REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:01 AM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
Yeah, when you are exercising , think of your heart as a hot pan, and when you drink ice cold water too suddenly, your heart will mess up real bad or something
How about I think of my brain as a hot pan and reading you and JudeChow's posts suddenly make my brain mess up real bad?

You drink water. When water goes in your mouth, it's warmed up. When it goes down your throat, it's warmed up. When it gets to your stomach it's warmed up.

So how is the cold water going to affect your heart? Are ice daggers going to suddenly pierce your throat and stab your heart? Is the cold water going to be absorbed into my bloodstream, freeze my fat and cause coagulation in my heart valves?

I'm trying really hard to understand, but really, when it comes down to it, you're a moron.

DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 AM   #27
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

this thread is awesome.

after every 3 posts saying it's bullshit another tard comes in and says zomg it's so true!
Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #28
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

yes raw food is better..doesnt mean it tastes better though
B-nAnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #29
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
Yeah, when you are exercising , think of your heart as a hot pan, and when you drink ice cold water too suddenly, your heart will mess up real bad or something
Oh

My

God.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #30
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The nutritional difference of hot or cold food is nil as your body will heat it up for digestion by the time it reaches the small intestines. Heated food, obviously, denatures the proteins and enzymes of the food - and depending on the food (veggie especially), raw may well be more beneficial; although it should also be remembered that the pH of the stomach would also work to denature many of the proteins.

yellowpower:
The heart would not "mess up." Its rate is not dependent on tiny heat fluctuations brought about by food. Things that affect the heart rate include exercise (increased metabolic rate), or larger temperature changes to the body which necessitate a higher metabolism for more body heat, or the fight or flight response with anxiety being a factor.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #31
God of Unce

^ Hmm wow, i just learned something that would benefit me lol
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #32
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeChow View Post
Raw foods requires your body to work harder to break it down into the most fundamental building blocks. Too much raw foods can also be hard on your liver, again as it is required to work harder. Cold liquids after eating a fatty meal is usually not reccommended as it may solidify fats that you have just consumed.
Incorrect. By the time the stomach has heated and worked on the bolus of food for a period of time, it has already achieved body temperature. When it proceeds further through the digestive system, emulsifiers in bile further work to break down the fats.
In essence, digestion is uniform by the time the small intestine is reached - regardless of whether it was cold or hot when eaten.
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #33
RS controls my life!

achiam is correct w/ above post.

cooking has multiple effects on the nutritional value of food. For one it denatures protein as achiam said above. Depending on the food you are cooking various things can happen like reducing the bioavailability of certain amino acids e.g. Lysine from Maillard reaction.

there's also significant losses in minerals and vitamins when you cook for instance vegetables. So like a raw carrot would have more vitamin A than the same carrot cooked.

Last edited by f00tzilla; 01-28-2009 at 08:55 PM.
f00tzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #34
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Strange enough, one of the few items that benefits from being cooked is a tomato...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #35
Retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Strange enough, one of the few items that benefits from being cooked is a tomato...
Yup. The heat helps tomatoes release some antioxidant called Lyco-something or other.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #36
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Yup. The heat helps tomatoes release some antioxidant called Lyco-something or other.
I think its Lycopene which decreases the risk of heart disease from what I remembered learning before. At the same time, cooking a tomato actually decreases some nutritional value like a decrease in certain vitmains (Probably C)

"Our scars have the power to remind us that the past was real [lest we forget."
- Dr. Hannibal Lecter
StampPad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #37
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Oh

My

God.
I lol'ed.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote