REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hit and run incident LONG STORY (Need Advice)

So a couple weeks ago before all this snow my car got hit and run outside of our house. My car has had damage (no actual body damage just scratches and paint damage) to my car before in the same spots, usually during the night time so me and my brother started suspecting somebody in our neighbourhood.

So one night, i park behind a car and i know this car as i have seen it several times before. It belongs to a group of kids, who are friends with one of our neighbours. I'm in my room on the computer when the incident happens, BUT my brother is in the garage and hears them coming out and talking about 'some' car (this is all speculation but i got the feeling they have been hitting my car purposely, the fact that they look like high school wannabe gangsters didnt help ease my suspicions either).

Anyways, my brother hears them talking and he goes and hides outside behind our fence and he SEES and hears them (I just hear it as they are parked in the front, and my room is at the front of the house with my windows open) backing into my car a quite a fast speed. My brother upon seeing this races out and runs after them but they drive off. SO we rang our neighbours doorbell at around 2am in the morning and asked for the offenders number. He gives it to us, and we obviously call and ask for his information so we can report him to ICBC. He freaks out and asks us to settle privately I'm guessing since he was driving his parents car (He had an N on it, was driving 3 people too to boot). So he offers a cash settlement and i agree since he said he would be able to pay me the very next day, since i thought it would be resolved faster this way with less trouble for either party. I say i have work so he said he would stop by the day after that.

Fast forward to that day, he doesn't show. I call him he says he will come by tommorow, still no show. I call him a couple days after, he is always either "at work" or his "buddies" pick up the phone and he isnt there. Now the kicker, I didn't want to phone him this week since:

1. It was the holidays i had things to do and i didnt want to deal with him and
2. It was snowing he would have trouble getting to my house anyways.

But I called him after boxing day, on the sunday i get the same old story hes at work and his buddy picked up. I have also spoken with my neighbour and told him/his buddies/his brother/etc that if he doesnt get back to me by this week i will report to icbc regardless. So finally Tuesday this afternoon my cellphone stops working when i call him, i get the (customer you have called is unavailable) but amazingly when i phone with my home phone i get through, BUT it is an another family answering the phone and they CLAIM this is the wrong number and 'that person' doesn't own this number/phone anymore. He is clearly trying to get away with this scott free.

So i am left with no choice but to report this to ICBC and maybe the police, this is my first hit and run incident so I'm unsure what to do. Any advice to give? I have thoroughly had it with this guy, I tried to cut him a break but he turns around and runs away.
Advertisement

Last edited by skidmark; 12-31-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Moratorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

are you serious?

what advice do you need here? you've already been jacked around by a deadbeat. call icbc with the appropriate information and file the report.

do you need someone to tell you where the toilet paper is and what it's for when you shit?

edit: make sure your info is up to date and easy to understand. be organized when you call them and when you actually meet the adjuster. do i get a hug for holding your hand?

Last edited by Hot Karl; 12-31-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Hot Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop

Whenever your car is damaged like this, your first thought should always be to contact your insurer and let them know about it. The person doing the hitting still has the option of paying up, but when you end up like this you still have your rear end covered.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

did u get his licence plate number?

if you did, icbc will force the other driver to get his car examined at the claim centre

Last edited by alex.w *//; 01-03-2009 at 09:42 PM.
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Director of RS Cares

even reading this made me angry. call icbc right now and report him.
i'd be ripping the town apart if someone did that to my car.

Last edited by skidmark; 01-04-2009 at 07:35 AM.
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
Report Him!!!!

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
You should have reported him that night. I probably would have called the cops too since he left the scene.

Good luck though =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Call ICBC and hopefully, the kid doesn't deny it...because with hit and runs, it's on your end to prove it was a hit and run and not self inflicted.. if the kid denys it, but ICBC sees your damage and determines it's not self inflicted, you may have a shot and pinning the kid. ICBC may then bring his (parents) car in to check for damage to match your story. By some odd chance, the kid had the car fixed already, or there isn't sufficent damage, you may be out of luck.

With hit and runs, often times, witnesses are key.. no one saw him hit your car, just what your brother heard may not be enough, especially since he's your brother and that's conflict of interest.

I know how you feel, my neighbor backed out of her driveway into our car and fully denied it even though there was major damage to both cars..but since my parents didn't want to escalate things and ICBC determined it was a hit and run by the damage, we just paid our deductable and went on with it.

Good luck!

Last edited by LemonH2O; 01-04-2009 at 08:24 PM.
LemonH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Why settle the case privately when you are 100% NOT at fault?
Lesson learned the hard way, I guess...
Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,343 Times in 971 Posts
tell them the exact the detail and say what you wanted to tell them very very carefully.

draw a picture.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote