REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Just got a ticket for over passenger.

And was searching forums for info and I found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
when my buddy got a ticket for too many passengers in the car, the judge threw out the ticket because the officer didn't write down any names of the people in the car.
Can anyone confirm if the police officer is supposed to write down the names of the people in the car? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to dispute this. ( and yes, I know I'm in the wrong and that I should own up to it ) My class 5 date is March 8th and I'm just trying to postpone this until I get my class 5. However, if I can possibly throw out the whole ticket I would prefer that.

Thanks in advance!

-- What a horrible way to start the new year...
Advertisement
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

It might depend on the JJP. Each one has their own particular nuances when it comes to things like that. I've never written down the names of the passengers. I will, however, ask if any of the passengers are immediate family or class 5 drivers over 25 and record the answer (usually a "no") in my notes. If the passengers say yes, then I ask to see ID as proof.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Retired Traffic Cop

Names are not important. All the officer has to satisfy the court is that the numbers were too large for the circumstances. I suspect you are referring to a case where the officer was unable to say with certaintly if there were family members in the vehicle.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomoocow View Post
However, if I can possibly throw out the whole ticket I would prefer that.

Way to be taking responsibility. I would prefer to have the ticket thrown out! hahaha I think everyone in the world would.

And as per a horrible way of starting the new year, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

And no, that cannot be your defense. You must somehow prove the officer wrong in his number of people or the if someone is family/over 25.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I know I'm in the wrong and that I should own up to it
Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

be a man and own up to it, dont waste the courts time
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:14 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
And was searching forums for info and I found this:

Can anyone confirm if the police officer is supposed to write down the names of the people in the car? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to dispute this. ( and yes, I know I'm in the wrong and that I should own up to it ) My class 5 date is March 8th and I'm just trying to postpone this until I get my class 5. However, if I can possibly throw out the whole ticket I would prefer that.

Thanks in advance!

If your class 5 test is in March, don't even worry about it. Do what I did.

Dispute it, wait until after you get your class 5, and then go into a MV branch and just pay up. I did that and everything worked out fine. Mind you I left it until I got my court date (almost a year later) and then didn't go, and just paid up.

you will NOT get a court date within 3 months. it's not possible, so just put the money aside (pay for the ticket) but only after you get your class 5.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

oh, and they will ask you when you take your test about that particular ticket because it will show up on the computer.

just keep the dispute papers and bring them with you, just let them know it's currently being disputed and they will let you take the test.

if you just don't pay it for 3 months without disputing it, they won't let you take the test because you have outstanding fees due to ICBC.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

same thing happened to me two nights ago.
But I deserved it :|
lesson learned.

Last edited by skidmark; 01-05-2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: language
J-force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

Way to be taking responsibility. I would prefer to have the ticket thrown out! hahaha I think everyone in the world would.

And as per a horrible way of starting the new year, you really have no one to blame but yourself.

And no, that cannot be your defense. You must somehow prove the officer wrong in his number of people or the if someone is family/over 25.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
be a man and own up to it, dont waste the courts time
The problem I have with this is the points, I'll gladly just pay for the fine but I just don't see ( never did ) what the passenger restriction is there for ( but nonetheless I followed it, although not religously ) and to top it off for it to carry points? Seems totally idiotic to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
If your class 5 test is in March, don't even worry about it. Do what I did.

Dispute it, wait until after you get your class 5, and then go into a MV branch and just pay up. I did that and everything worked out fine. Mind you I left it until I got my court date (almost a year later) and then didn't go, and just paid up.

you will NOT get a court date within 3 months. it's not possible, so just put the money aside (pay for the ticket) but only after you get your class 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
oh, and they will ask you when you take your test about that particular ticket because it will show up on the computer.

just keep the dispute papers and bring them with you, just let them know it's currently being disputed and they will let you take the test.

if you just don't pay it for 3 months without disputing it, they won't let you take the test because you have outstanding fees due to ICBC.

Thanks for the advice, cleared up a lot of questions I had. =] I think I just might do that, dispute, wait for class 5 and then just pay. Thanks for the help!
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
The problem I have with this is the points, I'll gladly just pay for the fine but I just don't see ( never did ) what the passenger restriction is there for ( but nonetheless I followed it, although not religously ) and to top it off for it to carry points? Seems totally idiotic to me.

Thanks for the advice, cleared up a lot of questions I had. =] I think I just might do that, dispute, wait for class 5 and then just pay. Thanks for the help!

Part 1:
More passengers your age = more peer pressure. The peer pressure can make you feel more inclined to speed or to do risky stuff. That is why you have the 1 passenger rule. This is backed up by stats regardless of what you say. I know that it doesn't affect you like it does joe teen over there.

Part 2:
Good on you.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
I am grateful grapefruit

i remember specifically about an incident that happened with my high school gr 10 class. this was before the 1 passenger rule - a car with 5 seatbelts and 6 people was driving to the driving range for gym class. the exact quote is "hey, how fast do you think you can take that roundabout?" the car ended up smoking a tree - with pretty serious injuries to everybody in the car.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I agree with you.. I think it's stupid. While I missed the whole "graduated licencing" program by, oh.. a few years... I still think that's the dumbest part of the whole works.

Ontario recently passed a law similar to the BC graduated licencing program... but they specifically DIDN'T pass the part about having only 1 passenger. I wonder if some pressure on your MP might help??? Doing something about it is better than breaking it.

But until then.. the law is the law.