REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #26
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quick FYI, you're looking for <$5k, not >$5k.
Advertisement
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #27
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
I got a 92 pathfinder off craiglist for $2200 last summer...not regretting it

throw on some bikes and head to whistler in the summer
throw on boards and head to whister in the winter

does great in the snow and there are plenty of parts for cheap at the wrecker should you need it
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #28
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
That's a nice Subaru deck in the Land Rover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:05 PM   #29
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Great. Thanks to this thread and 1983z28's constant talk, I'm back to looking for a Land Rover/Range Rover for my trips up to the Interior during the winter (and off-roading) seasons.

Thanks guys.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #30

I've been looking for an SUV as well. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Just curious, how is a 4runner? Looking at a 97 with a V6.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #31
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i love my jeep but i am sell it too if you want to look at it

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Grand Limited

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/967427314.html

Last edited by jeepwreck; 12-25-2008 at 08:48 PM.
jeepwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I've been looking for an SUV as well. Thanks for all the tips guys.
Just curious, how is a 4runner? Looking at a 97 with a V6.
can't go wrong with a 4runner. imo they're holding their value very well so they're expensive i think. but a 97 shouldn't be too bad. for the same price you can probably get a newer/lower mileage pathfinder.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #33
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
My mom is 50/50 on the SUV thing now.
She doesn't like driving people to Church. haha

But.. I was checking out pics of wheel fitment on SC400's and she walked past and really liked it. She asked how much they went for.. and she's 50/50.
She wants a bigger car, but not huge like a LS.
4 door preferred, but doesn't like to drive people.
Huge trunk required. She only shops every couple days, so she stocks up.

If it's a SUV, it has to be nice but under 10. V6 Preferred, but V8 Ok. (I want the V8)
If it's a car, under 10, and roomy. No Civics, and especially no Corolla (she hates Corollas, and they're all beige.)

Either way, it would have to be a car that I would drive, and I want a car that my mom looks cool in. I'm not letting her drive a beige Corolla.

Most of the SUV's (Pathfinder, 4Runner, Cherokee) I've looked at are in pretty shit interior condition. I could care less about paint flaws, but if the seat is so worn that I shrink about an inch, I don't know how a 5'2 Asian lady is gonna be able to see past the steering wheel.

Right now, I'm looking at a whole lot of different cars.. Big SUV with a tiny asian lady behind the wheel, or a nice normal "cool" car that I could use and she would feel better driving.
Or watch her stomp on the Throttle/Brakes in a low powered car like a Civic again.

Last edited by SpuGen; 12-25-2008 at 09:31 PM.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
we got a 97 jeep cherokee laredo that has like 300,000kms and is still going strong. never had any transmission or engine problems. only problem we had was the alternator. the shitty thing is that my dad is like harsh in love with this jeep cuz it was the first vehicle he bought new. hes only gonna replace it when its totally dead. i have tried my best to kill the jeep but the freakin thing wont die.

make sure u get the v6 instead of the v8s. the v8s are nothing but problems
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #35
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
jeeps dont come with V6s
Old 12-26-2008, 10:59 AM   #36

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/964171139.html

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/969507617.html

Or...

It's a guy taking offers on the RR Classic; "I am thinking of selling my beloved 1993 Rangie gold in colour with air suspension(Arnotts Gen III air bags), 4.6 Engine, Maxi Drive rear Diff lock, LT 230 Transfer box, Electric tow brake setup, Largest core radiator that can fit (new), Snorkel, Roof rack, and of course leather, sun roof blah blah you know all this stuff as its in all of them."

EDIT: If you look in Seattle, there's about 374239564 Land Rover's for sale in your budget.

Through the mud and the blood to the green field beyond.
Faugh A'Ballaugh.

Last edited by 1983 Z28; 12-26-2008 at 11:02 AM.
1983 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #37
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What about a Jeep YJ/TJ?
kumbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #38

What model of LR is this?
http://driving.canada.com/buy/used/d...5&origin=oodle

Any feed back on this model? Pros/cons?
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 12-27-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #39

It's a Range Rover. Produced from 1994 to 2002, they're known as their model designation: P38. They're nice, and they still look very modern, but they are also the single most problematic of the Land Rovers. I like them, but I sure as hell would hate to own one. They have terribly transmission problems, tons of issue with the air suspension (although most owners swap it to coil springs), and the engine issues are generally a pain in the ass since they were starting to push the old Buick Nailhead-derived V8 to it's limit.

