REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Revscene's Own Snowboard Tech - "Vangruver" (https://www.revscene.net/forums/557816-revscenes-own-snowboard-tech-vangruver.html)

v1nce 12-21-2008 01:38 PM

Revscene's Own Snowboard Tech - "Vangruver"

Hey everyone, I recently had my board waxed/repaired/tuned by Vangruver. So I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

These were the steps I quoted from Vangruver.

Quote:

1] repair the top sheet that has the crack on the nose with suitable adhesive to prevent it from splitting from the board any further.

2] de-tune your board on the nose and tail portion of the edges, roughly 5-6 inches from where the widest portion of the nose/tail edge towards the center

3] base bevel your edges roughly 1.5 degrees to allow you to have an easier riding board while still maintaining a roughly 88degree base edge for gripping on hardpack ice.

4] remove all wax currently on the board, wire brush the base to give some inline texture for faster straight line speed

5] hot wax with flourobase wax, this wax allows you go at a faster speed, due to the water repellency nature of the wax
I ride a 09 Skate banana. From before and after riding with the adjustments, I could really tell the difference. The board seems to be more stable durring high speeds. Grips the ice well. Easier to turn. My board looked new after I had recieved it back. An overall improvement to my board. Vangruver is my official snowboard technician.

The prices he charges are amazingly cheap compared to other stores as well. I already recommended a few of my friends to take their boards to him. He even came to pick up and drop off the board. It doesn't get better than that.

So if anyone on revscene (or have family/friends), is looking to getting their board repaired/waxed/tuned or anything snowboard related. Don't hesitate to msg Vangruver.

He will do it all. :thumbsup:

Vangruver 12-21-2008 05:03 PM

Thanks Vince.

I have every bit of wax for every condition, so if you tell me where you're going, or where you normally go, i can set it up for that snow.

I have every bit of tuning eq that you can imagine, and if i don't have it, i will get it.

;)

abinga 12-21-2008 09:23 PM

This is borderline spam advertising according to our guidelines. Ill allow this for now but make no mention of a shop name, sales or prices. Thx

Vangruver 12-21-2008 09:24 PM

*update*

Currently I'm at my new place, w/o internet temporarily. I will be able to check messages, but slowly through my blackberry. I do have internet @ work so I will be able to read and reply to messages quicker than through my phone.

If anyone wants, send me a pm, we can correspond further.

At my new place I do have my service area set up already for tuning, so no worries for a turn around delay.

Cheers.

Van

Vangruver 12-21-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkBite (Post 6185678)
This is borderline spam advertising according to our guidelines. Ill allow this for now but make no mention of a shop name, sales or prices. Thx

No shop will be mentioned, no prices will be publicly displayed. I offered services through an inquirey, but if need be feel free to delete this if you find that it gets out of hand.

I only with to perpetuate the fun that is winter sports.

LC21 12-21-2008 09:42 PM

How much are you offering for this service?!

Noir 12-22-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LC21 (Post 6185712)
How much are you offering for this service?!

and what kind of services? :)

Vangruver 12-22-2008 10:56 AM

it depends on the board, in all honesty, I would need to see the board to assess what needs to be done.

I am working on a contact right now for base grinds. So that might help for those that have boards that cannot be filled with ptex, but want to have their surface smoothened out.

Vangruver 12-22-2008 01:58 PM

I need a guinea pig.

I'm getting an order in for Synthetic wax. Temperature range between -5 to -9.

I want someone to try this out and give me a review.

I'd do it, but I don't plan on going up till after the new year.

I'm only offering ONE wax.

ONLY ONE and i will post when i have a suitable candidate.

I need to know the board you have as well.

ultra-magnu 12-22-2008 05:34 PM

^ Somebody take that offer! I'd go for it, but I have an injury from crashing into rocks. Can't board until Jan.

K-Dub 12-22-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vangruver (Post 6186739)
I need a guinea pig.

I'm getting an order in for Synthetic wax. Temperature range between -5 to -9.

I want someone to try this out and give me a review.

I'd do it, but I don't plan on going up till after the new year.

I'm only offering ONE wax.

ONLY ONE and i will post when i have a suitable candidate.

