REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Right now, I am playing Tier 5 in Ice604. I played 1 game in tier 9 in Coast against a "should be in tier 7 or 8" team and had way more fun.
I also play sunday nights at BWC.

I know I posted this in the Canucks thread, but I am playing this saturday night with some Canucks alumni. I'm thinking I wanna drop the gloves with Kirk McLean. Heehee.
Yo, what team do you plan on in Tier 5?
Advertisement
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #52
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
Yo, what team do you plan on in Tier 5?
That depends. Are you hitting on me?

Cubz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #53
Need my Daily Fix of RS

hey i was the captain on that team before i got traded to the bruins lol

Last edited by rsx10; 11-18-2008 at 09:13 PM.
rsx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
That depends. Are you hitting on me?

Cubz.
How did I guess that...haha.

We're rival teams. And by "rival" I mean....our teams don't play nice. Can you guess which team I'm on?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 11-18-2008, 10:27 PM   #55

RSX!0, this is my first season with them.

Alph. Again my first season, so I assume Killer bunnies. If not then Master bladers is the only other team I can think of.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #56

^I am disappointed with your choices.

Haha, I play on SPH Sharks.
Quote:

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #57
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
^I am disappointed with your choices.

Haha, I play on SPH Sharks.
Nice. Played you guys when I was with Cubz a couple of weeks ago. You guys have a pretty good team. Capitals inspired Jerseys are nice too.

SumAznGuy.

I'm playing you Sunday.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #58
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ watch out for Alpha
he has been suspended for a bench brawl! :P

he was also our primetime sniper during the playoffs this summer

Last edited by shishkabobo; 11-19-2008 at 12:32 PM.
shishkabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #59

^LOLWUT? Who are you?
Quote:

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Nice. Played you guys when I was with Cubz a couple of weeks ago. You guys have a pretty good team. Capitals inspired Jerseys are nice too.

SumAznGuy.

I'm playing you Sunday.
Should I bring chocolate for our first date?

Alph. Sharks hmmmm..... That was a weaksauce game. Boooo!!!!!
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #61
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Regular cut = overall control and speed
Deep cut = more speed but sacrificing control
Shallow cut = more control but sacrificing speed

It's all a preference to the skater.
I think you have it mixed up. A shallower hollow (e.g. 5/8ths, 1") gives you more glide speed at the expense of being able to cut into the ice. Shallower hollows reduce friction thus you go faster. But it will feel like 1-3 skates after a 1/2" sharpen.

A deeper hollow (e.g. 3/8ths, 1/4) will dig in substantially, increasing friction. Most places avoid these hollows since most people don't have the force to use these effectively (i.e. stop without catching too much ice and doing a faceplant). 1/4" is taboo pretty much.

Being a shorter heavier player (5'7 170) I find that 5/8" is my happy place. Otherwise like Mickz noted its all PP.

As for sharpenings, I find Cyclone Coquitlam and THS are just as good. I go to Cyclone because its 2 mins away, but both are excellent.

From what I hear though, Larry's in N Van is the best hands down. This was apparently the case when my dad played 15 years ago, and the majority of people that I play with in league and drop in (~30 people) swear by him and travel across the water to get it done there. Personally I have yet to try it out.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #62
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

5/8ths ftw
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #63
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I think you have it mixed up. A shallower hollow (e.g. 5/8ths, 1") gives you more glide speed at the expense of being able to cut into the ice. Shallower hollows reduce friction thus you go faster. But it will feel like 1-3 skates after a 1/2" sharpen.

A deeper hollow (e.g. 3/8ths, 1/4) will dig in substantially, increasing friction. Most places avoid these hollows since most people don't have the force to use these effectively (i.e. stop without catching too much ice and doing a faceplant). 1/4" is taboo pretty much.

Being a shorter heavier player (5'7 170) I find that 5/8" is my happy place. Otherwise like Mickz noted its all PP.

As for sharpenings, I find Cyclone Coquitlam and THS are just as good. I go to Cyclone because its 2 mins away, but both are excellent.

From what I hear though, Larry's in N Van is the best hands down. This was apparently the case when my dad played 15 years ago, and the majority of people that I play with in league and drop in (~30 people) swear by him and travel across the water to get it done there. Personally I have yet to try it out.
Shit, I had it backwards. Thanks for the correction.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #64
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
wtf, didn't some of you guys joined in on the newbie pickup game on Sat night? LOL.
you guys are pros.

Now tell me how much does it cost to sharpen skates? And when you buy skates from stores, do they come pre-sharpened or do I have to pay extra for that?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
wtf, didn't some of you guys joined in on the newbie pickup game on Sat night? LOL.
you guys are pros.

Now tell me how much does it cost to sharpen skates? And when you buy skates from stores, do they come pre-sharpened or do I have to pay extra for that?
Sharpening is around $5-7 for player skates.
You can always get the pre-paid skate sharpen stamp cars. THS is $15 for 5 sharpens. Or a few other places offer $50 for all you can sharpen for X amount of time.

Brand new skates are not pre-sharpened, but most places will sharpen them for you when you buy it from them.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i have never paid more than $5.50

almost all shops will sharpen the skates as a courtesy when purchased.

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #67
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
you guys are pros.
Sometimes, it's just all about getting as much ice-time as possible. For some people, playing once or twice a week is not enough.

Mind you, Ice604 and most other leagues generally gets a player a game per week. Meaning a general team that has 3 lines of forwards & defense must split 60 minutes of playing time equally. That being said, you're pretty much only playing for 20 minutes per game and if you play only once a week, you're only playing 20 minutes of hockey per week. Definitely not enough for some.

Quote:
All Hockey Shops will sharpen skates upon purchase. The Hockey Shop, Cyclone Taylors, Larry's Sports. Not sure if the same can be said for franchise sports stores like Sport Mart or Sport Check, but as discussed on this thread, you wouldn't want them to be doing it anyways. They'll just fuck up your steel.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #68
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Not sure if the same can be said for franchise sports stores like Sport Mart or Sport Check, but as discussed on this thread, you wouldn't want them to be doing it anyways. They'll just fuck up your steel.
That all depends on who's doing the sharpening. I work for Sport Mart and I have guys who will only come see me for their skates. If I'm not there, they won't let anyone else do it. I won't argue that some technicians just don't care, or don't have the proper training (one tech from the Coquitlam store did every kind of skate with a 1/2" radius!!), but there are those of us out there who do take the time and effort to do it properly, because it reflects on us, not the store!

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

The Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #69
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,062 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hype View Post
That all depends on who's doing the sharpening. I work for Sport Mart and I have guys who will only come see me for their skates. If I'm not there, they won't let anyone else do it. I won't argue that some technicians just don't care, or don't have the proper training (one tech from the Coquitlam store did every kind of skate with a 1/2" radius!!), but there are those of us out there who do take the time and effort to do it properly, because it reflects on us, not the store!
It's nice to see you have pride in your work.

And yes, places like Sport Mart, Sportchek etc. do provide a complimentary sharpening when you buy new skates (cuz I've purchased skates from them before).
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi

Last edited by Gumby; 11-26-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #70
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hype View Post
I won't argue that some technicians just don't care, or don't have the proper training (one tech from the Coquitlam store did every kind of skate with a 1/2" radius!!), but there are those of us out there who do take the time and effort to do it properly, because it reflects on us, not the store!
LOL the guy probably meant hollow, otherwise you'd be skating on the surface thats the equivalent of a quarter .

It's pretty standard though to do 1/2" hollows at most sharpening stores unless you specify a specific one. It's the most neutral one. If you're talking about Cyclones in Coquitlam, I can vouch that they do more than just 1/2".
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #71
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
LOL the guy probably meant hollow, otherwise you'd be skating on the surface thats the equivalent of a quarter .

It's pretty standard though to do 1/2" hollows at most sharpening stores unless you specify a specific one. It's the most neutral one. If you're talking about Cyclones in Coquitlam, I can vouch that they do more than just 1/2".
Hollow, radius, whatever. I wasn't just referring to hockey skates though, the guy would put a 1/2" hollow on hockey skates, figure skates, goalie skates, you name it! Which is retarded because the blades on those skates are thicker, and doesn't exactly serve either discipline very well. And it was Coquitlam Sport Mart, not Cyclone...I'd trust a hockey shop would know what they were doing.

THE ROCK: "What's your favorite donut?"
DETECTIVE #2: "Jelly."
THE ROCK: "Oh, you like jelly. Well, jelly's a good one. The Rock says this; write this down. When you leave here, go down to Dunkin Donuts, get the biggest jelly donut you can find!"
(crowd pops louder)
LAWLER: "Oh, no... this guy's a COP!"
THE ROCK: "Write it down. Hold that jelly donut up, SQUEEZE all the jelly out, squeeze all the-- write it down; you like writing things down-- squeeze all the jelly out, and then-- write this down, you don't want to forget this-- TURN that sumbitch sideways, and stick it STRAIGHT UP your CANDY ASS!"

The Hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #72
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Well I'm probably gonna be purchasing skates today. I'll need them sharpened either today evening or tomorrow, early in the morning so I can stick and puck. The Hype, are you working then? and which one do you work at? Or any places to recommend?

I'm new at ice hockey though, so I'm not sure what you guys mean by bad skate sharpens. I've only used rental skates for most of my life... lol. I'm most likely going to buy skates from sportmart or sportchek, so should I let them sharpen my skate? And if they do a bad sharpen, would it be okay to get them sharpened again by someone better or will sharpening the blades again after it has just been sharpen be bad?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 11-27-2008 at 07:56 AM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #73

Depending on how strong of a skater you are.
As long as they put on some edge, you probably won't notice the difference.
For me, I can tell when they do a shitty job sharpening my skates as it affects turning, and start/stops.

You can always get it resharpened if you are not happy with the initial job, but it just means they might have to grind off some extra metal from the blade to fix the mistake.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 11-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #74
RS controls my life!

I used to work at an independent sports store in Langley. We sharpened skates. Only people I would trust to do it, had been playing hockey since they could walk. Too bad that they were always the busiest people in the store. I never did it. I was trained to do it, but I just didn't have the touch to do it, plus my eyes weren't good enough to properly see the edge of the blade. We didn't use the automated machine, did it by hand. People would come from Vancouver area just for Ryan to sharpen their skates
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #75
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Hockey Shop is great. I go with 5/8" and it's good no matter who sharpens it
babas is offline   Reply With Quote