REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What are some good running shoes?

Need a new pair of running shoes....i mostly run on the treadmill so any suggestions?
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,643 Posts
i went to running room and got some new balance fitted for me, they were like $150 after taxes, best running shoes i've owned, the mesh on top is nuts, your feet keep so freakin cool, u feel the air glide right past your sock
Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

depends on your feet. do you have wide feet? long feet? flat feet? high arch? pronation?
a lot of shoes out there are made and fit for different feet. i can't wear asics because i find the shoe to be too narrow for myself, and to this day i haven't found a pair that fit me. i've stuck to new balance for my past 3 running shoes, but i run outside. i can't do the treadmill thing. but i'm shopping around to find some Nike Free +3's. I heard they do wonders for your feet. Your best bet would be going to a running-oriented store and talk to people who know what they're talking about. Try to avoid the ones that just say your shoes are cute or look good. just because your shoes look good doesn't mean that your feet will feel great in them
Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #4
Retired Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i went to running room and got some new balance fitted for me, they were like $150 after taxes, best running shoes i've owned, the mesh on top is nuts, your feet keep so freakin cool, u feel the air glide right past your sock
I asked a couple clients of mine to do the same thing. Getting properly fitted for the right running shoe can decrease such things as back pain, shin spints and burning sensations that are not lactic acid related.

Last edited by abinga; 12-24-2008 at 05:48 AM.
abinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

i ahve nike luna trainers there crazy light there comfortable and the air glides right through to your feet and it is the type of material that you dont need to wear socks. there a bit pricy but there the greatest and most comfortable shoe ive owned got o running room to get fitted. oo ya and the have the nike chip in it to keep track of your running its great as well
Old 12-24-2008, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3seriesBeeM View Post
i ahve nike luna trainers there crazy light there comfortable and the air glides right through to your feet and it is the type of material that you dont need to wear socks. there a bit pricy but there the greatest and most comfortable shoe ive owned got o running room to get fitted. oo ya and the have the nike chip in it to keep track of your running its great as well
Thanks....these are the prefect shoes for me because their light weight and prefect for the treadmill.

And thanks for the suggestion guys.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I love the Asics fit but the shoe you'll need is based on your pronation. If you overpronate that means your arch flattens out too much when you walk, I would try something in the Asics line with the Duomax. 1000 series, 2000 series and the Kayanos would have this feature.

The duomax is the grey area you see on the inner part of the midsole. It's a denser foam than the rest of the midsole that will help with overpronation. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck I'd go with the 2000 series. It's the most popular running shoe in the world and it is super light with a Solyte midsole instead of the heavier SpEVA on the 1000 series. It also features memory foam inside near the ankles so it's a more comfortable shoe than the 1000 series. I own both the Asics 1110 and the 2130 and they are both good shoes. But given the small price difference I would pay the extra and get the 2000 series. I find most shoes in the Asics line have a boxier area for the toes so it's more comfortable and my toes don't get scrunched up.

Older models are going to be relatively similar. So if you can find a bargain on an older model, they're not going to be much different than the current years. How Asics names their product is for example, Gel 1110 is the 11th model of the Gel 1000 series. The first digit indicates the series and the middle two digits indicate the year since the initial release of the line. The other good thing about Asics is that they come in a variety of widths. You don't want a shoe that's too narrow and uncomfortable. But on the other hand you don't want a shoe that's too wide and have your foot sliding side to side.

If you don't have any pronation problems or if you underpronate you could wear a shoe that does not feature the duomax like the Asics Nimbus. I never looked too much into this shoe since I overpronate and only buy runners with the Duomax.

I am obviously biased towards Asics because they've worked for me but also try on some New Balance, Mizunos or Saucony just to see which brand will fit your foot the best. You want a shoe with proper support and my quick test is to pick the shoe up and squeeze the heel area on both sides of the shoe. If you can easily push the heel area in, this shoe is shitty. Most of the shoes put forth by Nike, Adidas, and Reebok will do this. If you pick up a decent pair of running shoes like Asics, NB, Mizuno or Saucony, it will be reinforced in that area and you cannot push it in.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

try on a bunch to see how they feel. I personally like the asics Gel Kayano's, comfy and good cushioning while running on street. New balance makes good shoes as well.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
I don't get it

has anyone tried running in the vibram five finger/toe shoes?

It mimics the trend started by the nike fit (running barefeet)
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

I want a pair of the Vibrams. But I wear a pair of Adidas basketball shoes. I go to the gym and run as well as lift weights etc, so I found that they are a great overall shoe for my purpose.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Al Zawahiri View Post
Thanks....these are the prefect shoes for me because their light weight and prefect for the treadmill.

And thanks for the suggestion guys.
so, because this particular shoe is lightweight, you think it is the perfect shoe for you? no.

please, go to a running store. let them do what they are there for. they will give you several shoes to try on and you can make your decision from there.
also, bring in an old pair of shoes, runners if possible so they can look at the wear on them. this will help them analyze your feet.

feet are unique. the perfect shoe for me could cause you nothing but discomfort which is why you really should let someone help you that knows what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

air max 360s are very good i think
tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Check out the Adizero Line Up. Ive used and liked:

The adizero RC= not really for long runs, more or less speed training and under 10km. You may like them if you wanted a light racing shoe. Will not last very long though and has no support. Neutral. And you may not be ready for a racing shoe and may cause some injuries as well as any shoe that mimics barefoot running due to less support.

The Asics Kayano 14 are ok but a bit stiff in the beginning. The 12's were great.

And I like the New Balance 757 and had luck with some Waveriders in the past as well.

Nothing from Nike.. (Maybe the Odd Pegasus model.)

Lastly, keep in mind that Running Shoes tend to look like ass but your feet, back will thank you. And no, Shoxx are not running shoes yet oddly enough, you see ppl with them all the time running.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Go get fitted at a running store! Personally, I have ran over 75 races, from 5kms to a full marathon, on pavement, on trails, on gravel, etc... and have tried and own a number of different running shoes. Saucony, New Balance, Puma, Fila, Asics, etc. But, no Nike's ever, untill I got a pair of Air Max Moto's, since they were extra wide width. (But they are never the 1st pair I pick to go running with) Personally, I've mostly ran in Mizuno's (Wave Rider 8, 9, 10, 11) and my current long distance fave are my Adistar Controls (4).
Yes, the prices at a specialty running store (Rackets and Runners, Running Room, etc) are a little bit higher, but their staff is very knowledgable. And I know for a fact, that if you buy a pair of runners at Rackets & Runners, and they don't work out for you, you can bring them back and try something else as long as they're in sellable condition, of course.
If you know exactly which pair of shoes you want, and want to save a little money, then head over to the States, I've always found the same models cheaper there...not too sure now, with the exchange though.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #15
Banned By Establishment

I tend to stay away from Nike air's now, b/c their warranty for the air cushion sucks now.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tough View Post
air max 360s are very good i think
Terrible shoes for running. I wouldn't recommend any Nikes as a decent runner, they're all too gimmicky. Just look at a marathon and count how many pairs of AM360 you'll actually see there vs a true running shoe.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #17

So I finally got my Nike luna trainers which were a bitch to find in size 12 for some reason. They're great and very light. Actually prefect for treadmill jogging/running and for a indoor track. I'll be running outdoors so hopefully they're as good as they are indoors.