REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Red light camera picture taken (https://www.revscene.net/forums/556227-red-light-camera-picture-taken.html)

IslandDrive 12-08-2008 06:36 PM

Red light camera picture taken

I was driving to work last month and had my picture taken by a traffic camera as i was driving through a yellow to red. I recieved a ticket in the mail for 167 dollars. What I am wondering is, will i lose my license agian? I am currently with an N and have lost it before, however that was in november of last year, for 3 months because of driving conterary to restrictions. I am trying to apply with the VPD and RCMP, and I am worried this red light ticket (I was not purposely going through a yellow to red, it was wet out and I felt If I had to stop very quicly I would end up in the intersection, bascially a gut reaction to continue) will hurt my chances of getting in. I am also worried because If I lose my license agian and have to restart my N, I will be that much further away from persuing my career. any experience or information would be greatly appreciated.

skidmark 12-08-2008 07:46 PM

You have to enter the intersection AFTER the light has gone red to get a red light ticket.

Fortunately for you, they are issued to the registered owner, and if paid, don't result in penalty points for anyone. It is only when you are nominated by the owner as being the driver that you receive points.

IslandDrive 12-08-2008 07:49 PM

I am the registered owner of the vehicle. I dont understand what you mean about it not resulting in points, as I was under the impression that it was still a ticket that I could receive penalty points from. Does this mean I may not recieve points as a result of this ticket?

CRS 12-09-2008 01:19 AM

Tickets can be issued to either the driver or the registered owner. If the ticket is issued to the driver, points are carried. If the ticket is issued to the registered owner, there are no points.

Hope that clears things up.

impactX 12-09-2008 06:59 AM

1) Need Class 5 for Policing.
2) You will need to disclose every ticket you've gotten in your life during the recruiting process...

Conclusion: It's not going to make a difference.

IslandDrive 12-09-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 6163308)
Tickets can be issued to either the driver or the registered owner. If the ticket is issued to the driver, points are carried. If the ticket is issued to the registered owner, there are no points.

Hope that clears things up.

yea i got it now. The ticket i recieved in the mail says I am liable as the registered owner, so by what you said I am assuming this means the points will not be added to my license. Thanks for your help.

Soundy 12-10-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandDrive (Post 6162506)
I was driving to work last month and had my picture taken by a traffic camera as i was driving through a yellow to red.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 6162641)
You have to enter the intersection AFTER the light has gone red to get a red light ticket.

If the light was in fact still yellow when you entered the intersection, you may have a case for a dispute.

Type-SIR 12-10-2008 01:02 PM

dispute it!

end of story!

!Yaminashi 12-10-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6165774)
If the light was in fact still yellow when you entered the intersection, you may have a case for a dispute.

They actually send photos of your car being in the intersection when the light is red.

I know because this happened to me back in october

Soundy 12-10-2008 02:22 PM

I know they do, I've seen plenty (none with my car, though!). The idea is, the camera is not supposed to activate until after the light turns red, so if it's still yellow when you enter the intersection, it shouldn't go off... but sometimes it does. I have a couple different friends who've disputed on this and won.

skidmark 12-10-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6165972)
I have a couple different friends who've disputed on this and won.

Rather than me ask for their names, would you take a moment and visit:

http://www.provincialcourt.bc.ca/jud...ase/index.html

and search with their name to see if the case has been reported? If so, please post a link so that we can see the reasoning.

Thanks!

skidmark 12-10-2008 04:35 PM

I might be wrong, but don't you get two pictures of your vehicle, one before it enters the intersection with the red light showing and one of the vehicle in the intersection after that, still with the red light showing?

If you got the first photo with a yellow light showing, then I think that you might have a defence. Otherwise, I think you are going to have a hard time saying that the light turned red after you entered the intersection.

Zyzz 06-14-2010 11:26 AM

Hi guys, I am just wondering if running the red light still carries points, if the ticket was sent to the registered owner's mail, since this thread was 2 years ago. Thanks.

HSK 06-14-2010 11:58 AM

No points if ticket is issued to the registered owner。