In short, with the price of Discovery I and Discovery II's coming down so fast thanks to the recession/fuel prices, there really is not reason to own a P38, since they still command a bit of a price thanks to the Range Rover badge. A Disco II will be infinitely more reliable, better on fuel, and as, if not more luxurious.

Conversely, buying a Range Rover Classic is, in my mind, the best option. They're just great, and parts are as common and as cheap as dirt. Really, add a couple inches of lift, a roofrack, and bigger tires and you've got in insanely capable off-road vehicle. A RR Classic was the first vehicle to successfully finish a complete transcontintental expedition from the northern tip of North American to the southernmost tip of South America through the Darien Gap (which was first crossed in the '50s by, you guessed it, a Land Rover).

Watch this:

Richard Hammond explains why the Land Rover was named the greatest car ever.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #40
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Found a 96 For 3K OBO.
Cherokee V8.

The chick said some guy has it at his mechanic's shop checking it out.
If he doesn't want it, it's mine...

Anybody know a good shop?
My friend was recently let go at his shop.. so I have no real mechanic(with a lift at least) right now.
Waiting for pics of a SC400 right now as well for just a bit more.

I really don't know where to go with this.
SC400 with unknown KMS, great paint and good condition.
Grand Cherokee with unknown everything, but really cheap.
V8 Coupe that will probably get stuck in this snow assuming we get anymore
V8 4x4 that will get me places.
Both are Robson Street Pimpin hah

Total opposites, but my mom doesn't like anything in between. Either they're ugly, less options, or I just wont drive it.

Help me choose guys.
She WANTS a Jeep (cause Andy Lau had a YJ or something in some movie) Kinda been a dream to own one for herself.
She doesn't NEED a Jeep. (I do..sometimes)
She wants something with power cause she loves going quick, but not flooring it like the Civic. I Do too.
Roomy enough for Groceries and a family of 3. (sister could care less)
Not Ugly
Not a POS.

I'm leaning towards the SC cause she wont go Deathrace 2000 on pedestrians/cars/Curbs
But I want the Jeep because I'm sick of parking 2 blocks away just so I can get to work. And it has tons of room for parts.

I've suggested an older Legacy/Outback, but my mom thinks it's ugly and would rather have a newer Legacy.

The only thing I've learned from this is... We think alike, but shes more picky.

Fuck.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #41
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Find her a Gremlin and call it a day.
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983 Z28 View Post
It's a Range Rover. Produced from 1994 to 2002, they're known as their model designation: P38.
Is there any sites or forums with info on problems and mods for the P38 that you would recommend.

Wife really likes the RR, so I need more ammo to shoot her down. And if she wins, I would like to mod it.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #43

Yeah, there's a few, I'll look them up when I get home.

If you're looking to modify it, it's not a bad choice actually. A coil spring swap gets rid of all the airbag problems, and a lot of guys in the UK have had incredible success getting them to run off Megasquirt, which makes the V8 about as reliable as they come. It's really just a few key things that make them less reliable, and if you're willing to remedy those, they aren't bad. I thought you were looking for something more turn-key reliable, but if you're looking to turn a few wrenches, its a good buy.

And yes, guys still take the P38s off road plenty.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Found a 96 For 3K OBO.
Cherokee V8.

The chick said some guy has it at his mechanic's shop checking it out.
If he doesn't want it, it's mine...

Anybody know a good shop?
My friend was recently let go at his shop.. so I have no real mechanic(with a lift at least) right now.
Waiting for pics of a SC400 right now as well for just a bit more.

I really don't know where to go with this.
SC400 with unknown KMS, great paint and good condition.
Grand Cherokee with unknown everything, but really cheap.
V8 Coupe that will probably get stuck in this snow assuming we get anymore
V8 4x4 that will get me places.
Both are Robson Street Pimpin hah

Total opposites, but my mom doesn't like anything in between. Either they're ugly, less options, or I just wont drive it.

