REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Rocket mobile internet stick

Is anyone planning on getting this? It's been out for awhile and absolutely nobody I met has even considered getting one. Finding a wifi hotspot is just wayy too easy, and for some of us, cracking WEP keys is just as easy too.

I think this rocket mobile internet stick is an epic fail. The way I see it, the 4 major internet consumers are business people, students, home users, and [cafe] loungers.

Which catagory does this internet stick fit in? None of them. The dataplan cost for the internet stick isn't economical for the business people to view huge .pdf's and use remote desktops, students get free internet from their campus, home users can just use regular internet for wayy better data plans, and loungers can always go to their local cafe for internet.

The only places where this internet stick would be practical is if you need to use the internet at a park, beach, or other places where you can't pick up another wifi connection.

Lastly, note the rates below. The only thing this stick will do is rocket your monthly bill sky high.

Monthly Fee* Data Included How Rogers Flex Rate Works
$30 500 MB
(if usage is greater than 500 MB, $35 will be charged) You will start each month at Tier 1

$35 1 GB
(if usage is greater than 1 GB, $50 will be charged) If your monthly usage exceeds 500 MB, then you move up automatically to Tier 2

$50 2 GB
(if usage is greater than 2 GB, $65 will be charged) If your monthly usage exceeds 1 GB, then you move up automatically to Tier 3

$65 3 GB
(if usage is greater than 3 GB, $85 will be charged) If your monthly usage exceeds 2 GB, then you move up automatically to Tier 4

$85 5 GB
(if usage is greater than 5 GB, 3¢ per additional MB will be charged) If your monthly usage exceeds 3 GB, then you move up automatically to Tier 5
Advertisement
BNR32_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...one_card_plans
Old 12-25-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I just keep a cable in my laptop bag and teather to my phone if I really need it.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Move thread to mobile chat?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe View Post
The dataplan cost for the internet stick isn't economical for the business people to view huge .pdf's and use remote desktops,
you are obviously not a business person, if the execs have the need, they will get it. sales team will also benefit from this especially whenever they need internet. not every computer has built in HSDPA and not everywhere has free wifi.

there is no other solution offered as simple as this. given that the price for data is more then you can afford, this is nothing for corporates. what's $85 for a company that spends millions a month?

what sucks is that this is canada, and our data plan is always expensive. places like HK offer unlimited access for less then half the price.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I have the rocket stick..

I use it when im on the road and don't feel like driving around looking for a hot spot..

I wish that they had lower tiers.. because I only use it a half dozen times a month.
bossxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Iphone FTW
g604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

my company has around 60 telus aircards @ $100 / month each. unlimited in Canada and USA.

I have one of them

$35 is nothing for companys

our first bill was over 10k in one month (and we only had 20 or so then). apparently they didn't put us on the unlimited plan the first month... oops.

if you think we spend alot a month on aircards.. you should see the cell bills. and sat phone bills.

aircards are great in ferry lines and on the ferry. no wifi. (not yet anyways, that's something they should do!)

Last edited by johny; 01-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by g604 View Post
Iphone FTW
the internet on the iphone is garbage. Its slow as hell and has no flash. I don't understand why pay pay +$90/month for a data plan. Everyone i know who has a data plan on the iphone don't even use the internet on it.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
ddr
Snapping away

unless you can tether on your phone and have a sizable bandwidth plan, you don't really have much alternatives
the best deal was to have the 6gb data plan and use it to tether....

i'm on a 1gb plan and i'm trying not to tether using my phone...