REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 179
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 hr prohibition police report?

the other day I received a 24 hr suspension on my license and also received a couple traffic violation tickets, when I went to pick up my license I asked if i could have a copy of the police report, and the lady at the desk said there wasnt one. I was put in handcuffs, and roughed up pretty bad. I had to do a breathalyzer, and Im curious to what I blew, when I did the test it just said failed isnt it supposed to give a number reading? Would there even be a police report over this or is the only thing on my file is the 24 hr prohibition copy of my suspension that I received as well, with the traffic violation ticket?
Advertisement
do_da_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer
 
Five-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 471
Thanked 59 Times in 8 Posts
You should be thankful you only got a 24 hour suspension. Having blown a fail means you were over 100 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. Which means you could have also been given an Administrative Driving Prohibition (3 month driving suspension on top of your 24 hour suspension) and you could have been charged criminally for impaired operation of a motor vehicle and impaired operation of a motor vehicle over 0.08. You are also lucky you didn't kill yourself or somebody else by doing what you did.

So to answer your questions, there is no numerical reading on the road side screening device. There is a numerical reading if you are under, then a "WARN" for a 24 hour suspension and a "FAIL" for criminal charges. There would be a police report. On your 24hour suspension there will be a police file number on the right hand side about half way down. The police department you got that from should have the paper work needed for you to obtain a copy of that report.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 179
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
having blown a "fail" would they have this on the file? and if so could I still be charged for it
do_da_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Yes you COULD get charged for it.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: van island
Posts: 132
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i once got a 24hr for sleeping in my truck.
no breathalyzer no test whatsoever didnt even ask if i was drinking

ended up losing my license for 2 months over it.

just makes me think i would have been better of driving home...
__________________
killing is my business..
mr.slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slave View Post
Just makes me think i would have been better off driving home...
Not! If you are going to be drinking, stay away from motor vehicles unless you have a designated driver. Far better that you should crash on a couch or make similar arrangements. Too many fatal collisions involve alcohol and drugs and you have no right whatsoever to take a risk with other people's lives.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_da_drew View Post
Would there even be a police report over this?
The officer is obligated to make notes of the circumstances on the Officer's Notes portion of the 24 hour prohibition. This is a page that is submitted to the Superintendent along with the prohibition itself.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slave View Post
i once got a 24hr for sleeping in my truck.
no breathalyzer no test whatsoever didnt even ask if i was drinking

ended up losing my license for 2 months over it.

just makes me think i would have been better of driving home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Not! If you are going to be drinking, stay away from motor vehicles unless you have a designated driver. Far better that you should crash on a couch or make similar arrangements. Too many fatal collisions involve alcohol and drugs and you have no right whatsoever to take a risk with other people's lives.
He didn't even say that he HAD been drinking, only that he was sleeping in his truck. You're the last person I would expect to jump to conclusions, skidmark
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 179
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Yes you COULD get charged for it.
really? I was told since they already gave me the 24 hr suspension, and didnt throw me in jail or tow my car that they couldnt go back and criminally charge me unless it happened at the time.
do_da_drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-levels, HK
Posts: 913
Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
He didn't even say that he HAD been drinking, only that he was sleeping in his truck. You're the last person I would expect to jump to conclusions, skidmark
I haven't been on these forums for a long time but I can already see many of the cops here jump to conclusions very quickly... probably habit from work?..

Last edited by Zyzz; 09-29-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: van island
Posts: 132
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Not! If you are going to be drinking, stay away from motor vehicles unless you have a designated driver. Far better that you should crash on a couch or make similar arrangements. Too many fatal collisions involve alcohol and drugs and you have no right whatsoever to take a risk with other people's lives.
i crashed on the bench seat in my truck and got a 24 hr.

had i driven home i could have at least got a chance of not getting the ticket
thats all i was left thinking after begin handed the ticket (not to mention the 500 dollar tow bill and impound fee and 2 months of no license)

if you ask me the cop was out of line and that law is ridiculous. i realize ignorance isnt and excuse but suspicion isnt just cause for getting tickets.

edit. just to be clear. i have NEVER driven impaired by anything.
i wont ever drive impaired. i thought i was doing the right thing by not driving but now theres a sour taste in my mouth
__________________
killing is my business..

Last edited by mr.slave; 09-29-2008 at 05:22 AM.
mr.slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsvs View Post
I haven't been on these forums for a long time but I can already see many of the cops here jump to conclusions very quickly... probably habit from work?..
Experience, as much as anything, I think. They've seen enough to have a pretty good idea of what really happened most of the time.

It's just a little odd to see skidmark make that assumption, as he's proven less likely to make that leap... granted, in this case, we see it WAS correct, but still...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #13
RS Peace Officer
 
Five-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 471
Thanked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slave View Post
i once got a 24hr for sleeping in my truck.
no breathalyzer no test whatsoever didnt even ask if i was drinking

ended up losing my license for 2 months over it.

just makes me think i would have been better of driving home...
No breath test is needed to issue a 24 hour suspension. If the officer is satisfied he has reasonable and probable grounds to believe a person is impaired by alcohol a 24 hour roadside suspension can be issued on the officer's discretion. Having said that, if at that time the accused requests a breath test, the officer is obligated to administer a breath test.

As for the impaired care and control argument, in my opinion it is necessary to have those laws in place. You know you weren't going to drive, but the officer meeting you for the first time doesn't know that. Picture for example the officer checks on you, sees that you are hammered and sleeping in your truck, but lets you stay there because he thinks you are going to sleep it off. So now that you have been woken up, you can't get back to sleep and toss and turn for about 30 minutes. Finally you decide you will try driving home to get to your bed and on the way there you crash and kill yourself and/or somebody else. Personally, I would have a very hard time dealing with that, if I believe I could have prevented a death but didn't. Add to that, the officer will have an internal investigation into what he did and possibly lose his job and the added media/public scrutiny on top of that. I know there are a lot of "what ifs" there, but unfortunately what we do is under the public microscope 24/7 and we have to account for everything we do/don't do and why we did what we did or didn't do.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)
 
azzurro32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: west vancouver
Posts: 878
Thanked 82 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
No breath test is needed to issue a 24 hour suspension. If the officer is satisfied he has reasonable and probable grounds to believe a person is impaired by alcohol a 24 hour roadside suspension can be issued on the officer's discretion. Having said that, if at that time the accused requests a breath test, the officer is obligated to administer a breath test.

As for the impaired care and control argument, in my opinion it is necessary to have those laws in place. You know you weren't going to drive, but the officer meeting you for the first time doesn't know that. Picture for example the officer checks on you, sees that you are hammered and sleeping in your truck, but lets you stay there because he thinks you are going to sleep it off. So now that you have been woken up, you can't get back to sleep and toss and turn for about 30 minutes. Finally you decide you will try driving home to get to your bed and on the way there you crash and kill yourself and/or somebody else. Personally, I would have a very hard time dealing with that, if I believe I could have prevented a death but didn't. Add to that, the officer will have an internal investigation into what he did and possibly lose his job and the added media/public scrutiny on top of that. I know there are a lot of "what ifs" there, but unfortunately what we do is under the public microscope 24/7 and we have to account for everything we do/don't do and why we did what we did or didn't do.

I tottaly respect that. But since he wasnt caught driving, and the officer had no proof that he drove his truck there drunk, and the officer certaintly cant predict the future and say he's going to get into his truck and drive off, wouldnt it be logical/fair to just have him tow his car and have him walk/cab home?

To me that is kind of like getting charged for attempted murder simply because you have a gun on you.


Also, are you at all allowed to sleep in your truck (when impaired)? Judging by this thread I guess not. What if you put your keys in your trunk?

This rule doesn't give drunk people much of an option other than to drive home drunk.
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Vancouver
Posts: 669
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
My buddy got a 24 hour suspension for pushing his car beacause he was to drunk to drive. I would'nt advise this though as pushing ur car on the highway drunk isnt always ur best bet. He did manage to make it 3kms though which i thought was a decent effort!

Last edited by skidmark; 09-30-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Adsdeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
PR0WL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Richmond
Posts: 610
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do_da_drew:

You are extremely lucky if you blew a fail and all you got was a few tickets and a 24 hour suspension.

As for the police report, you have to apply for it, fill out an application that you can get at most detachments.
PR0WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!
 
Inaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MoI
Posts: 6,554
Thanked 1,408 Times in 668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro32 View Post
This rule doesn't give drunk people much of an option other than to drive home drunk.
You ALWAYS have the option of taking a cab home and going back for your car later, or setting up a ride home previous to going out. And before anyone says maybe they didn't have enough money, well if you don't have enough money for a cab, don't go out. Or take the bus home. there's multiple options.
__________________
"Can you match my resolve? If so then you will succeed. I believe that the human spirit is indomitable. If you endeavour to achieve, it will happen given enough resolve." -- Monty Oum

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: van island
Posts: 132
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Oh View Post
No breath test is needed to issue a 24 hour suspension. If the officer is satisfied he has reasonable and probable grounds to believe a person is impaired by alcohol a 24 hour roadside suspension can be issued on the officer's discretion. Having said that, if at that time the accused requests a breath test, the officer is obligated to administer a breath test.