Help me choose guys.
She WANTS a Jeep (cause Andy Lau had a YJ or something in some movie) Kinda been a dream to own one for herself.
She doesn't NEED a Jeep. (I do..sometimes)
She wants something with power cause she loves going quick, but not flooring it like the Civic. I Do too.
Roomy enough for Groceries and a family of 3. (sister could care less)
Not Ugly
Not a POS.

I'm leaning towards the SC cause she wont go Deathrace 2000 on pedestrians/cars/Curbs
But I want the Jeep because I'm sick of parking 2 blocks away just so I can get to work. And it has tons of room for parts.

I've suggested an older Legacy/Outback, but my mom thinks it's ugly and would rather have a newer Legacy.

The only thing I've learned from this is... We think alike, but shes more picky.

Fuck.
Jeep. Seems pretty simple... the Lexus WILL have problems (google SC400 bushings/doors, etc etc), and so will the Jeep... but the Jeep will cost WAY less to fix. You can get an entire suspension system for less than the cost of the SC's bushings+labour (because they are a BITCH to replace). Not to mention, the Jeep have everything going for it in terms of practicality. Add a nice lift, some decent oversides tires, and an exo, and you'll get a lot more looks than that SC400 ever will, too.

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Yeah, there's a few, I'll look them up when I get home.

If you're looking to modify it, it's not a bad choice actually. A coil spring swap gets rid of all the airbag problems, and a lot of guys in the UK have had incredible success getting them to run off Megasquirt, which makes the V8 about as reliable as they come. It's really just a few key things that make them less reliable, and if you're willing to remedy those, they aren't bad. I thought you were looking for something more turn-key reliable, but if you're looking to turn a few wrenches, its a good buy.

And yes, guys still take the P38s off road plenty.
Thanks.

We went at looked at the RR and took it for a test drive. The wife really like it, and it wasn't as big as I thought it was going to be, but it is still bigger than my current car.

You mentioned megasquirt, that is the same as the water injection that the turbo guys run?

I don't mind, and the wife doesn't mind me tinkering with the truck, as long as I don't break anything.

We have a friend that goes off-roading in their FJ, and now the wife is itching to go with them.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #46

Megasquirt is a DIY standalone fuel management system... only it's so much more. Just google it... it basically is an open source fuel management system that costs around $200 bucks, runs free software, and reduces your EFI system to the most basic inputs. The stock Land Rover computer is a weak point, and requires a huge computer system to diagnose. Megasquirt lets you circumvent a lot of the common problem areas, and helps you diagnose the rest. There's a couple people on here running MS on their cars, and they can give you more info (Lomac). Also, if you google around, and check LR4x4 Forums, Land Rover Addicts, and Megasquirt Runs Britcar forum you'll get alot of info on Megasquirt and the P38. There's a huge Land Rover community worldwide, which is very handy when it comes to answering questions!

And if do that P38 up properly, you should be able to do everything that FJ does, only in a lot more comfort! Also, check out The Roverlanders of BC, we have a lot of members that know a ton of stuff about them, and there's a couple great shops you can take a potential buy to to have checked out (Rovertech and Hesp Auto being the best two IMHO). Also, we do a lot of off-road trips, usually one a month!

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #47
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,005 Times in 231 Posts
ehh i'd stay away from the cherokee V8... its full time AWD which is kinda crappy if you're looking for decent mileage
i'd go with a 6 cylinder model

cant believe no one has mentioned a toyota 4Runner. i've had 5, they are simple to work on, parts are readily available and reliable as hell.
the 96 and up body style are a lil pricey, but anything before that is cheap
dont get a V6 Auto, try for a manual if you go that route
and the 4 Cylinder is money if you can find one
Renthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #48

Ok question though... if they are reliable... why have you had five?

Faugh A'Ballaugh.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #49
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
^ Jesus, all this Land Rover talk your making me want one and I have absolutely no need for one.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #50
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Ok question though... if they are reliable... why have you had five?

rust?

and ya, you're realling selling this LR idea pretty well. altho i know better enough to only want one as a 2nd vehicle

Last edited by RRxtar; 12-29-2008 at 10:13 PM.
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote