REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #76
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
brokentelephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: van
Posts: 677
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
hopefully i didn't project a notion of self righteousness.
i don't think most people are stupid, as that would be placing myself above others and that's definitely not a healthy deliberation.
to each their own indeed.
Perhaps I misread, I tend to assume the worst from people on RS.
Advertisement
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #77
I am Hook'd on RS
 
t-sang92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 58
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yushimi View Post
Oki, this is just my opinion.

One who buys fake is only for the name brand itself.
One who buys the real deal is usually going for quality.

This is why a lot of people usually buy real Louis Vuitton(just an example) compared to the fake ones. The fake does not have that quality. And yes, it's true, the people with the real deal can usually take a fake from a mile away lolz.

**And no, I would never buy fake. I go for quality and if I got a fake it just ruins everything else I have lolz**
+1
t-sang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #78
My homepage has been set to RS
 
goo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van
Posts: 2,050
Thanked 192 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
you can probably figure out the point that i'm driving at here
however, i realize this is becoming quite the dead horse, so i'll leave with this:
no one is going to know the difference between an extremely well made, unauthentic garment that costs roughly half the price of the authentic one, and the "real" article. it's all in the head of the buyer. you can lie to yourself all you want, but it won't change the truth.
But they know. Maybe these ppl don't care about what others think. Maybe they do it for themselves cuz clothes are important to them. Or maybe they care about both. Yeah, some ppl do it for status alone, but what can you do?

If there was a copy-cat artist of Alicia Keys and no one could tell apart the real from the fake, would I buy the fake for $1? No. This copy-cat didn't make anything.

Quote:
the authentic articles main area of cost is with the advertising, not the actual garment. and is still nowhere near the cost of retail. it is obviously, at least in my mind, reasonable to believe that they could be duplicated to exact specification for half the retail price and still be profitable. some people in this thread act as if these authentic goods are made by gods and not in the sweat shop next door to the one producing the fakes. to be honest, i used to buy into the whole versace, D&G, hugo boss garbage, but now i actually see things for what they are. the world is plagued with so much deceit, and the name brand is probably one of the simplest forms. in closing, i wouldn't be caught dead wearing a fake item, for fear that somebody may mistake it as being real
Like you said earlier, cost is irrelevant to the sale price. I think you understand good quality deserves high margins. What you ignore is originality, style, creativity, and the ability to create a brand that resonates with the market. Maybe you don't value these things but if everyone was just like you, we'd have THE GAP, beige PCs, Britney Spears and that's it. It could be clothes, computers, music, etc. Originality that works has value because it's rare. If it was easy, then first thing tmr morning you should be able to create an expensive brand of whatever and find endless buyers for 100x cost, right?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 AM   #79
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
when you go to these places, all you need is a keen eye. i think that's one of the reasons people buy high end labels. blind faith. they're putting there trust into that label believing that the price is justified by the quality. i'll tell you now, no level quality justifies the prices of the items you see at high end boutiques. just a blatant scam in my eyes
Whoa there! Of course there are going to be diminishing returns, but the high end labels are generally of superior quality to something you'd find at the Gap, Value Village or Winners. People who buy high-end fashion labels do it for the quality, the style, and the fact that they don't want people to think they shop at WalMart for their clothes.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Last edited by Marco911; 01-12-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 AM   #80
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
i meant aside from the obvious BS that enables a company to charge a ridiculous mark up from what the product is actually worth in materials/labor/advertising.
i mean the difference of the actual product
It's the difference between wearing something that is unique and bespoke vs. something that's designed for mass-market consumption. If you want to stand out, buy something unique and dope!
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #81
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
well, you know i try to use my brain as often as
most of the profits are turned over to charities such as canadian diabetes, salvation army, and so on.
Heh, my consumerism helps the starving models!
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #82
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
brokentelephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: van
Posts: 677
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Heh, my consumerism helps the starving models!
Your consumerism justifies my consumerism.
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #83
My homepage has been set to RS
 
welfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: van
Posts: 2,399
Thanked 253 Times in 160 Posts
as i'd stated prior, one of the many reasons i choose to shop at thrift stores is originality. what i can find there are true one of a kind items. though i can't blame you for the preconceived notion that they'd look like something from a wal-mart because i'll be honest, most of the clothes there do. a lot of the times, i won't find anything. it takes patience and a keen eye. i've been on both sides of the spectrum and can honestly say that i don't feel i've sacrificed anything at all .in fact, it's more likely that i've achieved a level of creativity that i probably wouldn't have shopping at high end boutiques. ive found what meets all my needs. if you can say the same, then i'm more than happy for you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie P View Post
I am an atheist still, thank God.
an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

Last edited by welfare; 01-12-2009 at 10:14 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #84
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
nipples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,560
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Whoa there! Of course there are going to be diminishing returns, but the high end labels are generally of superior quality to something you'd find at the Gap, Value Village or Winners. People who buy high-end fashion labels do it for the quality, the style, and the fact that they don't want people to think they shop at WalMart for their clothes.
actually dude, up until a couple years ago when i discovered winners, all my boxers came from the bay. joe boxers were like 30bucks + tax a pair.
along came winners and you know what, they last just as long, and just as comfortable. but for like 9bucks a pair.

Now, I'm no expert on winners - I've seen some fake stuff there i know that. But i'm not sure how they get them to sell at such low prices, but even if my boxers are deemed 'fake', i really wouldnt care. why? well because they last and feel just like the real ones i got from the bay. unless the bay sells fakes too.

-----
To the original topic:

I would buy fakes. But I also buy authentic. I like my expensive watches, I like my suits, dress shirts, and a few of my ties. I also like my fake(?) socks my fake(?) boxers from winners. Jeans that cost me $10 in richmond because a lady didnt know what the usd-cdn conversion rate was =)

I guess the only reasoning I can think of is the following:
If what I'm buying - real or fake - is something that I will go through and ruin and have to replace time and time again, I will buy a fake or whatever. I don't think anyone here with say D&G boxers can tell me they lasted 29years. As such, I would definitely buy a fake belt, or a fake wallet. Mainly because I don't care about those items.


But the main thing is that just because you spent $2000 on a purse or wallet or pen, does not make you any better than anyone else - least of all the person who bought an identical looking bag for $20! Any notions you hold of superiority or exclusivity based on the origin of manufacture of your accessories or clothes are a direct reflection of just how easily your mind is swayed by the marketing department of those goods.

And this talk about investing in clothes -- i mean c'mon, who're you kidding. unless you're elvis, your clothes will not be worth anything like what you paid for it. just take a look at our classifieds.

I find it funny that there are so many people here talking about fake goods like it's the plague! ""never never" "fake is a fake is a fake" "who you tryin to play?" "they're losers" "they're tricksters" like how fake goods are beneath you.
A close buddy of mine... his father is in the manufacturing business. the factory makes items for a variety of brands. high middle and low end. if you want goods for cheap, all u need to do is go there after hours and you'll see worker morale at its highest ever as they turn out products that will be sold on the streets later. what is the real difference between the ones made at 8am, and the ones made at 3am? oh about 80% of the selling price.
Anyone who says that the differences are easily discernible, is full of crap!! they're made with the same materials, in the same place, by the same workers, using the same blueprints.

Obviously though, this isnt the same for many items. But it is true of a substantial amount of the so called fake products out there.

Oh, btw...with what a previous poster wrote about the man making the clothes, and the person who said about the person of a certain status being able to afford the real would be the best candidate to pull off wearing a fake: my friends dad does that. super rich. wears a $90hkd knockoff. i asked why, and he said "because i can".

Also, I've got 2 identical watches...one real, one fake. no one has ever been able to tell when i'm wearing which. And if you wonder the reason for the fake, my original plan was to take the original to a pawn shop and see if my slight of hand can switch it. i've since given up hahaha
__________________
~goodnight fat sig.

Last edited by nipples; 01-12-2009 at 09:29 PM.
nipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #85
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
as i'd stated prior, one of the many reasons i choose to shop at thrift stores is originality. what i can find there are true one of a kind items. though i can't blame you for the preconceived notion that they'd look like something from a wal-mart because i'll be honest, most of the clothes there do. a lot of the times, i won't find anything. it takes patience and a keen eye. i've been on both sides of the spectrum and can honestly say that i don't feel i've sacrificed anything at all .in fact, it's more likely that i've achieved a level of creativity that i probably wouldn't have shopping at high end boutiques. ive found what meets all my needs. if you can say the same, then i'm more than happy for you.
1) You've sacrificed your time.
2) You can only go so long playing off the "vintage" look
3) Look around at who else shops at thrift stores...how much of your lifestyle overlaps with theirs?
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Last edited by Marco911; 01-12-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #86
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
actually dude, up until a couple years ago when i discovered winners, all my boxers came from the bay. joe boxers were like 30bucks + tax a pair.
along came winners and you know what, they last just as long, and just as comfortable. but for like 9bucks a pair.

Now, I'm no expert on winners - I've seen some fake stuff there i know that. But i'm not sure how they get them to sell at such low prices, but even if my boxers are deemed 'fake', i really wouldnt care. why? well because they last and feel just like the real ones i got from the bay. unless the bay sells fakes too.
That's because Joe Boxers aren't quality underwear to begin with. There is true "luxury" and then luxury marketing b.s. Many American luxury companies are about marketing B.S. (ie Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, A/X, ANF) because many North Americans aren't sophisticated consumers and just look at brand appeal. Most of these clothing items have the brands prominently displayed on the clothing because they know their target market buys these clothes to show-off to others so they cheap out and make these clothes in third world countries, while pocketing high margins. Look at your closet of supposed luxury clothes and tell me how many are made in Europe or the U.S.? If it isn't made in a first world country, it's as good as a fake. I can tell you that 90% of my wardrobe is not made in 3rd world countries, and I buy my underwear from a small Swiss label (Zimmerli) that still manufactures in Switzerland using Swiss cotton. The quality is far, far superior to anything you can find at The Bay.

The real luxury items don't have the brand plastered anywhere on the outside of the garment, but you can tell by the cut, the quality of the materials used and the country of origin (Europe). From the way you describe yourself, it is apparent that you are putting money into things that are apparent to others, while skimping on the things that are hidden from view (underwear, wallet, socks), so I wouldn't describe you as a true luxury shopper. I like beautiful things and I buy them for its appeal to me. As an ancillary benefit, most people know I have great taste.


Quote:
I guess the only reasoning I can think of is the following:
If what I'm buying - real or fake - is something that I will go through and ruin and have to replace time and time again, I will buy a fake or whatever. I don't think anyone here with say D&G boxers can tell me they lasted 29years. As such, I would definitely buy a fake belt, or a fake wallet. Mainly because I don't care about those items.
It's not just about how long they last, but the comfort, style and luxury these items bring you.

Quote:
But the main thing is that just because you spent $2000 on a purse or wallet or pen, does not make you any better than anyone else - least of all the person who bought an identical looking bag for $20! Any notions you hold of superiority or exclusivity based on the origin of manufacture of your accessories or clothes are a direct reflection of just how easily your mind is swayed by the marketing department of those goods.
That's like saying just because you went to Harvard doesn't make you smarter than anyone else. It might not be true in every case, but generally it is true. You either opt in to play "the game" of cosumerism or you opt out. If you purchase aspirational luxury items like a nice watch, or a Lacoste top or whatever, you are opting into this game. Yes, that guy that buys the $2000 wallet is better than you (exceptions being people who spend a lot of money on clothes but have no taste i.e. mainland chinese)

My older brother is totally the opposite of me and completely opts out of the game. He's probably worth a couple of million $ but he does not care about luxury items whatsoever. He drives a Jetta Diesel and buys items for function rather than style. Since he has opted out of the game, then no, I cannot say I am better than him.

Quote:
A close buddy of mine... his father is in the manufacturing business. the factory makes items for a variety of brands. high middle and low end. if you want goods for cheap, all u need to do is go there after hours and you'll see worker morale at its highest ever as they turn out products that will be sold on the streets later. what is the real difference between the ones made at 8am, and the ones made at 3am? oh about 80% of the selling price.
Anyone who says that the differences are easily discernible, is full of crap!! they're made with the same materials, in the same place, by the same workers, using the same blueprints.
This is a myth and is not how manufacturing businesses operate. As a contract manufacturer, the factory that makes polo tops for Polo Ralph Lauren charges the same if not less than if I approached the factory to make polo shirts for Marco911.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Last edited by Marco911; 01-12-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #87
My homepage has been set to RS
 
welfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: van
Posts: 2,399
Thanked 253 Times in 160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
1) You've sacrificed your time.
2) You can only go so long playing off the "vintage" look
3) Look around at who else shops at thrift stores...how much of your lifestyle overlaps with theirs?
1. patience is a virtue, marco. with rewards far surpassing any material object. all time is sacrificed
2. i wouldn't say vintage, so to speak. but classics never die
3. that is completely irrelevant to me.
i appreciate that you've chimed into this thread, marco. as i do value your knowledge on the subject
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie P View Post
I am an atheist still, thank God.
an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

Last edited by welfare; 01-13-2009 at 05:35 AM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #88
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
brokentelephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: van
Posts: 677
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
1. patience is a virtue, marco. with rewards far surpassing any material object. all time is sacrificed
2. i wouldn't say vintage, so to speak. but classics never die
3. that is completely irrelevant to me.
i appreciate that you've chimed into this thread, marco. as i do value your knowledge on the subject
I'm not sure if you're fucking with everyone here because a lot of your other posts don't speak so much of your 'enlightened' persona.

Used clothing is disgusting unless it was worn by wealthy celebrities and purchased at auction. My dead-beat highschool friends buy ugly 'ironic' sweaters and look like absolute ponces.
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #89
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
nipples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,560
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
That's because Joe Boxers aren't quality underwear to begin with.

The real luxury items don't have the brand plastered anywhere on the outside of the garment, but you can tell by the cut, the quality of the materials used and the country of origin (Europe). From the way you describe yourself, it is apparent that you are putting money into things that are apparent to others, while skimping on the things that are hidden from view (underwear, wallet, socks), so I wouldn't describe you as a true luxury shopper. I like beautiful things and I buy them for its appeal to me. As an ancillary benefit, most people know I have great taste.
you might be right, but i would not consider any underwear or socks etc to ever fall into the realm of luxury items. i mean, i take off my shoes and enter a restaurant and i can basically make my own appetizer from the bits n pieces on the bottom of my socks from other diners. They're basically disposable good.
Same for a wallet. I almost never use a wallet and so I could never justify spending even $10 on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
That's like saying just because you went to Harvard doesn't make you smarter than anyone else. It might not be true in every case, but generally it is true. You either opt in to play "the game" of cosumerism or you opt out. If you purchase aspirational luxury items like a nice watch, or a Lacoste top or whatever, you are opting into this game. Yes, that guy that buys the $2000 wallet is better than you (exceptions being people who spend a lot of money on clothes but have no taste i.e. mainland chinese)

My older brother is totally the opposite of me and completely opts out of the game. He's probably worth a couple of million $ but he does not care about luxury items whatsoever. He drives a Jetta Diesel and buys items for function rather than style. Since he has opted out of the game, then no, I cannot say I am better than him.
I disagree. You make it sound like any singular purchase of an item that so much as borders luxury - whether by material, origin of manufacture, or brand (lacoste) - would necessitate similar purchases in every domain; and failure to do so results a lowering of score on some arbitrary scoreboard. Buying a montblanc starwalker simply because of i think the floating star is pretty cool does not mean that I will go out and buy silk or kevlar overalls for when i crawl under my car.
Spending money on nice bath towels because i'll be wrapping it around me does not mean I will buy the same quality of towels to do dishes with - one will last me at least a year, the other will last me maybe a 2weeks!

So I completely disagree that purchasing one luxury or near-luxury artifact demands that I maintain that line of purchasing.

And this whole ''someone else being better than you, you being better than your brother'' i think it's a crock! "James is better than me because he has a wallet, but Ernie's watch and shoes combined are worth more than Jame's car, but Helen's purse costs more than all of our houses combined." I mean, is your value and worth, everything that is you, summed up in the msrp and brand and place of manufacture of your swiss underwear + your wardrobe? Some guy in the states probably paid more for his freshman year of university than my entire undergrad here in canada. does that make him smarter than me too? even if we studied the same major? Is he better than me because he paid more?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
This is a myth and is not how manufacturing businesses operate. As a contract manufacturer, the factory that makes polo tops for Polo Ralph Lauren charges the same if not less than if I approached the factory to make polo shirts for Marco911.
I'm sorry. I dont think i was clear about it in my last post. What I meant was that the workers don't approach my friends dad and ask if they can make their own clothes with their names on em. They go in after hours. There is no contract. There is no price. It's basically stealing electricity, and materials and increasing wear and use of machinery. None of which they pay for.
__________________
~goodnight fat sig.
nipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GVA
Posts: 143
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
It's the difference between wearing something that is unique and bespoke vs. something that's designed for mass-market consumption. If you want to stand out, buy something unique and dope!
something that is unique in richmond/vancouver, i can safely say, will NOT be LV, Gucci, Coach, Burberry bags.

sheesh for pete's sake every female from ages 16 to 92 carries one around.
and every in every 3 guys one guy uses a LV/Gucci/Coach/Diesel/Prada/whatever-crap wallet.
yiujun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #91
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
brokentelephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: van
Posts: 677
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post


I'm sorry. I dont think i was clear about it in my last post. What I meant was that the workers don't approach my friends dad and ask if they can make their own clothes with their names on em. They go in after hours. There is no contract. There is no price. It's basically stealing electricity, and materials and increasing wear and use of machinery. None of which they pay for.

Unless your friend's father is an absolute idiot there is no reason why he should be getting ripped off. Factories have electricity locks, guards, alarms, and DOORS which stop employees from gallivanting in the night. And 'being in China' is no excuse!
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #92
Retired moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Online
Posts: 4,438
Thanked 139 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
That's because Joe Boxers aren't quality underwear to begin with. There is true "luxury" and then luxury marketing b.s. Many American luxury companies are about marketing B.S. (ie Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, A/X, ANF) because many North Americans aren't sophisticated consumers and just look at brand appeal. Most of these clothing items have the brands prominently displayed on the clothing because they know their target market buys these clothes to show-off to others so they cheap out and make these clothes in third world countries, while pocketing high margins. Look at your closet of supposed luxury clothes and tell me how many are made in Europe or the U.S.? If it isn't made in a first world country, it's as good as a fake. I can tell you that 90% of my wardrobe is not made in 3rd world countries, and I buy my underwear from a small Swiss label (Zimmerli) that still manufactures in Switzerland using Swiss cotton. The quality is far, far superior to anything you can find at The Bay.

The real luxury items don't have the brand plastered anywhere on the outside of the garment, but you can tell by the cut, the quality of the materials used and the country of origin (Europe). From the way you describe yourself, it is apparent that you are putting money into things that are apparent to others, while skimping on the things that are hidden from view (underwear, wallet, socks), so I wouldn't describe you as a true luxury shopper. I like beautiful things and I buy them for its appeal to me. As an ancillary benefit, most people know I have great taste.
I'm going to have to agree with that. Real luxury items is about the the quality and craftsmanship. Take this ugly Prada lacey purse that I just saw for up to $2000USD, it's tiny, it looks like my Great Great Grandmother's tea doily. Apparently swiss, handmade (all 500+ stitches) and takes 1 person 2 days to make. Okay so it's a bit over the top but the reasons are there and if people want to spend that much money on an ugly bag than kudos for them. But my point was that Real luxury items aren't suppose to be flaunted, they're suppose to be worn. All the actual socialites that I know aren't decked out in purses with huge LV monograms, they're wearing smart clothes fit for their cut and probably costs more than your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
you might be right, but i would not consider any underwear or socks etc to ever fall into the realm of luxury items.
Are you kidding me? Okay maybe because you're a guy, so I'll let that pass. As a woman, I thrive in finding quality undergarmets. This might not apply to every woman, but I mean I need support for my babies and it's more so feeling comfortable in them. And most of the time the perfect bras for me are usually "luxury" brands in the bra world and I've easily forked out $1500+HKD for a bra.

As for socks and underwear, good quality is the way to go. Socks, you're on your feet everyday and the only barrier between your shoes and your feet. I recently went shoe shopping with a friend and the store lent him shitty socks that made his feet hurt. Luckily he still bought the shoes because when he got home, the shoes felt amazing on his feet...still I think. And underwear is the closest thing to your privates, it holds your balls in place, it acts as the drip pan to your bodily excretions/discharges. Don't you think they should at least be breathable, comfortable and won't chafe your ass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiujun View Post
something that is unique in richmond/vancouver, i can safely say, will NOT be LV, Gucci, Coach, Burberry bags.

sheesh for pete's sake every female from ages 16 to 92 carries one around.
and every in every 3 guys one guy uses a LV/Gucci/Coach/Diesel/Prada/whatever-crap wallet.
It's because Vancouver doesn't have a fashion scene at all. People will follow the leader when it comes to styles. Want to see Vancouver fashion trends? Go to Aritzia and Boyzco. You try on styles in Europe and/or Asia here and they'll call you eccentric. Fuck, it doesn't even have to be a luxury brand, it could be a $200pound boots I'm wearing from Top Shop and people will still scrutinize. The only luxury brands Vancouverites have heard of are the usual Gucci, Coach, LV, Burberry. If I ever mention Bottegga Veneta, Sergio Rossi, Balenciaga, Diane von Fürstenberg, YSL, or even Celine, people will look at me funny.

