REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

KA-T falling flat on its face

first off the car.. 90 240sx running a sohc ka turbo.. Car is falling on its face right b4 it hits boost.. in every gear. if i watch my safc around 21% throttle it cuts out and when i say cuts out i mean there is nothign until i let off the throttle. Its getting extremly hard to drive. Checked all plug leads and everything is in tack no cracks or anything.. plugs rotor cap all done in october. Also i have started to notice sometime if i drive over some snow on the road and the engine bay takes on snow my lights dim and the altanator belt seems like it is squilig. checked it out and it seems to b a tad bit loose im going to tighten this up.. but i doubt that has anything to do with the car not being able to drive.. Please any help would b great thanks guys
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #2

i should also add sometime i get the subaru sound lol.. like the car is misfiring or there is a dead cylinder
Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I don't know much about nissans, but maybe it's something to do with your fuel system (dirty filter, injectors)? Maybe the motor is cutting out because it is seeing a lean condition. This could cause the misfire too.
redrum781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Tech Team Mod

How do the plugs looks? Black? White? Wet? Check and make sure each cylinder is actually getting spark.

2001 BMW M Coupe - Laguna Seca Blue
2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
dubzz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

just about to go outside and pull all the plugs.. If they are all wet what is that? too much fuel correct? going to go drive the car around the block then check everything out. going to check the cap aswell mayb it go wet and needs to b cleaned?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Tech Team Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicalCP View Post
just about to go outside and pull all the plugs.. If they are all wet what is that? too much fuel correct? going to go drive the car around the block then check everything out. going to check the cap aswell mayb it go wet and needs to b cleaned?
Wet could be a couple things. Out of the 3 240's I've owned 2 of them have had injector problems at some point. One of them had a leaky seal and since they're side feed they leak on the inside meaning basically that fuel is free flowing into the cylinder. The other one had an injector that was just stuck open.

It could also be that there's no spark in that cylinder so the fuel isn't burning.

2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR

Last edited by dubzz24; 12-27-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #7

the injectors are 460cc rx7 injectors.. how can i check to see if they are leaking?
Old 12-27-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Tech Team Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicalCP View Post
the injectors are 460cc rx7 injectors.. how can i check to see if they are leaking?
First check to see if the plugs are wet.

2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
2003 Honda CBR 954RR
Old 12-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #9

After pulling the plugs the front 3 cylinders are a white/grey colour on the tips and the 4th cylinder's plug is blac around the tip.. pulled the cap everything looked good no white build up on contacts and the rotor had some black markings on the top that came off when i touch it... the contact piece on the rotor is black coloured aswell... hmm.. I have also been told that i might have a boost leak in or around my intercooler... any thoughts?

I also checked my plugs.. the ones in there now are supose to b factory replacement ones but we all know how good lordco is at giving you wat you want... they are NGK ZFR5D-11.. the ones that were in there b4 were NGK ZFR5EGP the contacts on the old plugs are way smaller then the newer ones.. i dont think this has anything to do with it cause car has been running great for the last 4 months..

Last edited by ChronicalCP; 12-28-2008 at 11:46 AM.
ChronicalCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i'm totally against KAT's because they're junk but its a personal opinion. by the sounds of things, you're lacking pressure out of your fuel pump either because you're still using the weak stock one or you've gone out and bought a crappy new walboro pump.

the other thing could be that your intercooler piping if existant, had a huge/abundant leak from somewhere
Jun_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If your car sounds like a subaru, its obvious mis-fire. Due to Fuel or Spark we have to find out.

If 3 plug's are whitish, that means youre running hot (lean). The 1 that is brownish (Rich!)

Could be the injector on that cylinder.

I'd recommend you using a compression tester to check the cylinders for bad compression, maybe you've lost 1.
Hanz_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Hook up a boost leak tester and see if you have any leaks. Also, do you smell fuel at all?
Pull your pump or check the fuel lines to and from it to see if they are cracked. Also, try changing your fuel filter that might help as well and only takes a minute.

My SR has done stuff like that before. Once I changed the MAF. Another time it happend I changed my rear fuel lines and fuel filter. Last time I did a boost leak test and found a hole in my intercooler pipping. Turbos can finicky things, hope this helped a little.
1eightySX is offline   Reply With Quote