REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   8000K vs 10000k HID kits (https://www.revscene.net/forums/558306-8000k-vs-10000k-hid-kits.html)

no_pistons7 12-26-2008 03:32 PM

8000K vs 10000k HID kits

alright well im gunna be getting some HID's for my car soon i had 8000k hid on my other car and they were pretty bright and had a decent blueish white color to them, im thinking of gettin the 10000k's now because im lookin for a really really blue look but i dont want to loose to much visibility..is anyone running 10000k hids and if so how do u like them? the housings for the car are not projectors or ne thing just "crystal clear" lens. if u also have any pictures of 8000k vs 10000k can u please post them up....all my friends have the 8000k and i dont know ne 1 with the 10000k so im not sure what they would look like on a car and how blue they would look, i think really blue would look best on the car cuz it is mostly black, thanks

shenmecar 12-26-2008 05:30 PM

dont put HIDs on a car that wasnt MEANT for HID. please. we dont need more glare.

no_pistons7 12-26-2008 06:34 PM

i had them on my other car(same type of car) and it was alot better to see the road, dont know wut u mean by glare but as long as i can see stuff when im driving in the rain and street sighns light up alot more then i think the better choise is to get lights that i can see the road, especially when i have friends that live on farm roads with no lights and ditches on both sides of the road and cows/other animals sometimes wonder along the road at night

Orion 12-26-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_pistons7 (Post 6192783)
i had them on my other car(same type of car) and it was alot better to see the road, dont know wut u mean by glare but as long as i can see stuff when im driving in the rain and street sighns light up alot more then i think the better choise is to get lights that i can see the road, especially when i have friends that live on farm roads with no lights and ditches on both sides of the road and cows/other animals sometimes wonder along the road at night

he's not talking about you... the glare for the driver in front or where your light beams reach...

edit: in darker/ no on coming traffic conditions you should use your high beams as they have a further/higher aim than some low beam hids

Adrenaline Rush 12-26-2008 07:11 PM

http://www.day-lights.de/images/Lichtfarben.jpg

You will lose light ouput as you go higher in the K range.
Stick close to pure white if you want maximum illumination as opposed to rice. :D

Soundy 12-27-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_pistons7 (Post 6192783)
i had them on my other car(same type of car) and it was alot better to see the road, dont know wut u mean by glare but as long as i can see stuff when im driving in the rain and street sighns light up alot more then i think the better choise is to get lights that i can see the road,

The better choice is to get lights that don't blind oncoming drivers. HID kits in reflector housings will do that every time.

The better choice is also not to make illegal modifications to your lighting... unless of course, you LIKE getting tickets and VIs and having to take your car for inspections...

shenmecar 12-27-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6193675)
The better choice is also not to make illegal modifications to your lighting... unless of course, you LIKE getting tickets and VIs and having to take your car for inspections...

lol cops dont care about illegal HIDs. its just for the driver to be self conscious of the danger they put on the road for other road users.....

no_pistons7 12-27-2008 12:42 PM

ah the guy me and my buddies usualy get them from said he only has 8000k and 12000k, not sure if i want the 12000k judging by the pic up there it looks purple but he said its more blue then 8000k...maybe ill give them a try :S

hondalsvtec 12-27-2008 12:43 PM

if the headlights are aimed properly, how do HIDs affect the driver coming towards you?? like are you mesmorized by them and therefore look straight into the beams of a driver coming towards you?

i really get frustrated by people who knock them... its the same as if someone is driving towards you with high beams on... dont look at there lights.. drive according to the white line not the yellow line..

woozzle 12-27-2008 12:52 PM

http://www.littodevilperformance.com...comparison.wmv

this video will take your question, chuck it out the window and hammer some sense into you. ALWAYS stick with factory color for best output 4300k (5000k max). I don't know why people want the "blue" look...its' gay and quite rice. If you want lighting supremacy, do a retrofit...otherwise stick within range for best results and aim them down slightly, the glare will be minimized that way

Soundy 12-27-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6193694)
lol cops dont care about illegal HIDs. its just for the driver to be self conscious of the danger they put on the road for other road users.....

Go check the Police Forum for all those people complaining about the tickets and VIs they got for their illegal HIDs. Ask the half-dozen or so resident cops if they've never written someone up for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondalsvtec (Post 6193756)
if the headlights are aimed properly, how do HIDs affect the driver coming towards you?? like are you mesmorized by them and therefore look straight into the beams of a driver coming towards you?

No, it's because the point where the light is generated is in a different position than with halogen bulbs, so instead of focusing the light forward, the reflectors just blast it out all over the place. I sat beside one clown the other day who obviously had HID retrofits in his 1990-something SUV's reflector housings... and it was blinding to my peripheral vision, with my driver's window even with his front bumper.

Quote:

i really get frustrated by people who knock them... its the same as if someone is driving towards you with high beams on... dont look at there lights.. drive according to the white line not the yellow line..
Driving with your high beams when there's oncoming traffic is illegal, too.

[QUOTE=woozzle;6193776]I don't know why people want the "blue" look...its' gay and quite rice. /QUOTE]

I saw a jacked-up Ford pickup the other day with lights that were literally VERY purple. They did almost nothing to illuminate they road, and they too were blasting light out in all directions. Useless, gay, AND stupid.

shenmecar 12-27-2008 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6193826)

oh really?!?! w00t! i hope those richmond women who dont know how to drive will get ticketed then.

hondalsvtec 12-27-2008 10:31 PM

my point was just... if someone comes towards you with HID's, and it bothers your vision, then do what we were all trained to to do (same as if someone had high beams on and were blinding you) look away - dont look into the light...

Soundy 12-27-2008 11:03 PM

So I should alter my driving habits to accommodate people who selfishly perform illegal modifications to their cars?

I'm sorry, but it's still illegal. Period. All your rationalizing doesn't change that.

Soundy 12-27-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6193826)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6194128)
oh really?!?! w00t! i hope those richmond women who dont know how to drive will get ticketed then.

http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/...8/26_58_01.htm
Quote:

Multiple beam headlamps

4.06 (1) The headlamps of a motor vehicle must function so that the driver may select lamps capable of displaying

(a) an upper beam of light which, regardless of the load on the vehicle, will reveal an object at a distance of 100 m, and

(b) a lower beam of light which, regardless of the load on the vehicle, will reveal an object at a distance of 30 m and the high intensity portion of the lower beam will not strike the eye of an oncoming driver.

(2) The lighting system must include a tell-tale lamp which clearly indicates when the upper beam of light is being displayed.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a motor vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1940.

(4) If an automatic dimmer switch is installed, the device must have a manual control.

(5) A person who drives or operates a motor vehicle must not illuminate the upper beam of a headlamp if another motor vehicle is within a distance of 150 m from that vehicle, unless the driver has overtaken and passed the other vehicle, so that the high intensity portion of the beam does not strike or reflect into the eye of the other driver.

(6) Whenever a motor vehicle is parked or standing on a highway, the upper beam of the motor vehicle headlamps must not be illuminated.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

hondalsvtec 12-28-2008 08:27 AM

i was not arguing whether they were illegal or not.. i was saying common sense comes into play when people complain about HIDs...

-but based on the above motor regs.. some one with HIDs should test out acouple of those rules and see how close or how far off they really are...

Soundy 12-28-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondalsvtec (Post 6194770)
i was not arguing whether they were illegal or not.. i was saying common sense comes into play when people complain about HIDs...

Right. Common sense says you don't install illegal lighting that will blind other drivers.

Quote:

-but based on the above motor regs.. some one with HIDs should test out acouple of those rules and see how close or how far off they really are...
To what purpose? So you can dispute your VI with, "I know they're illegal, your honor, but they weren't blinding to drivers within 150m!"?

Lomac 12-28-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_pistons7 (Post 6192573)
alright well im gunna be getting some HID's for my car soon i had 8000k hid on my other car and they were pretty bright and had a decent blueish white color to them

The higher up the spectrum you go (4300 upwards), the less usable light you have. 8000's produce far less visible light than pure white bulbs, and 12000 will yield even less light. Also, the bluer the colour, the harder it will see when it reflects off the ground. The illumination will be, frankly, shit.

Not to mention that issues of retrofitting an HID bulb into a halogen housing. You don't just have to worry about producing glare for oncoming traffic, you have to worry about wiring burning out in older cars.

shenmecar 12-28-2008 04:10 PM

dont put hids on ur car please. unless your car has projector headlights.

illicitstylz 12-28-2008 10:08 PM

don't put HID's into your car if they're not meant to have them, especially your reflector housings.

if you don't know what glare is, hope these can help you out with it.

the first video is great because not only does he have one HID kit in one headlight and the other stock to show good differences but you can also tell just how much glare you get. Also notice that the halogen side is actually puting out more useable light on the GROUND, where it counts!
[youtube]AcX63e7peV0[/youtube]

Check out this HORRIBLE narrow beam pattern. Notice how blue and stupid everything looks. Smurf-style y0!
[youtube]W4RdiDP0wfs[/youtube]

Mmmm glare
[youtube]bcnfAUWp-ck[/youtube]

illicitstylz 12-28-2008 10:12 PM

not to mention, 8000k or 12000k will give you basically no light output.

the general way to aim your headlights/hid's and to test their output is 25feet away from the wall, just like the picture below of rx330 hid's

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...IMG_5888_h.jpg

notice wide output, no hotspots, sharp cutoff.

this is one with HID's in reflector housings like you want to get, remember, yours will have even LESS light output than the ones in the picture below since you're way above the 4300k spectrum.
https://webspace.utexas.edu/ckl222/HID/DIY/35.jpg

i suggest going to hidplanet to read up on it before you waste your money on hid's http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Soundy 12-28-2008 11:54 PM

And also:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...s/Hid/HID.html
Quote:

Can I convert my halogen headlamps to HID?

So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb, for between $150 and $600. STOP, put away that credit card. Trying to "convert" halogen headlamps to HID is an unsafe thing to do. There are NO legitimate or safe HID bulb retrofits for halogen headlamps. Here's why.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6195307)
dont put hids on ur car please. unless your car has projector headlights.

And even then, it's still illegal.

woozzle 12-29-2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6196121)

And even then, it's still illegal.

hehe sure, but if you do it right it's less noticeable

JJGreen 01-02-2009 01:07 AM

why do people think that you need a projector to run HID ? sure some cars are way better with a retrofit , but lots are just fine without. a lot of people just throw the hid in without regard to aim , if you aim them , they are no more likely to blind people than halogens. Many cars come with factory hid and reflector housings , lexus , nissan , GM , acura ,etc.

Soundy 01-02-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJGreen (Post 6202095)
why do people think that you need a projector to run HID ? sure some cars are way better with a retrofit , but lots are just fine without. a lot of people just throw the hid in without regard to aim , if you aim them , they are no more likely to blind people than halogens. Many cars come with factory hid and reflector housings , lexus , nissan , GM , acura ,etc.

Yes - housings that are designed specifically for HIDs. Cars don't come from the factory with half-assed retrofits.