<breathe>
/rant
__________________
I.... think I'm a girl...? :eek:


girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません

Last edited by Girl; 01-15-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #93
My homepage has been set to RS
 
goo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van
Posts: 2,050
Thanked 192 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokentelephone View Post
Unless your friend's father is an absolute idiot there is no reason why he should be getting ripped off. Factories have electricity locks, guards, alarms, and DOORS which stop employees from gallivanting in the night. And 'being in China' is no excuse!
i think he means they go make an extra batch since they have access to the manufacturing line.. these end up in the street sold for a slight profit but way below MSRP in the west.

it's like McD workers making a couple extra burgers at the end of the night and selling them to their friends for 1/3 price. Quirks of the job.

It's not just name brand clothes in China, it can be golf clubs.. whatever.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #94
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
i think he means they go make an extra batch since they have access to the manufacturing line.. these end up in the street sold for a slight profit but way below MSRP in the west.

it's like McD workers making a couple extra burgers at the end of the night and selling them to their friends for 1/3 price. Quirks of the job.

It's not just name brand clothes in China, it can be golf clubs.. whatever.
This is such a myth perpetuate by those who subscribe to the fairy tale that "fake" goods can be the same as the original except they are snuck out the factory's back door.

Working on a garment or factory assembly line is not the same thing as working at McDonalds. For one thing, to perpetuate a fraud against the owners of the factory, there has to be some level of organization that gets all the workers from the material handlers, warehouse, security to the line workers to agree to defraud the company. Next, material has to actually disappear without raising any concerns with the accountants. Then the product has to be sold and some way of distributing the proceeds to the workers. It just cannot be done without formal organization.

The only legitimate alternative distribution method for real luxury goods is in the secondary market. These are either from excess inventory after the season ends, or batches that have been rejected for quality reasons. These are usually sold in places like TJ MAXX, or factory outlets.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #95
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
1. patience is a virtue, marco. with rewards far surpassing any material object. all time is sacrificed
2. i wouldn't say vintage, so to speak. but classics never die
3. that is completely irrelevant to me.
i appreciate that you've chimed into this thread, marco. as i do value your knowledge on the subject
You either like fashion or you don't. It is absolutely fine to shop at Value Village or a thrift store for your clothes if you don't really care about what you wear. But those of us who do, can pretty much eye up what someone is wearing and the origins/price-points of those clothes and accessories.
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #96
My homepage has been set to RS
 
goo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van
Posts: 2,050
Thanked 192 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Working on a garment or factory assembly line is not the same thing as working at McDonalds. For one thing, to perpetuate a fraud against the owners of the factory, there has to be some level of organization that gets all the workers from the material handlers, warehouse, security to the line workers to agree to defraud the company. Next, material has to actually disappear without raising any concerns with the accountants. Then the product has to be sold and some way of distributing the proceeds to the workers. It just cannot be done without formal organization.
Formal organization still doesn't sound like too much of a roadblock if you're familiar with the Chinese mentality when dealing with piracy and fraud.

But my sources are second-hand, albeit from the ground, so I'll leave it to you or those with direct inside info to figure out the legitimacy of those layers of controls in the Chinese manufacturing biz.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #97
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO
 
Marco911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: US Bush-country
Posts: 7,738
Thanked 822 Times in 284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
you might be right, but i would not consider any underwear or socks etc to ever fall into the realm of luxury items. i mean, i take off my shoes and enter a restaurant and i can basically make my own appetizer from the bits n pieces on the bottom of my socks from other diners. They're basically disposable good.
Same for a wallet. I almost never use a wallet and so I could never justify spending even $10 on one.
That is absolutely not true. Anything that is worn close to the skin can benefit from luxury. Feel the difference in a soft cashmere vs. crappy heavy knit wools that itch. http://www.customshirt1.com/ is a whole site dedicated to quality underwear and socks. I swear by the Zimmerli Royal Classic line. Once you wear it, you can't go back to regular underwear!

