REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Jury duty (https://www.revscene.net/forums/555203-jury-duty.html)

Blah_Teggie 11-30-2008 12:29 PM

Jury duty

I've been summoned to appear as a juror. I've never done this before so I have some questions for you guys who have been a juror. Can you explain a normal day as a juror? Do you get paid for missing work? Do I have to pack a lunch or do they provide you with lunch? How long was your trial? Did you drive there or take public transit and did you find it hard staying awake at the trial? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanx!

trancehead 11-30-2008 12:33 PM

"i hate all blacks, jews, spics, persians" is your key to getting out of the selection process

Wykydtron 11-30-2008 12:37 PM

Your best bet would be to contact them to find out everything.

rslater 11-30-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancehead (Post 6148824)
"i hate all blacks, jews, spics, persians" is your key to getting out of the selection process

lolercopter...

winson604 11-30-2008 02:48 PM

if you are going on a day where you are working make sure to check with your work to see if you get paid for it. I know my work pays employees if they need to do jury duty. No need taking a day off when you could get paid.

TOPEC 11-30-2008 03:23 PM

how does one get chosen to become a jury?

JDQuikSIR 11-30-2008 03:29 PM

thru licensing office, my bro was also summoned for january....

your work has to pay for your missed days of work, you get something like $50+ a day for 30 days, then $110 a day after 60 days...$13 for food + gas expenses per day,

i think it depends, if the trial goes for a bit....them numbers are not exact, but my bro gave me a little run down...

when you got to court, you will be in a room packed with a bunch of people, and if for some reason you can't do jury duty, you go before the judge and state your reason...

zilla510 11-30-2008 04:46 PM

or you can say you never received the jury letter if they contact you.

JesseBlue 11-30-2008 05:18 PM

theres a lot of idiots thinking that a simple excuse would work...i bet they probably won't even do what they preach...just go and do your best..

Culture_Vulture 11-30-2008 05:28 PM

[youtube]zwZxYvrOd2o[/youtube]

Conan 11-30-2008 05:35 PM

i went through the process of getting the jury duty removed. It was my last semester at school for my undergrad and it would've seriously affected my studies, especially if i was looking to apply for grad school.

So in the envelope that they give you to send back the paper work, i submitted a letter of confirmation at the time from the school i went to indicating that it was indeed my last semester. I also included a letter clearly stating why i wanted to be excused from having to go for jury duty.

got a letter back shortly after saying i was excused.

OffroadZuki 11-30-2008 07:23 PM

"if you are accused of a crime, you have the right to a trial before a jury of people too stupid to get out of jury duty"
- Dave Barry

:D

JHuJHu 11-30-2008 07:47 PM

the trial goes as long as 1 day or even years... you never know based on the topic.

3seriesBeeM 11-30-2008 07:54 PM

the only way out of jury duty is if you 1) you are a student 2) you are 65+ 3) if you are a lawyer 4) not sure but i think if you are a cop. and if you dont go to jury duty when you have been summoned by sherrifs office it is a criminal offence. Ya they give you some money for jury duty and they provide lunch etc.

OffroadZuki 11-30-2008 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffs (Post 6149415)
the trial goes as long as 1 day or even years... you never know based on the topic.

yeah, but they do schedule time slots for them...so you have a GENERAL idea of whether to expect a day or a month...

OffroadZuki 11-30-2008 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3seriesBeeM (Post 6149432)
the only way out of jury duty is if you 1) you are a student 2) you are 65+ 3) if you are a lawyer 4) not sure but i think if you are a cop. and if you dont go to jury duty when you have been summoned by sherrifs office it is a criminal offence. Ya they give you some money for jury duty and they provide lunch etc.

you can also get out of it by being biased...knowing current events helps with that...you just have to say "oh yeah...that guy's totally guilty" during the selection process and you're on your way out haha

yangwenli 11-30-2008 08:13 PM

im going tomorrow, such a pain in the ass

Great68 11-30-2008 08:24 PM

Your work HAS to give you the time off, but they don't have to pay you.

no driver 11-30-2008 08:58 PM

i was summoned twice. wrote a letter that I can't go. not worth it you don't get pay by your boss.

Truenosan 11-30-2008 09:02 PM

From what I've heard, just act very biased.

Harvey Specter 11-30-2008 09:39 PM

My friend was picked for jury duty and picked up a hot juror so it wasn't all that bad for him.

threezero 05-14-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3seriesBeeM (Post 6149432)

i wasn't in vancouver for around a month and the jury summon letter got lost around the house by the housekeeper. i just found it today and see that the date for the summon is june 2. now it saids i must return the form within 10 days of receiving it. would i be too late it i sent the form off on tuesday? what do i get from my school to prove i'm a fulltime student?

now what happen if i just ignore it compeletly? What happens if i was away in hk for longer and didn't even know i'm being summon for jury duty?

sorry to bump up an old thread but i need to know.

murd0c 05-14-2009 05:04 PM

where a support shirt and you won't have to worry about a thing ;)

quasi 05-14-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffroadZuki (Post 6149441)
you can also get out of it by being biased...knowing current events helps with that...you just have to say "oh yeah...that guy's totally guilty" during the selection process and you're on your way out haha

Totally, if you say something like this is great I finally get a chance to put some scumbag in jail during the selection process the defense sure as hell isn't allowing you to take part.

Manic! 05-14-2009 06:52 PM

dress as Princess Leia when you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MrpyHZI1b8