REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 12-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Only one windshield washer spout working

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is in the right forum, and if its not please move it to where its supposed to be

Anyway, I drive a 1998 Honda Prelude and I moved to Montreal from Vancouver in July (brought the car with me). As its known, the climate in Vancouver is a little warmer than Montreal, which is probably why I didnt have a problem with my car there.....

The issue is that the left hand side (driver side) windshield washer spout doesn't work. Only the right one does. Isn't that odd? How can one work but not the other?

I opened the hood and looked at the tubes....the tube is coming from the drivers side of the engine bay, and going up on the hood towards the spouts. There's a Y connector that splits the tube in 2....so one goes to the passenger side, and one to the drivers side. There are no leaks or anything in there. We know the pump works and we know that the fluid goes through the Y connector, but for some reason, it doesnt come out of the drivers side spout.

Could it be frozen you think? But the windshield washer fluid should act as as anti freeze, so really, it shouldn't be frozen?....

I'm confused....

Has it happened to anyone before? Any suggestions on how I can fix this ASAP since I need to use the fluid everyday (salt, snow, ice residue on windshield).

Thanks for your help! Much Appreciated!
Advertisement
dopey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I have a similar problem. I think the nozzle needs to be cleaned out.
redrum781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

get an old toothbrush with soap water and clean out the nozzle....shouldn't really be that hard

if not remove the nozzle and blow air through it
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

Hey.....

So I looked at the situation again, and now the right hand side nozzle doesn't work. I don't *think* I hear the pump anymore (I dont remember how loud it was before...I hear a sound, but its really faint) when I trigger the windshield fluid.

I even removed the tube from the Y connector and tried again, and no fluid came out...which tells me that it has nothing to do with the nozzles.

Its like -14 in Montreal right now...could it be that some fluid is frozen in the pump? I bought some more washer fluid today (works at -40 temp) and refilled the resovoir. I used about 3/4 of the bottle.

I park in a heating parking garage overnight, so I'll try again later tonight since I've already parked my car for the evening, or in the morning tomorrow.

Has this ever happened to any of you? How much does a new pump cost...and I won't be able to install it myself...and since I'm new here, I'll have to resort to Honda cause I dont know of any other shops that sucks.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks a lot!
dopey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Generic washer pumps are like $12 at CDN Tire. Not sure if they fit Hondas. You could try a wrecker.
The pumps are mounted on the bottom of the washer bottle, if you plan on replacing it.

Did you have a non-winter washer fluid in the washer reservoir previously? If so, it might have frozen the pump. See if they pump works after parking it in a heated garage. If so, purge all the old fluid and put in your new winter washer fluid.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #6

Are you sure they are not frozen ?
gumnny is offline   Reply With Quote