REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Going crazy= need a modern competent tailor (https://www.revscene.net/forums/555368-going-crazy%3D-need-modern-competent-tailor.html)

Powerslide 12-01-2008 03:48 PM

Going crazy= need a modern competent tailor

I've been looking all over the city to find a competent tailor who is willing to tailor clothing to more stylish/slim cuts.

I get almost all my tailoring done at Modernize. Technically, they are amazing and have an excellent eye. However, when it comes to contemporary styles (slim fitting suits, shirts, etc) they are just too old fashioned, and cant/wont do the alterations I want.

So my question is, who can you recommend? I've got suits and shirts to alter

frost91 12-02-2008 05:00 PM

bcrdukes recommended alberts tailor on robson and i think hes pretty damn good

i didn't think he would be but he did a pretty damn good job

Alphamale 12-02-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frost91 (Post 6152862)
bcrdukes recommended alberts tailor on robson and i think hes pretty damn good

i didn't think he would be but he did a pretty damn good job

Bcrdukes is my favorite, too.

I *heart* Bcrdukes.

dave123 12-02-2008 06:10 PM

check out kerrisdale custom tailors

41st and arbutus (across from mcdicks)

Jassanova 12-02-2008 07:56 PM

I've recommended them here before, Oakridge Tailors on Cambie and like 39th. They do all the Harry Rosen / Hugo Boss suits from Oakridge.

I've used them for all my designer suits and they've always done a great job, even when I've asked them to take pants in to make them slimmer.

Eff-1 12-02-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerslide (Post 6150707)
I've been looking all over the city to find a competent tailor who is willing to tailor clothing to more stylish/slim cuts.

I get almost all my tailoring done at Modernize. Technically, they are amazing and have an excellent eye. However, when it comes to contemporary styles (slim fitting suits, shirts, etc) they are just too old fashioned, and cant/wont do the alterations I want.

So my question is, who can you recommend? I've got suits and shirts to alter

I go there as well. Bring them a picture. They will work accordingly. Without a picture, it's tough I admit.

BadAssDawg 12-09-2008 07:25 PM

Anybody recommend a bespoke tailor?

Powerslide 12-31-2008 01:31 AM

thank you for the recommendations everyone

Powerslide 01-02-2009 01:59 PM

here you go everyone, grabbed from another forum:

I hope you get several replies to this as there are a number of Vancouverites on this forum. I've looked around over the years and have found several that I've used. Here they are:

1. Oakridge Tailors. On Cambie (behind all the rubble in the wake of the work there) between 39th and 40th. I used Chuck Lee there for quite a while, but he retired a couple of years ago, and his business was bought by a young Asian couple. The tailor is a young Asian woman (Joy) trained in Paris over a period of 5 years. She's pretty good, but I haven't thrown anything really difficult at her yet. Obviously can do trouser alterations, cuffing, some suit/jacket work. She does do MTM tailoring, but I haven't had her do any for me. I did have her alter a raincoat and a sports jacket, taking the latter in somewhat, shortening sleeves, and adding working buttonholes.
2. European Custom Tailors. On Thurlow just south of Robson. For many years, Tony Arletto (classically trained in Italy) has done tailoring from this business (his business) and has now gone into semi-retirement, bringing in another Tony (Tony Tran, much younger and trained in Viet Nam, I think) to help out. I've had a lot done by Tony Arletto, and recommend him for even the challenging stuff. He does MTM (maybe bespoke) suits, jackets, and trousers, and I've had him do the tough stuff like shoulder reductions on Kiton and Brioni jackets, where the sleeves had to come off. I've had Tony Tran do the easier stuff like cuffing and altering trouser waists, etc., but would insist on the older Tony for anything really challenging.
3. Minichiello's. North Van on Esplanade about a block west of Lonsdale. This is where I have most of my tailoring done, including all my MTM shirts and trousers. The key person to contact about all work is Julie Minichiello, who is very knowledgeable and whose father started the business many decades ago. The tailor there is Frank Fuscaldo, another classically-trained Italian tailor (in his 50s but younger than Tony Arletto). Frank, although dogmatic as hell at times, is very good, and, in addition to excellent proficiency and expertise, he has a nice appreciation for line and form. He does MTM (and possibly bespoke) suits, jackets, and trousers, although a lot of the mundane stitching, etc., is done by others. Minichiello's have pretty much become my go-to tailors these last several years. For shirtmaking, they're the best I've come across in Vancouver.
4. Chevalier Creations. In business for decades on Seymour, then into a sabbatical, and relocated last year on Georgia, near the Bay. I've had Gabrielle, the owner and tailor, do some alterations on a couple of overcoats and make me a shirt. He's OK, actually fine, but his prices are a little on the high side. This led me to Minichiello's, where the same quality costs a little less. Gabrielle is competent, though, and would be fine.
5. Kerrisdale Custom Tailors. 41st Ave. just east of East Blvd. This used to be a good tailoring establishment when it was Peter's of Kerrisdale, but isn't so great anymore now that younger family members have taken over. I'll take some simple cuffing or shirtsleeve-shortening work to them from time to time.

Other places I've checked out but not used:

Angelo's on Commercial Drive around 5th, I seem to recall. Angelo Papa works out of a hole in the wall, and his prices are very low. However, I just couldn't get too excited about his work and never had him make me anything.
Madison Lee Menswear--Bentall Centre on Burrard and Pender. The guy to talk to is Barron Lee, a longtime fixture on the Vancouver menswear scene (he ushered in to Vancouver the drape-cut suits of Lou Myles way back in the 60s and 70s, and sold circa 1960 Ivy League gear at UBC; talk about opposites!) and a helluva nice guy. Barron will get you a MTM Belvest suit or jacket, and will have shirtmaking, etc., done for you. I don't know why I haven't used him, but there it is.
Dunn's Tailors on Pender at about Seymour or Richards, I think. Middle-of-the-line clothing (Ike Behar, et al.) and truly mediocre tailoring. Years ago, I took a Kiton jacket in for a little minor alteration, and the owner suggested that I not use his tailor as the jacket was too good for this guy, and he'd probably screw it up.
Domenico Tozzi. North Van on Lonsdale. Probably my worst experience with a tailor, and I didn't even have him do anything. A couple of years ago, I had heard, from the manager at Dunn's tailors and Harry Rosen, about this mysterious classically-trained Italian tailor in North Van who was a sartorial genius--a guru and seer, student, teacher, and innovator of the Italian style, and phenomenally talented creator of fabulous suits. Of course, I had to look him up. I therefore struck out on the long journey to North Van armed with a Kiton blazer that I thought could use a touch of alteration. Tozzi, a septuagenarian contrarian greeted me with the news that my Kiton blazer was fused. I politely asked him whether he was familiar with the Kiton line of clothing, and he brusquely informed that he most certainly was, and that their jackets were all cheap and fused--unlike those he made, which were canvased. I proceeded to apply the pinch test in front of him, proclaiming that I was sure I could detect canvas in there, but he was having none of it. He then informed me that the fit was awful, owing largely to the open quarters of the blazer. When I politely suggested that this was inherent in the design, he informed that it was nothing of the sort, but rather just bad tailoring--unlike his jackets that all had closed quarters. He had a couple of suits on mannequins, which I inspected and found to be truly horrible. I left, never to return.

Edit. As I think of things to add, it occurs to me that I should probably note that, in my experience, there are no truly great tailors in Vancouver. I doubt that there is a single true bespoke tailor here, although they all talk of their work in terms that would suggest that they are. They are MTM tailors, some better than others, but not one in the class of a Despos, Shattuck, or Logsdale. I continually find this surprising for a cosmopolitan city of well over 2 million souls. Perhaps it's all part of the same phenomenon that also finds us bereft of any good-quality British shoes or Italian shoes of better quality than Prada, Gucci, Zegna, and Canali. What will the world think when they descend on Vancouver for the 2010 Olympics?

RacePace 01-02-2009 02:10 PM

so which one are you planning to go to?

Powerslide 01-02-2009 02:33 PM

heading to Oakridge in about 20 mins

bcrdukes 01-02-2009 04:56 PM

Just my opinion here but I find that the people of Vancouver have no desire nor care enough to support a good bespoke/MTM tailor here.

We all dress too casually. Where in this city can you find an establishment that requires a proper dress code at least for men, a sport jacket, dress pants and shoes? I went for a NYE dinner at Kettle of Fish and beside my table were a group of Yahooligans dressed as if they were in a rap video. WTF is that? But hey, it's okay because we're West Coast and we're chill here. Yeah. Okay. Go to Toronto, Los Angeles, or any major global city and try to pull that off. I think not.

Nobody here is educated enough to dress properly and knows how to dress right. I'm not going to brag here but I'm just going to say it how I see it. I bought an off-the-rack Paul Smith Byard 2-piece suit at Holt Renfrew in time for my cousin's wedding in Los Angeles. Showed up thinking, "Man, I'm going to look like a fool!" I was wrong. Turns out I stole all the glory from the groom himself and the rest of the wedding party. When you know how to dress properly or if you put enough time and effort into dressing up, all the little bit of detail and effort will not go unnoticed. Unfortunately, people here don't care enough hence why there aren't many good to mind-blowing tailors in this city. They've packed up shop and left or there were none to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.

RacePace 01-02-2009 06:26 PM

^definately, but that's just how Vancouver is, and I don't think it'll change anytime soon

Powerslide 01-02-2009 06:59 PM

update - dealing with Oakridge tailors was fantastic. Theyre doing some work for me over the next 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Farfetched 01-02-2009 08:16 PM

was it joy that helped you or the guy there? i think his name is william

4444 01-03-2009 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerslide (Post 6202971)
update - dealing with Oakridge tailors was fantastic. Theyre doing some work for me over the next 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it turns out.

what were their prices? i have to get my hugo suits adjusted in the seat of the pants, wanting to know how much they were charging for that (expecting in the $30-40 range)

is a hemming about $10 or so, seems common prices for vancouver

CanadaGoose 01-03-2009 01:53 AM

Can anyone recommend one in Calgary?

Powerslides post (#9) is pure gold, I wish I could find something like that for here too

brokentelephone 01-04-2009 01:57 PM

Move to London -- there are amazing tailors all around!

Tapioca 01-04-2009 10:26 PM

Albert on Robson is the best value in the city. He's fast and he can do pretty much anything.

Of course, all of us dream of getting a bespoke suit from one of the wizards on Saville Row.

BluE46 01-08-2009 08:21 PM

On another note, does anyone know which tailor can make a decent button hole for surgeon's cuff's (working cuffs)?

Sorry, I have to correct you ^, its Savile Row!

Jassanova 01-09-2009 06:29 PM

Powerslide: Glad Oakridge Tailors worked for you! They're really nice people who do really competent work imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 6203358)
what were their prices? i have to get my hugo suits adjusted in the seat of the pants, wanting to know how much they were charging for that (expecting in the $30-40 range)

is a hemming about $10 or so, seems common prices for vancouver

Their prices are definitely reasonable, I can't remember exactly how much I paid last time, but for 2 suits hemming + taking in the legs in one of the suits it was it was $35-45.

hal0g0dv2 01-09-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6202814)
Just my opinion here but I find that the people of Vancouver have no desire nor care enough to support a good bespoke/MTM tailor here.

We all dress too casually. Where in this city can you find an establishment that requires a proper dress code at least for men, a sport jacket, dress pants and shoes? I went for a NYE dinner at Kettle of Fish and beside my table were a group of Yahooligans dressed as if they were in a rap video. WTF is that? But hey, it's okay because we're West Coast and we're chill here. Yeah. Okay. Go to Toronto, Los Angeles, or any major global city and try to pull that off. I think not.

Nobody here is educated enough to dress properly and knows how to dress right. I'm not going to brag here but I'm just going to say it how I see it. I bought an off-the-rack Paul Smith Byard 2-piece suit at Holt Renfrew in time for my cousin's wedding in Los Angeles. Showed up thinking, "Man, I'm going to look like a fool!" I was wrong. Turns out I stole all the glory from the groom himself and the rest of the wedding party. When you know how to dress properly or if you put enough time and effort into dressing up, all the little bit of detail and effort will not go unnoticed. Unfortunately, people here don't care enough hence why there aren't many good to mind-blowing tailors in this city. They've packed up shop and left or there were none to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.

go to Paris or anywhere upscale with clothing, u will find people that can dress a+, u are never going to find that in Canada, 98% of the population was brought up by what you see on tv and other shit,

RacePace 01-12-2009 09:35 AM

Went into Oakridge tailors to slim down 3 Brooks Brothers shirts on Saturday, pick them up this Saturday so we'll see how they do.

brokentelephone 01-12-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluE46 (Post 6213625)
On another note, does anyone know which tailor can make a decent button hole for surgeon's cuff's (working cuffs)?

Sorry, I have to correct you ^, its Savile Row!

You don't have to correct shit. I live in London, and there are great tailors all around. The best are on Saville Row, but those fuckers won't be adjusting your pants anytime soon -- they are bespoke only.

RacePace 01-12-2009 01:45 PM

Well I'm sure doing bespoke suits takes so much of their time that they don't have time for mickey mouse jobs. Unlike Vancouver where our tailors probably get a job for a bespoke suit once every so often