REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   Possible relocation to victoria (https://www.revscene.net/forums/550547-possible-relocation-victoria.html)

AJL 10-24-2008 04:04 PM

Possible relocation to victoria

Long story short. My GF has been accepted to Uvic for her Masters/phd. My company has a small satelite office in victoria for a project we are designing/building. I applied for a position in the victoria office and regardless she is moving to victoria for school in Janurary.

What are some good areas to live in? I have searched and found a few threads

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ght=appartment

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ight=apartment

Does anyone have any other insite?
I would like to keep my rent to around $1000/month inclusive, is this possible?

slammedcivicsi 10-24-2008 04:34 PM

you can find suite/appartment listing on www.timescolonist.com its the local paper, www.usedvictoria.com also has places, and www.myidealhome.com

The rental market had changed dramatically in Victoria over the last 2 years. I just recently moved back here and had a very hard time finding a place.

Hope that helps.

Black SC2 10-24-2008 05:18 PM

Where is your office? With that info we can try to point you towards an area between her school, and your work.

AJL 10-24-2008 05:59 PM

My office will be in two locations. Blanshard and cloverdale area plus bellville and goverment... i will spend 3 days a week at blanshard 1 day at goverment and 1 day in vancouver.

Just been browsing the rental adds and boy are places more expensive in saanich then coquitlam

sixthgear 10-24-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJL (Post 6088296)
My office will be in two locations. Blanshard and cloverdale area plus bellville and goverment... i will spend 3 days a week at blanshard 1 day at goverment and 1 day in vancouver.

Just been browsing the rental adds and boy are places more expensive in saanich then coquitlam

Welcome to the south island

jigga250 10-24-2008 07:18 PM

what is your girl taking, out of curiousity

AJL 10-24-2008 07:25 PM

marine biology i believe...

jigga250 10-24-2008 07:44 PM

she'll be in the same bldg as me then

whats her name:D

Black SC2 10-24-2008 08:12 PM

I used to live in the Quadra Woods building at Quadra/ McKenzie. It was a good building then (3 years ago now pretty much). It's also a nice area to live. Close to both of the places you guys need to get too, everything is there in terms of services, and it's a straight shot to the ferries for when you guys go home to visit. We were paying about $825/ mo for a top floor, corner, 2 bedroom unit, including hot water and two parking spaces, one covered. Though that was after 8 years of rent control...

AJL 10-24-2008 08:15 PM

825... wow. Just from what i have seen 1k isn't getting me much... but i haven;t looked very hard.

Manic! 10-26-2008 01:08 PM

Also take look at Craigslist and Kijiji.

ChrisStang 10-26-2008 02:31 PM

So you are looking strictly at rental then? I have a lovely starter home my wife and I are selling... Has a garage.

just saying..

Corey Darling 10-26-2008 04:03 PM

I just moved to victoria with my Girlfriend, We are paying 1295 (only hot water included) for a 1 bedroom 6th floor apartment (the astoria) downtown behind the empress.

Its a pretty small apartment, about 550sq feet max. But its a very nice building, with a decent view, and its close to everything. Also has a major bus terminus right outside the front door, with 2 buses that go straight to uvic.

You'll find the bus system here pretty much revolves around Uvic, so you GF will have no trouble getting to school.

I found 1000$ wont get you much :( And i also had a really tough time finding a place.

I suggest you call up Duttons real estate and property managers.

They helped me get this place within 1 week ! and i had been searching for 4 months.

www.duttons.com

How's this: http://www.duttons.com/single.html?id=122

Uvic also has an offcampus housing ad service you may want to check out.

Oh, and another good one to look up is Devon Properties, they manage tonnes of apartments around victoria and saanich.

www.devonprop.com

If you are willing to up your limit to about 1500/month (plus utilities), there are Tonnes of new condos/developements going up in downtown victoria/esquimalt.

ostampflee 10-26-2008 05:19 PM

Wow, prices have gotten crazy since I last looked 3-4 years ago. My last rent cheque was for $659 back in March. 650sqft 1bdroom... of course, the local crack addicts needed to be dealt with occasionally.

jigga250 10-26-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ostampflee (Post 6090786)
Wow, prices have gotten crazy since I last looked 3-4 years ago. My last rent cheque was for $659 back in March. 650sqft 1bdroom... of course, the local crack addicts needed to be dealt with occasionally.

no its okay, they have their own new condos now:rolleyes:

fenge 10-27-2008 09:32 AM

Renting has gotten crazy over the last couple years--I'd honestly suggest settling for an expensive or shitty apartment and continue to look for something better once you get here. It's very difficult to grab a place if you're from out of town, you have to be on top of the new listings the day they come out.

