REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Real estate

anyone know how to go about in going into the real estate business?

First you need a license, correct me if i'm wrong... which is the best institution to take from?

And there are some Ads around I see on the light post or something, says you can finish it in 3 weeks or something, are those scams?

What are the typical costs and time?

Thanks
Advertisement
Marlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Follow the link:
http://www.recbc.ca/becoming_license...ngServices.htm

Most "to-be" realtors end up going through Sauder and then writing the licensing exam (100 m/c). There are course exemptions if you took related courses/programs and successfully completed them.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

you're about 5 years too late... nobody is buying now = no money for you.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^^^^^ yeah what he said!
Revive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
Director of RS Cares

it's nice to have
a license i mean

anyways, to answer your questions---take it through ubc and do their course (all distance stuff)
you have 1 year to complete the program and then you take the exam. the program itself costs about..i think it was...900? I forgot the cost but it's in that range.
after that you can hang your license with an office (remax/sutton/royal le page/etc). but of course, that's not the end to your learning process! you still need to take follow up classes with the real estate board to learn MLS and all that jazz afterwards.

for me, i've always been into presales with developers. it really helped me build up my confidence and selling abilities to buyers and i think if you feel kinda unfamiliar with the whole real estate business--i'd definitely say try working with some local developers if you aren't comfortable enough to be on your own just yet.

we have lots of realtors and members involved in the market so feel free to check out the real estate forum if you ever have any questions!

Last edited by miss_crayon; 11-10-2008 at 09:09 PM.
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

well i work for a realty company at the moment
if you want I can hook you up with interview or something

feedback
iPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

are there people who work part time in real estate?
or is it not even worth it?
im in construction right now,
ran my own business and stuff like that.
but i just want a change.

but i wont have enough money, if real estate is commission based.

thanks in advance.
silly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

RE is commission-based. The nature of the job allows one to work at it part time, though given what's going on, the hardest and smartest workers will make the most transactions.

It is a tough time to be in that business right now, as much as it is tough to be in construction.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

actually from what i see going on... construction hasnt really slow down yet.
and from all the different trades i talk to, them seem to have gotten busier.
*shrugs*
but i just dont want to be building shiet for the rest of my life..
><
silly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly View Post
actually from what i see going on... construction hasnt really slow down yet.
and from all the different trades i talk to, them seem to have gotten busier.
*shrugs*
but i just dont want to be building shiet for the rest of my life..
><
There is a slow down for sure although some companies might be feeling it more then others.

About 3 weeks ago I placed an add looking for tradesmen and I had over 75 different people call me in 3 days. I placed similar adds at a time the same time period last year and I was lucky if I got 3 or 4 calls over a week.

I even notice it with random people calling, i get at least 2-3 every single day calling me looking for work and a year ago that wouldn't happen.

Edit: We actually happen to be really busy right now but most of this work were doing either started a while back or we got it a while back and it hadn't started until now. Before you'd have only a handful of contractors bidding on a project where now there is a shitload bidding on each job. You're getting a lot of contractors who mainly do residential coming over and bidding on the commercial stuff that they normally would have no interest in.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^Werd. my company posted an ad as well, 3 weeks in and the resumes are still flying in.

The same position had 3 response last year
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I think the slowdown is mostly in the residential sector. We're still busy at the architecture firm I work at that we hired 2 more people just to keep up. Still working on a bunch of projects on the island, around the lower mainland and even Alberta.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Yup, same with us, all our residential projects are winding down (and some outright cancelled) but the commercial/industrial/government side is going well enough. Tons of guys applying. Kind of sad to see guys I worked with years ago that swore they'd never return because they were off to make money on their own, only to have to come slinking back because the economy turned to shit.
antonito is offline   Reply With Quote