As for having a great wallet, it's one of the few accessories that men can legitimately carry and you can almost get a high from the fine leather scent just like you would smelling a the scent of leather in a new Ferrari or Porsche!

Quote:
I disagree. You make it sound like any singular purchase of an item that so much as borders luxury - whether by material, origin of manufacture, or brand (lacoste) - would necessitate similar purchases in every domain; and failure to do so results a lowering of score on some arbitrary scoreboard.
All purchase decisions are a result of economic tradeoffs. The mere fact of being able to afford luxuries in every domain of one's lifestyle suggests that you have more money than you know what to do with which requires a certain level of wealth/income. Consuming is good for the economy; saving money is good for the economy. Therefore, since wealthy people contribute more to the economy, they should be afforded some leeway in their assholish behavior and possibly even looked up to.

Quote:
Buying a montblanc starwalker simply because of i think the floating star is pretty cool does not mean that I will go out and buy silk or kevlar overalls for when i crawl under my car.
That's what mechanics at service centers are for.

Quote:
I mean, is your value and worth, everything that is you, summed up in the msrp and brand and place of manufacture of your swiss underwear + your wardrobe?
Well nobody gets to enjoy my underwear except me, so I'd say I do it for myself and not for others.

Quote:
Some guy in the states probably paid more for his freshman year of university than my entire undergrad here in canada. does that make him smarter than me too? even if we studied the same major? Is he better than me because he paid more?
If he went to an Ivy League, yes, he is regarded as having a better education than you. Just because you didn't pay as much doesn't mean that society didn't pay to put your ass through school in Canada. So get out there, make a lot of money, do with it what you may - save or spend, it doesn't matter, and contribute to society!
__________________
Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.

Last edited by Marco911; 01-15-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #98
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
AppleSugary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: EastVAN
Posts: 689
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ever since I was a kid, I have always been obssessed by Mademoiselle Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel. Her wit, lifestyle, elegance, sophistication and classiness biography always amazes me.

I never had any of her stuffs until I could finally afford it. I refused to buy any fake stuffs of Chanel coz what's the purpose of having it if i cannot afford it.

And while I think the price for Chanels are ridiculous, I would never even buy a fake item from it. Someone told me, "Why should you buy the real ones if the fake ones look identical?"

I said...No they do not!

I guess you can say, I dont mind spending my money on Chanel's stuffs because I am paying her name with respect. It is more like obsession than anything else.

Besides, Chanel is an investment not like other designer stuffs like Gucci, Coach, Prada, etcetera. And, I am also planning to pass my Chanel collection to my daughters.

Right now, I am trying to save money for her 2009 sunglasses collection.

"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous"

"THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE AND THE 2ND BEST ARE EXPENSIVE!"

---> 2 quotes from Coco Chanel
AppleSugary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 AM   #99
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
brokentelephone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: van
Posts: 677
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSugary View Post
Ever since I was a kid, I have always been obssessed by Mademoiselle Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel. Her wit, lifestyle, elegance, sophistication and classiness biography always amazes me.

I never had any of her stuffs until I could finally afford it. I refused to buy any fake stuffs of Chanel coz what's the purpose of having it if i cannot afford it.

And while I think the price for Chanels are ridiculous, I would never even buy a fake item from it. Someone told me, "Why should you buy the real ones if the fake ones look identical?"

I said...No they do not!

I guess you can say, I dont mind spending my money on Chanel's stuffs because I am paying her name with respect. It is more like obsession than anything else.

Besides, Chanel is an investment not like other designer stuffs like Gucci, Coach, Prada, etcetera. And, I am also planning to pass my Chanel collection to my daughters.

Right now, I am trying to save money for her 2009 sunglasses collection.

"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous"

"THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE AND THE 2ND BEST ARE EXPENSIVE!"

---> 2 quotes from Coco Chanel
Coco Chanel is totally fascinating.

I love this quote -- "I invented my life by taking for granted that everything I did not like would have an opposite, which I would like.
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM   #100
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
ab-norma-l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 2,794
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
no no no no no

It is illegal. Plus, it promotes child labor, cheap labor, sweat shops, etc. etc.
ab-norma-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net