My girlfriend and I moved into a waterfront 1-bdrm suite 6 months ago and pay $900 inclusive, but we were the first ones to look at the suite, and we had our deposit & references ready to go.

GTS.Ed 10-27-2008 10:10 AM

Great68 10-28-2008 06:30 AM

I pay $1200 a month (Utilities extra) for a renovated 2 bedroom+den, 1000sq/ft main floor of a character home in the Summit Park (Hillside) area. I have a driveway to park in and a decent backyard that's basically mine.

I must have lucked out because there are a lot worse places for a lot more money.

Great68 10-28-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisStang (Post 6090582)
So you are looking strictly at rental then? I have a lovely starter home my wife and I are selling... Has a garage.

just saying..

Details?

AJL 10-28-2008 04:37 PM

wow thanks for all the help.

I am still working out the details surrounding my relocation... other projects to finish up plus i leave for a 2 week vacation during christmas.

I think I will head over for the long weekend to look at places and find someting then for Dec 1st or Jan 1st. We have found a few places in saanich for under $1000 that could be a good starter place while we get to know the area.

The hardest park is finding a place that isn't furnished, all the places that we looked at so far come furnished, and we have all the furniture we need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisStang (Post 6090582)

just saying..

thanks for the offer but sadly what you are selling for is probably more then i can get approved for at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey Darling (Post 6090695)
I just moved to victoria with my Girlfriend, We are paying 1295 (only hot water included) for a 1 bedroom 6th floor apartment (the astoria) downtown behind the empress.

Its a pretty small apartment, about 550sq feet max. But its a very nice building, with a decent view, and its close to everything. Also has a major bus terminus right outside the front door, with 2 buses that go straight to uvic.

You'll find the bus system here pretty much revolves around Uvic, so you GF will have no trouble getting to school.

I found 1000$ wont get you much :( And i also had a really tough time finding a place.

I suggest you call up Duttons real estate and property managers.

They helped me get this place within 1 week ! and i had been searching for 4 months.

www.duttons.com

How's this: http://www.duttons.com/single.html?id=122

Uvic also has an offcampus housing ad service you may want to check out.

Oh, and another good one to look up is Devon Properties, they manage tonnes of apartments around victoria and saanich.

www.devonprop.com

If you are willing to up your limit to about 1500/month (plus utilities), there are Tonnes of new condos/developements going up in downtown victoria/esquimalt.

Thanks,

I will contact them and see what service they have to offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS.Ed (Post 6091885)
if you are still looking for a place, and don't mind shared accommodation, send me a PM.

we are renting out the master bedroom in our house. huge room w/ it's own bathroom and a huge walk in closet. if you work on cars, there is a garage and lots of parking. and rent isn't retarded like everywhere else in vic.

just thought i'd throw it out there.

Thanks for the offer but we have to much furniture to deal with. I will keep it in mind if i get caught in a bind though and need a place for a week.

AJL 11-06-2008 08:55 PM

so it has begun and the hunt is on. The reloction happened on tuesday and i am living out of a hotel or flying back and forth every day.. so far i have been able to see one place and sent out 20 emails looking at places.

I now realize $1200-$1400 month is more of an appropriate price point

AJL 12-07-2008 01:06 PM

and the hunt is over... i found a nice place in what looks to be a decent area. Dallas and menzie area. The rental market ever interesting in victoria... that being said if anyone is reading this I am now looking for movers to get quotes from. OR people to help with the move into the appartment.

The move date is either Jan 4th or the following weekend. Any contact info would be appreciated, once settled i would like to take those who assited with advice out for a coffee/drink on me.

Gigarange 12-07-2008 03:30 PM

aww too bad you found something. My place will be comming up for rent Jan 1st time frame.
$800/month including everything but phone/internet/cable in the Interurban area. 1bd basement suite with in suite laundry.

Nice place, I just take possesion of my new townhouse on Dec. 30th.

AJL 12-07-2008 08:14 PM

thanks anyways.. we were looking for a two bedroom.

TouringTeg 12-08-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigarange (Post 6160542)
aww too bad you found something. My place will be comming up for rent Jan 1st time frame.
$800/month including everything but phone/internet/cable in the Interurban area. 1bd basement suite with in suite laundry.

Nice place, I just take possesion of my new townhouse on Dec. 30th.

Gotta say congrats Tom!