REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   warning: Black Ice! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/557016-warning-black-ice.html)

orange7 12-14-2008 04:23 PM

warning: Black Ice!

If you're going to "act cool" and "drift" through an intersection of a small street, please beware that you're not just risking your own life but others as well.

I know a lot of you in here think it's really cool to drift and shit like that in the snow cause it gives you a bigger ....

but seriously.. do it at a parking lot where you're only risking your own life...

Lol.. i was taking a break from studying, and I saw this guy making a turn at a small intersection while accelerating really hard on his FWD(at least it seems like he was). He nearly spun out. There wasn't really any snow on this intersection, so it may have been black ice that caused the wheel slipage.

CanadaGoose 12-14-2008 04:28 PM

a lot of people forget, unless you're on dedicated winter tires, the low temperature alone is enough to cause loss of traction, you don't even have to be on ice.

orange7 12-14-2008 05:37 PM

what to do when ABS go on?

release the brake or let the ABS do its job.

Soundy 12-14-2008 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6173577)
what to do when ABS go on?

release the brake or let the ABS do its job.

Umm, ABS won't do a thing on its own... hold the brake down solid and let the ABS do its thing.

Corey Darling 12-14-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

hold the brake down solid and let the ABS do its thing.
Unless it's a 20 yr old celica ;)

doesn't work worth a crap - nearly caused me 3 crashes. Now the ABS gets disabled in snow.

|<e|_ 12-14-2008 05:51 PM

abs is a piece in snow
just soft gentle braking...keep everything smooth
smooth throttle, braking, steering etc.
just drive safe everyone, black ice is effin homo

chucki 12-15-2008 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |<e|_ (Post 6173604)
abs is a piece in snow
just soft gentle braking...keep everything smooth
smooth throttle, braking, steering etc.
just drive safe everyone, black ice is effin homo

Thanks for sharing Kel, you helped me greatly :p

maxx 12-15-2008 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E N D L E S S (Post 6173457)
a lot of people forget, unless you're on dedicated winter tires, the low temperature alone is enough to cause loss of traction, you don't even have to be on ice.

uh yea, thanks for the reminder i thought that even all seasons on the land rover will prevent skidding or traction loss - but rather than risking - I'll take the bus. its gonn ahang around negative 5 to 10 this week

Drift_Monkey 12-15-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxx (Post 6174391)
uh yea, thanks for the reminder i thought that even all seasons on the land rover will prevent skidding or traction loss - but rather than risking - I'll take the bus. its gonn ahang around negative 5 to 10 this week

your should be fine to drive on the big roads as they are all cleared. just don't drive up and down those small streets with hills.

i saw a few SUV's getting Pwned because they think 4x4 will make up the icy hills. they ended up spinning and falling back. I saw this CRV sliding side ways down the same hill near 41st and main.

Berzerker 12-15-2008 11:42 AM

All season tires become rocks when it gets cold enough. Winter tires are not just treaded differently they are made of a compound that is able to handle deep cold.

That being said.. my ebrake helps greatly when turning these days ;)

Berz out.

Raid3n 12-15-2008 12:54 PM

iirc, all seasons start losing their effectiveness around 7°C

TypeRNammer 01-21-2009 01:33 AM

hey guys have to bring this up again

major black ice out there right now, fog combined with cold temperatures equals to a huge ice rink on small streets.

some car just rear ended my neighbour a few minutes ago.

thumper 01-21-2009 06:37 AM

i already posted my story about an idiot with a civic in the snow tire thread.

if the owner is here, don't bother going back for your front lip anymore. looks like the transit buses turned it into a nice piece of flat fiberglass.

death_blossom 01-21-2009 01:57 PM

side streets and alleys are so slick in the early mornings, snow tires aren't even that much better.

!Yaminashi 01-21-2009 02:03 PM

Snow tires wont do shit on ice

shenmecar 01-21-2009 02:06 PM

i figure that much out after fucking up my alignment =(

stewie 01-21-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death_blossom (Post 6237537)
side streets and alleys are so slick in the early mornings, snow tires aren't even that much better.

was goin up an alley way last night to my buddies house, went around the corner in the alley at a slow speed, my trucks back end went out and my front wheels went in the ditch :(

my front bumper was about a cunt hair away from goin through the guys fence!

Fafine 01-21-2009 03:24 PM

went down my small street today, its a bit of a hill, at the end of the street theres a stop sign. i hit the brakes like every other day about to stop but it wasn't gonna happen anytime soon. i hit the brakes since i dont have abs i pumped it a bit, car still sliding eventually came to a stop and im about half a car length past the stop sign. a van was going the other direction infront of me and i was pretty close to hitting him but he kicked it. i made my turn and continued on. by the way i have snow tires.

my friend on the other hand wasn't so lucky. he made a right turn from victoria dr. into a small street. his van didn't have traction and slid into a parked car.

teaoh 01-21-2009 04:16 PM

^yeh fuking bs man!

thumper 01-21-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft (Post 6237546)
Snow tires wont do shit on ice

really? i thought it was all that siping in snow tire treads that made the difference :(

Leopold Stotch 01-21-2009 08:05 PM

Snow tires help on ice. there are certain ice/snow tires out there. just gotta do some homework before you buy.

cococly 01-21-2009 08:09 PM

I remember once I went into a 4-Wheel Drift while turning left at an intersection at richmond due to black-ice, but I held it [ Glad to have AWD at that speed ). The american sedan ( I thought it was a white Dodge sedan ) behind me just skid off the road and hit the snow-covered curb. It was fun to watch :)~

Soundy 01-21-2009 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper (Post 6238237)
really? i thought it was all that siping in snow tire treads that made the difference :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeTech (Post 6238307)
Snow tires help on ice. there are certain ice/snow tires out there. just gotta do some homework before you buy.

Yup, not all "winter/snow" tires are created equal. Some are designed and sold specifically with better ice traction in mind. Of course, if you wanna REALLY go hardcore, you can still find studded tires...

vo_hantu 01-22-2009 02:43 PM

There's a DK in town...uh oh.

Chicken Balls 01-22-2009 10:04 PM

I got snow tires and i go down the side street hill parallel to 41st between knight and 33rd all the time no problem ;)