REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Red light camera picture taken

I was driving to work last month and had my picture taken by a traffic camera as i was driving through a yellow to red. I recieved a ticket in the mail for 167 dollars. What I am wondering is, will i lose my license agian? I am currently with an N and have lost it before, however that was in november of last year, for 3 months because of driving conterary to restrictions. I am trying to apply with the VPD and RCMP, and I am worried this red light ticket (I was not purposely going through a yellow to red, it was wet out and I felt If I had to stop very quicly I would end up in the intersection, bascially a gut reaction to continue) will hurt my chances of getting in. I am also worried because If I lose my license agian and have to restart my N, I will be that much further away from persuing my career. any experience or information would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
IslandDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

You have to enter the intersection AFTER the light has gone red to get a red light ticket.

Fortunately for you, they are issued to the registered owner, and if paid, don't result in penalty points for anyone. It is only when you are nominated by the owner as being the driver that you receive points.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

I am the registered owner of the vehicle. I dont understand what you mean about it not resulting in points, as I was under the impression that it was still a ticket that I could receive penalty points from. Does this mean I may not recieve points as a result of this ticket?

Last edited by IslandDrive; 12-08-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Tickets can be issued to either the driver or the registered owner. If the ticket is issued to the driver, points are carried. If the ticket is issued to the registered owner, there are no points.

Hope that clears things up.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

1) Need Class 5 for Policing.
2) You will need to disclose every ticket you've gotten in your life during the recruiting process...

Conclusion: It's not going to make a difference.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Tickets can be issued to either the driver or the registered owner. If the ticket is issued to the driver, points are carried. If the ticket is issued to the registered owner, there are no points.

Hope that clears things up.

yea i got it now. The ticket i recieved in the mail says I am liable as the registered owner, so by what you said I am assuming this means the points will not be added to my license. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDrive View Post
I was driving to work last month and had my picture taken by a traffic camera as i was driving through a yellow to red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
You have to enter the intersection AFTER the light has gone red to get a red light ticket.
If the light was in fact still yellow when you entered the intersection, you may have a case for a dispute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

dispute it!

end of story!
Type-SIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
If the light was in fact still yellow when you entered the intersection, you may have a case for a dispute.
They actually send photos of your car being in the intersection when the light is red.

I know because this happened to me back in october
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I know they do, I've seen plenty (none with my car, though!). The idea is, the camera is not supposed to activate until after the light turns red, so if it's still yellow when you enter the intersection, it shouldn't go off... but sometimes it does. I have a couple different friends who've disputed on this and won.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I have a couple different friends who've disputed on this and won.
Rather than me ask for their names, would you take a moment and visit:

http://www.provincialcourt.bc.ca/jud...ase/index.html

and search with their name to see if the case has been reported? If so, please post a link so that we can see the reasoning.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #12
Retired Traffic Cop

I might be wrong, but don't you get two pictures of your vehicle, one before it enters the intersection with the red light showing and one of the vehicle in the intersection after that, still with the red light showing?

If you got the first photo with a yellow light showing, then I think that you might have a defence. Otherwise, I think you are going to have a hard time saying that the light turned red after you entered the intersection.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Hi guys, I am just wondering if running the red light still carries points, if the ticket was sent to the registered owner's mail, since this thread was 2 years ago. Thanks.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
HSK
I am Hook'd on RS

No points if ticket is issued to the registered owner。
HSK is offline   Reply With Quote