I need to know the board you have as well.

pm'd. d=

Vangruver 12-22-2008 07:58 PM

And in a couple days, someone just got themselves a free wax!

m4k4v4li 12-23-2008 12:26 AM

i just use candle wax and do it myself, so easy fast and free.... works the same

ultra-magnu 12-23-2008 01:18 AM

seriously? Candle wax?

Vangruver 12-23-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6chr0nic4 (Post 6187714)
i just use candle wax and do it myself, so easy fast and free.... works the same

lets ride then,

you with your candle wax, and i'll hot wax with one of my set ups.

ultra-magnu 12-23-2008 10:13 AM

Don't forget cake for the candles.

Vangruver 12-23-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra-magnu (Post 6188162)
Don't forget cake for the candles.

I'm more of a cupcake kind of guy ;)

m4k4v4li 12-23-2008 05:37 PM

chump, id friggen pwn ur nub ass with or without wax

Vangruver 12-23-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6chr0nic4 (Post 6188766)
chump, id friggen pwn ur nub ass with or without wax

Watch the name calling there brosef, I'd be willing to put some fat cake on a wager like this.

This "chump" means business.

m4k4v4li 12-24-2008 02:30 AM

i dont like cake

skiiipi 01-04-2009 10:07 PM

um.....are you a trained certified technician?
do you have a wintersteigger? if so which model?
do you have a ceramic finisher?
how many years have you worked with wintersteiggers?

The Hype 01-04-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 6206330)

Being a "Trained Certified Technician" myself, I'd say you shouldn't put much stock in an "official" title. Certification is very open to interpretation from shop to shop, store to store. What matters is that whoever is doing the work knows what tools to use to get the desired result, and how to use those tools properly. Judging from other RS users responses, and what we both used to post about a while back (when I was a full time tech), I'd say you're in good hands with this guy.

And when you say Winter Stieger, you're referring to a base grinder...correct?
Same with ceramic finishers, you mean edge polishing stones?

Vangruver 01-05-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 6206330)

yes, i have a 5000 sq foot shop area that has over 500 grand in wintersteiger equipment.

You're serious right? Do you have a wintersteiger machine? let alone the one's that do multi purpose services?

I've personally worked with just the base grinders from steiger for roughly 2.5 years.

You want credentials? How about building snowboards for Revelation/Capita snowboards out at the surrey location for over 2 and a half years.

How about tuning and finishing up the entire fleet of 600 + snowboards at cypress mountain's rental shop?

How about working at comor, when they were located at 3rd and fir in their shop, ONLY tuning skii's and snowboards. Yes they had a wintersteiger machine there for skii's only, everything else was hand tuned.

Not to mention the countless years of tuning and waxing for myself and friends in the snowboard cross series?

How about riding for Invasion snowboards for 3 years when they had a 3 board presses. Yes I built each one of my own snowboards, finished them, and then threw them into the wintersteiger automated machine, and gave each snowboards that i built for myself a structured/stone ground finish.

And if you still don't trust me, i'll forward you 6 names and numbers of the people i worked for.

quit drinking haterade.

saucywoman 01-05-2009 04:16 PM

hey vangruver why don't you PM !SG to discuss sponsorship opportunities, or I can let you know the prices to get you set up as a VLS sponsor. If you're interested pm me or !SG. You seem to be quite knowledgable about sporting stuff so it would only be fitting to have you as a sports/fitness sponsor on the VLS side ;) then you can advertise all you want without worrying.

Vangruver 01-05-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saucywoman (Post 6207580)
hey vangruver why don't you PM !SG to discuss sponsorship opportunities, or I can let you know the prices to get you set up as a VLS sponsor. If you're interested pm me or !SG. You seem to be quite knowledgable about sporting stuff so it would only be fitting to have you as a sports/fitness sponsor on the VLS side ;) then you can advertise all you want without worrying.

I'm not in a position to sponsor, it was more of a favor I did for a few of the people here. What they did on their end in regards to praise was greatly appreciated.

It's not like it's my primary source of income, in fact I have far too much responsibility on my plate to even consider this being a full time position.

Plus i don't mind the little bit of hatred, it's publicity regardless of how you look at it ;)

If i do take on someone that needs some work or some kind of income then i might consider sponsoring on this site.

thanks though.