As for the impaired care and control argument, in my opinion it is necessary to have those laws in place. You know you weren't going to drive, but the officer meeting you for the first time doesn't know that. Picture for example the officer checks on you, sees that you are hammered and sleeping in your truck, but lets you stay there because he thinks you are going to sleep it off. So now that you have been woken up, you can't get back to sleep and toss and turn for about 30 minutes. Finally you decide you will try driving home to get to your bed and on the way there you crash and kill yourself and/or somebody else. Personally, I would have a very hard time dealing with that, if I believe I could have prevented a death but didn't. Add to that, the officer will have an internal investigation into what he did and possibly lose his job and the added media/public scrutiny on top of that. I know there are a lot of "what ifs" there, but unfortunately what we do is under the public microscope 24/7 and we have to account for everything we do/don't do and why we did what we did or didn't do.
i appreciate your response and i completely agree with all that.
Drinking and driving is retarded, but me sleeping it off in my truck caused me to lose my license for 2 months and in turn my job. i feel that what the officer should have done was just tell me to get out of the truck and that i cant be doing that. or at the most tow my truck.. no need for the 24 hr suspension in my eyes.
__________________
killing is my business..
mr.slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,613
Thanked 220 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slave View Post
i appreciate your response and i completely agree with all that.
Drinking and driving is retarded, but me sleeping it off in my truck caused me to lose my license for 2 months and in turn my job. i feel that what the officer should have done was just tell me to get out of the truck and that i cant be doing that. or at the most tow my truck.. no need for the 24 hr suspension in my eyes.
To be honest i don`t understand what happened to you. Were you drinking or not. You made it seem like you were not drinking, so therefore you should have disputed your ticket. I just dont see why you didnt force the cops to give you a breathalizer, if you had not been drinking.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #20
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: van island
Posts: 132
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslater View Post
To be honest i don`t understand what happened to you. Were you drinking or not. You made it seem like you were not drinking, so therefore you should have disputed your ticket. I just dont see why you didnt force the cops to give you a breathalizer, if you had not been drinking.
i was at a party and had a 6 pack o bud and passed out in my truck cause it was too cold out.
then got woken up by the police got told to step out he took my license walks to his car then 15 minutes later hands me the ticket and informs me my truck will be towed.
theres nothing else that i havent said before.
this happened over a year ago and im still bitter.
__________________
killing is my business..
mr.slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,613
Thanked 220 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.slave View Post
i was at a party and had a 6 pack o bud and passed out in my truck cause it was too cold out.
then got woken up by the police got told to step out he took my license walks to his car then 15 minutes later hands me the ticket and informs me my truck will be towed.
theres nothing else that i havent said before.
this happened over a year ago and im still bitter.
Oh, i thought the law stated you had to be in control of the vehicle or something to be charged. So that if you were in the back seat, and the keys were in the trunk that was fine.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #22
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Your Mom's Box
Posts: 618
Thanked 4,079 Times in 295 Posts
Yeah I thought you had to be in the drivers seat under the influence in order to get charged? Passed out in the back seat?? wont be doing that again.
socialenemy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
The law states that you cannot be "in care and control" of a vehicle when intoxicated. Unfortunately exactly what constitutes being "in care an control" seems to be open to pretty broad interpretation by the cop involved. There's been one thread here where a person claims he was charged just leaning up against a buddy's car. In theory, you could be charged while retrieving your phone and/or wallet from your car in attempting to do the REALLY responsible thing by calling a cab.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 09-29-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:04 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS
 
underscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kel-pwn-a
Posts: 11,975
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,172 Posts
^ thats why any time that my friends go to get gum/CD's/etc from their cars, I tell them to go in the passenger door. Not many people enter the drivers seat using the passenger door = less likely to be mistaken for a potential drunk driver.

on the topic of sleeping it off in the back of your vehicle or being in/near it but not actually in the drivers seat, couldn't the officer simply take your keys and bring them back to you in however many hours they think it will take for you to sober up or call you a cab if you'd prefer to do that? then breathalyze you again when they bring your keys back to make sure you're good to go?
__________________
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S // 1991 Toyota Celica GTFour RC FOR SALE // 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #25
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BC
Posts: 819
Thanked 70 Times in 28 Posts
If i leave the car key with a friend/pub/anywhere but myself and just take the remote/fob and sleep in the car, if cop comes up to me, I won't be able to get charged?
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net