearing bicycle helmets. combined with when you ride a motorcycle you at least have to have some knowledge of safe riding habits and pass a safety test. yet anyone from a 16 year old kid with an N to a 75 year old blind senior can, and will, buy a scooter with no clue how to ride it safely.

its funny how many times ive had conversations with people that said "motorcycles are dangerous" and "well its not the rider its usually the traffic that causes the accidents" and "im going to get a scooter, much safer" all in the same conversation. where is the logic in that?

i am by no means saying motorcycles are safer than scooters by any means, but to say that a scooter is any safer than a bike in the city is absolutely rediculous
The reason for that is there's no MC license required to use a 50cc.....so people on scooters have no fucking clue about lane position, gear, et cetera. Personally I think it takes 10 times the mental capacity to ride a bike than it does to drive a car. You pay way more attention to what's going on around you because in traffic there ain't no airbag that's going to save you when a car doesn't check a blind spot.

With self control you can pretty much start on any bike if you have the strength to balance it while stopped. I started on a 600cc sport bike with ZERO experience....and when I say zero I mean I didn't even ride dirt bikes as a kid. I took the safety council course.....ended up doing 8,000kms in 2 months on my 01 600 and sold it to get a new bike.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #37

Quote:

With this said, i've yet to read about a scooter accident causing death. But i agree with you respectively. Those scooter bastards are crazyyyyyyyyyy. I had one pass me in my lane the other day i'm slow.
Good_KarMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 AM   #38
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
With this said, i've yet to read about a scooter accident causing death. But i agree with you respectively. Those scooter bastards are crazyyyyyyyyyy. I had one pass me in my lane the other day i'm slow.
Think about it... who would talk about scooter accidents? at least not on bcsportbikes.com

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #39

i also had 0 experience before getting on my first bike. no dirt, no nothing. first bike was a 99 CBR600F4. I didnt take the course, but I still recommend it for everyone.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Pay for your own bike and the parents can't say a damn thing, even if you're living under their roof. In fact, they'll probably respect you for it over time. Having a spotless driving record also works wonders towards your parents' peace of mind.

City driving/experience is everything. If you think worrying about jackass drivers is hard enough, now factor in rain, potholes, gravel, oil slicks, road camber changes, cars pulling out, doors opening.. and the big one, cars turning left in front of you. #1 killer of motorcyclists.

Not saying a riding course is everything, but imho it sure helps a crapload. The instructor at PRS (not verified but I'll take his word for it) told us that in 2007, out of 43 motorcycle fatalities in the GVRD, it was found that 41 did NOT take a course. Dunno if that includes scooters but you get the idea. Way too easily to accidentally jerk the throttle and find yourself going too hot into a sharp curve.

Got my Class6 after a full 10 years of Class5. A bit late, but imho one should have at least 5 years of day-to-day city experience before riding. Like buddy up there said, you can start on any bike that you are strong enough to balance and right from a tilted position at a standstill. However, I would NOT recommend a supersport (like a ZX6-R or R1) as a starter bike as boy are those unstable to hold/ride. My friend got one for his 1st bike and he's already dumped it 5+ times, and is too damn scared of dying (he took the course with me) to even leave his neighbourhood. There's nothing more embarassing/painful than dumping a pristine bike in the middle of a busy intersection. Regular sportbikes are already fun enough as it is.

Personally I picked up a FZ6 (600cc, regular sportbike) 2 weeks after passing my Class6 (a whopping 35 days since I started the riding course) and actually I'm VERY happy with the performance. Easy to ride, and enough juice even when 2upping. Bike's a keeper

Oh, and ATGATT. All the gear, all the time.

Last edited by slammer111; 09-23-2008 at 06:47 AM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:24 PM   #41
Banned (BBM)

I agree about having 5 years of driving experience first. I didn't have any problems starting on a 600 sport bike because I didn't need to worry about learning to be on the road or in traffic, that was already second nature, I spent the time focusing on how to ride the powerful machine I was on correctly.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Oh, and ATGATT. All the gear, all the time.
QFT, even though i admit theres days that i just wear a tee shirt, but those days are riding the bike AT SPEED LIMIT and full alertness. Its all about self control.

one piece of gear that alot of people don't care about are boots. the last thing u want to do is damage anything in your ankles/feet. you use it everyday, and its something that is easily damaged (playing bball, tennis, running can all sprain it pretty badly). a full boot (covers ankle) is critical to riding, and it feels much much better.

I remember when i rode the first season with sneakers, you feel the air passing though and it seems so uneasy cas it can just SHATTER when u fall. when i got race boots i felt so much more secure and its even gotten to the point where i have to ride with it, much like i HAVE to ride with gloves.

i remember seeing a guy on a brand new r6 w/ affliction t, shorts, nike shox, and a helmet. NO gloves...... i mean 90% of the time u'll end up on ur hands...... and without ur hands u can't do shit.....

AT THE VERY LEAST, GLOVES and BOOTS

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #43

^ and a helmet
Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM   #44
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
^ and a helmet
Duh, that's required by law....the rest isn't.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #45

fully agree.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyFire View Post
Duh, that's required by law....the rest isn't.
I was kidding!

Last edited by Good_KarMa; 09-22-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ In the biking community, people who only wear a helmet are called "squid riders" because that's exactly what they look like after a nasty accident. (bulbous helmet with a bunch of red stringy things hanging out ><)

At PRS they call those same riders "human crayons". Doesn't matter what colour you are on the outside, we're all red on the inside

Last edited by slammer111; 09-23-2008 at 06:51 AM.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

I had to wait until I moved to another country, got married and moved out before I bought my bike on my own..... and once you move out... who says you HAVE to tell your mom? LOL
But seriously.... just go easy with the first bike and get no bigger than 600cc.... or a second hand bike would be best, don't have to worry about dropping it (though, TOUCH WOOD, I still haven't dropped mine yet)

Either way, good luck and stay safe!
RX Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #49
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
^ In the biking community, people who only wear a helmet are called "squid riders" because that's exactly what they look like after a nasty accident. (bulbous helmet with a bunch of red stringy things hanging out ><)

WOW. Thanks for that, I never really thought about the meaning to the term.....learn something new everyday!

Hmm.... slammer111..... are you the Slammer that I know?
RX Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #50
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

just do it behidn her back
RX-7.FC is offline   Reply With Quote