REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

Behind the Wheel - Be Prepared for Trouble

It's easy to become complacent. I remember putting chains on my father's tow truck and plowing snow with the front bumper at 30 mph to go and drag a hapless motorist back onto the highway. I also remember my time in northern BC where one didn't leave the driveway without a shovel, tow rope, extra winter clothing, tools and a collection of small spare parts at this time of year. So, how am I doing today here on Vancouver Island?

Two weeks ago my normal 20 minute commute turned into a 2 hour journey that ended 25 meters short of my driveway in about 25 cm of snow. Would I have made it all the way if I had winter tires on my truck instead of all season tires with a blocky tread? Maybe, but I'll bet that if I had a set of chains the trip would have been one hour or less instead of 2 and I would not have had to rely on the push of two neighbours.

Mental note to self, research and buy a good set of chains after the stores recover from the panic buying of last week.

Yes, I still carry booster cables, a first aid kit, tools, spares, flares, triangles, blanket, cell phone, ham radio and I had a shovel with me, but I didn't have a tow rope nor those chains that I might only use once a year if I'm unlucky. I also stopped carrying candles when I left the north. Sadly, this left me unable to look after myself that day.

It may also have left me unable to provide help for others. Having had that expected of me for 25 years leaves me feeling kind of foolish now. I know that I can't expect "the government" to provide everything but as I said, it easy to become complacent. Time to smarten up and like the Scout I once was, be prepared!

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'd like to point out here that if you're going to get chains, read and abide by the instructions. Don't exceed 35km/h, don't drive on bare pavement. At best you're going to destroy your chains, at worst you're going to injure someone when they come flying off.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
racing & tech mod.

I really think these posts should be in the general VAC or Offtopic forums.

They are a goldmine of valuable advice and this sub-forum doesn't get enough traffic.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

I thought chains were illegal to have?
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^now where did you hear that from?

they are perfectly legal when used properly i guess. Use them on snow. once on pavement take them off. easy as that.
bikerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Good reminder, Skidmark.

Even outside of winter time, it's a good thing to be prepared. I always do my best to carry a bunch of emergency stuff in my car (jumper cables, first aid kit, blanket, water and food, and a tow rope). You never know what sort of situation you may find yourself in while at the most inconvenient time and location.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

In what conditions can I put chains on? I heard you can't go over 30km/h, there must be snow, and you can't go on the bridge with them.

But I have to agree, you have to be prepared even when the sun is out.
Rikaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

There's a white new gen civic with DIY chains on one tire at work, it's pretty funny to stare at all day, but the lot we park in is plowed, so i dunno why he keeps it on one tire
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerx View Post
^now where did you hear that from?

they are perfectly legal when used properly i guess. Use them on snow. once on pavement take them off. easy as that.
Not sure where I heard that. Maybe its something I misunderstood thats been with me for years. Also helps I've never really seen a car with chains on until this december.
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I'd like to point out here that if you're going to get chains, read and abide by the instructions. Don't exceed 35km/h, don't drive on bare pavement. At best you're going to destroy your chains, at worst you're going to injure someone when they come flying off.

+1!

Please inspect your chains if you have been using them for a while. Weak points = break when you least F***ing expect it = Scary
Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

excuse me, but what is the practical use of the rope or chain?
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,584 Times in 4,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro32 View Post
I thought chains were illegal to have?
the old semi V bar ones are illegal most vehicles are unable to run those tho
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #13
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hear-it-first View Post
excuse me, but what is the practical use of the rope or chain?
Chains are installed over your drive tires (like a tire jacket) and they act like super aggressive tread that grabs into packed, deep snow. They are required to be with you when travelling on certain roads in BC during the winter, and they must be installed when conditions require them.

Also, you must remove them before driving on bare roads, as they will get damaged on bare pavement, and they will damage the pavement. Additionally, you can only travel at slow speeds with them.

These are not "suggestions" but REQUIREMENTS that everyone is supposed to be doing. I know this is vancouver, and it doesn't snow a lot, but it still amazes me how many people don't take this shit seriously. Oh well, at least it gives the body shops and auto industry more business....

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 01-01-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote