REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 12-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Best way to store tires until summer?

Got some Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's coming in from tirerack @ $49 US

What's the best way to store them until summer? Well.. maybe March. They're mounted on wheels. Keep them inflated and stack 'em up?

Advertisement
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:28 AM   #2
I don't get it

Good question, also while at it, how to store rims on a car, thats parked... Some ppl say inflat them with high psi so you dont get soft spots, some people say leave them at normal psi just put wood blocks under tires... anyone?
chromechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
get those tire bags from costco, its like $40 bucks for the michelin ones. they aren't the cheapo grocery bag style ones. they kinda look like these

bought a set, stored my 20s away in the garage, stacked them up, and stays nice and clean until its time to put them back on =D

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
get those tire bags from costco, its like $40 bucks for the michelin ones. they aren't the cheapo grocery bag style ones. they kinda look like these

bought a set, stored my 20s away in the garage, stacked them up, and stays nice and clean until its time to put them back on =D
I do the same thing!

Or if you want to spend a little more get this.

http://www.garagepals.com/5576.html
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

best way to store would be to place them in a tote, like the one above, then stack them on a piece of plywood, don't want them to be in direct contact with the concrete.

Last edited by 03aspec; 12-28-2008 at 09:51 AM.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #6

ok thanks..
so it's ok to leave them fully inflated?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

actually, if you can, don't stack the tires on top. the weight will warp your bottom tires. but if you do need to stack them then make sure to rotate the bottom tire out every so often. otherwise stand them up side by side and on top of a couple of 2x4's so they don't roll away. I don't know the truth behind the proper air pressure while in storage, but i usually keep them within the proper pressure, checking every few weeks and then checking them again before putting them on the car.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

or stack em in youre living room and put a plywood board on top, makes a great coffee table
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
actually, if you can, don't stack the tires on top. the weight will warp your bottom tires.
that's a myth. the only thing it will do is scuff the wheels if the tires are stretched..

keep proper tire pressure as a fully deflated tire could unbead itself during storage.

Last edited by yiujo; 01-01-2009 at 03:58 AM.
yiujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
I don't get it

what about a car in storage on wheels with direct contact to cement. What are the options? Bad for it to sit on the tires (flat spots?)
Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #11

put the car on jack stands if u're going to store the car for a few months. while all tires are susceptible to flat spotting, some actually become permanent so it's best to avoid it when possible.
yiujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

now if u dont want to take them off your car and your car is in storage put underlay or double the carpet under the tires--that way you wont have the flat spot

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough
MERXUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

stack them sideways!
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERXUS View Post
now if u dont want to take them off your car and your car is in storage put underlay or double the carpet under the tires--that way you wont have the flat spot
the absolute best way is to leave it up on jackstands, as mentioned above.
03aspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiujo View Post
that's a myth. the only thing it will do is scuff the wheels if the tires are stretched..

keep proper tire pressure as a fully deflated tire could unbead itself during storage.
Whether it's a myth or not, it happens. I always thought it was too, till I pulled out my previous set of snow tires and the bottom one was warped. I thought it was tire pressure at first, but it was fine.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #16

I'm no expert on this topic, but I've read that you're better off putting tires in garbage bags rather than tire totes because it keeps the oils in the tires, delaying sidewall cracks.
Chrisco242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #17
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

the idea is sound, but u gotta remember, these tires are stored at tire shops as well. and they arent stored in plastic bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco242 View Post
I'm no expert on this topic, but I've read that you're better off putting tires in garbage bags rather than tire totes because it keeps the oils in the tires, delaying sidewall cracks.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #18

nice score on those tires

those are top notch rubber for dry & rain

If it was me, I would just store them off the floor, standing up side by side, and then just rotate them a half turn every few weeks. I wouldn't even worry too much about covering them, modern tires are tough

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03aspec View Post
the absolute best way is to leave it up on jackstands, as mentioned above.
you are absolutely right; however my way is one of the options if you can not take them off or use the jacks

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough
MERXUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

For such a short amount of time, stacking them up inflated is not going to hurt them at all. I do it every winter.
chwks13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #21
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Also, now's the time to clean them up. Carbon from the brakes only gets harder to remove if it's been sitting for a few months.

The sidewalls on low-profile tires are more than strong enough to not be bothered by 4-6months of storage on their side.
harrison.kroeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post

Anyone know if costco is selling these right now for 16s? Can't find them on costco.ca. I don't have membership and don't wanna bug anyone unless Costco has them in stock.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #23
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

i bought these like 2 months ago. they are adjustable to whatever sizing, so if its 16" should be fine. they wrapped around my 275/30/20s with a lot of room to go. im guess these might even be big enough to do 40" tall off road tires.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

u guys are nuts. i just store them stacked up with cardboard between to protect wheel surface.
wyattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #25
I don't get it

jackstands... sounds like a good idea, car has airride will that effect anything being on jackstands?