REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
not paying off credit card

What will happen if I totally ignore my credit card balance and just live my life using cash? I have a credit card balance that I cannot totally pay off and the interest and cash advance interest is adding up every month that I can't even pay the minimum payment every month.

Is there any possible way to have the credit card company/bank totally shrug off the debt and not deal with me again?

Like will they cancel the card and not chase after me again? Or is the only way to get away is by declaring bankruptcy?
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

dont plan on having a credit card / mortgage / loan again for a long time..unless of course you plan on paying a very big premium
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
What will happen if I totally ignore my credit card balance and just live my life using cash? I have a credit card balance that I cannot totally pay off and the interest and cash advance interest is adding up every month that I can't even pay the minimum payment every month.

Is there any possible way to have the credit card company/bank totally shrug off the debt and not deal with me again?

Like will they cancel the card and not chase after me again? Or is the only way to get away is by declaring bankruptcy?
absolutely not. they will take any income that they can get- literally. other than paying it off, there are other debt solution options. if extremely bad, then bankruptcy is one of the only solutions. but dont think it's your only option. there are many debt management tools and organizations out there to help.

by not paying your minimum balance, your credit rating will get decremented to the point of being unable to take out even simple loans (<1000). depending on your age, that means no mortgage (unless you plan on renting your whole life), no car loans, no student loans, etc. it can seriously handicap your financial needs in the future. cash is great but its hard to accumulate enough cash for a house and car.

i was in your position, but luckily i was able to get out with some personal help and promised myself not to ever do what i did (ie rack up a bill like what i did). the best thing is to explore all your options, and with the help of family members or financial guidance make the best decision for your circumstances. it is definitely not a good idea to stop paying the bill

paying in cash can only get you so far in today's world. hope this helps
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
absolutely not. they will take any income that they can get- literally. other than paying it off, there are other debt solution options. if extremely bad, then bankruptcy is one of the only solutions. but dont think it's your only option. there are many debt management tools and organizations out there to help.

by not paying your minimum balance, your credit rating will get decremented to the point of being unable to take out even simple loans (<1000). depending on your age, that means no mortgage (unless you plan on renting your whole life), no car loans, no student loans, etc. it can seriously handicap your financial needs in the future. cash is great but its hard to accumulate enough cash for a house and car.

i was in your position, but luckily i was able to get out with some personal help and promised myself not to ever do what i did (ie rack up a bill like what i did). the best thing is to explore all your options, and with the help of family members or financial guidance make the best decision for your circumstances. it is definitely not a good idea to stop paying the bill

paying in cash can only get you so far in today's world. hope this helps
Debt management tools and organization, what do those offer? How can those help? And can you recommend me to some?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Debt management tools and organization, what do those offer? How can those help? And can you recommend me to some?
i dont know any off the top of my head. theres a number of ads on transit that are apparently not for profit. if you have any family members very finance oriented that would be another choice. try the yellow pages as well, and cross reference those with google searches for reviews.

they help by devising ideas to help you handle your debt. some (usually for a fee) build a plan with your income and expenses to tackle your debt in a systematic way.

another option (again depending on your current situation) would be to reconsolidate any debt with the help of a bank. essentially they pay off your high interest loans with a line of credit which is a much smaller interest rate so theres less of an interest payment. but if you dont have good credit to start, you wont be able to use this.

sorry i dont know any names of places- but they do exist. just requires a bit of work to find a credible one. be wary of some as i would assume they tend to take advantage of your situation and try to milk you out of money.

*DISCLAIMER* Please take these ideas at face value. I'm not a financial expert, and just talking from experience. Please, along with the ideas put forth in this thread, try to seek the help of a financial professional/adviser to ensure you get the right help. What helps one person may not work for another.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Ubereem Mod

m3thods has some good points, but some i wouldn't consider any debt management solution unless you're looking upwards of say 40k or so in debt. It will assume OP is in his late teens - early 20s so the methods you are considering are a little bit to deep.

Any suggestions or ideas you have about not paying your credit card, is just plain idiotic. Go ruin your life chances for buying a home/car for bout 7-10years. That would be the smart idea if you don't want those.

I don't know how much you owe, but consider sucking it up and asking your parents for money to help pay off.

Obviously if you can't pay the minimum balance, you probably are not working. And can't get a loan or help that isn't family (aka banks). Or your credit card debt is around 25k and by then you would of known you were deep by about 10k.

Last edited by Gt-R R34; 12-11-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #7

yea... i would definitely not skip out on credit card payments and things...

short term, it may seem ok if you live life out by cash, but somewhere down the road you will need credit in some way shape or form.

What if your car breaks down and you need some emergency money for repairs and don't have enough cash?

What if you want to buy a car and need a loan? What if you want to buy a house someday? What if you want to buy something online?

Really try to push your parents for something to help you get through the tough times... and if you can't pay off your minimum payments, you need to be looking for a job
Old 12-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #8

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Get a few more CC's rack em up and claim bankrupcy.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:

Don't forget cc company can always get loan sharks go after you, they will fuck your credit score up and still make up pay the money + interest

Last edited by Carl Johnson; 12-12-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

What did you buy? just curious..
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
PNF
I bringith the lowerballerith

I wonder how could you NOT be able to pay off even the minimum payment?

I think my credit at highest was at about $18,000... and the minimum payment was like only $50 or so.. (but i paid in full, just used CC for the points, lol)

Then again, i guess different CC issuers do have different % of minimum payment...

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #12
Ubereem Mod

^ Usually, but depending how well/long you've been with them PNF.

If they know you're a big time spender but pays off every single month, you'll see those 50 bucks minimum payments. But if you hold a balance, they charge 5% of balance each month with like 4.9% of that 5% is like interest so you're not even lowering your principal.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redliine View Post
What did you buy? just curious..
x2

What did you spend it on and how did you end up there? Tell us your life story so that other members can be helped by it and try to avoid it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Consumer proposals..

http://www.bankruptcy-canada.ca/cons...r-proposal.htm
Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Do not go into Consumer proposal.... it's basically 1 step before declaring bankruptcy. Your better off going into a credit counselling program. They will negotiate a settlement with all creditors you owe to and they will help you manage your money better so you can pay off all of your debts.
mazdaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #16
PNF
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
^ Usually, but depending how well/long you've been with them PNF.

If they know you're a big time spender but pays off every single month, you'll see those 50 bucks minimum payments. But if you hold a balance, they charge 5% of balance each month with like 4.9% of that 5% is like interest so you're not even lowering your principal.
thanks for clearing that up.

Now this makes more sense. I have always have very low "minimum payment" due, regardless of my balance for years.

If they charge 5%/ month, that is also way too high? I am assuming you're saying that they charging 5% compounded MONTHLY!? If so, we're talking about about 80% APR!? Correct me if I'm wrong here.. but thats high!

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
Ubereem Mod

haha what i mean is they want you to pay 5% of your balance each month. Yah sorry for not stating it clearly.

80% APR would = loan shark. lol
Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

no, you meant kids, not loan sharks

80% APR = kids
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
I've had a credit card for 4 years now. Never realy use it other than gas here and there just to pay it off/build up credit. My credit limit kept going higher and higher for paying my bills on time.

I was out of town last month and missed my credit card bill which had my driving course on it. Will this affect my credit even if I payed it off in full the next month?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

call your CC company and get them to chon ange your credit card to the low-interest rate one. Sure you pay some sort of annual fee like 30 bucks a year. but u save soo much more in terms of interest.

Most Low-int rate cc offer rates around 10% or less right now. compare that to the 20% u normally pay.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #21

gambling habits + cash advance = gg

should of learn more about cash advance interest before taking cash out of cc.

thanks for all the input guys.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #22
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
gambling habits + cash advance = gg

should of learn more about cash advance interest before taking cash out of cc.

thanks for all the input guys.
You and diesel_test sound a lot alike. I would suggest you both go to counseling for your debt and gambling habits.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #23
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdubfid View Post
I've had a credit card for 4 years now. Never realy use it other than gas here and there just to pay it off/build up credit. My credit limit kept going higher and higher for paying my bills on time.

I was out of town last month and missed my credit card bill which had my driving course on it. Will this affect my credit even if I payed it off in full the next month?
that is a good question, i think if you always pay it of they let is slip, but do not take my word
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You and diesel_test sound a lot alike. I would suggest you both go to counseling for your debt and gambling habits.
Naw, I've quit gambling a year ago already. Not gonna take that path again.

So if I miss a payment or two, there are consequences other than a bigger payment the following month?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Naw, I've quit gambling a year ago already. Not gonna take that path again.

So if I miss a payment or two, there are consequences other than a bigger payment the following month?
minor dent to your credit.. but probably something that will be overlooked but if its chronic then thats a way different game
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote