REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Nation: Beyond The GVRD > Island Automotive Chat

Island Automotive Chat Victoria to Port Hardy and everything in between
For all your island car related talk.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
door adjustment 2008 civic

Anybody know how to adjust the door latch on a 2008 civic sedan?
I loosened the hook on the pillar but it doesn't have any room for adjustment. I also tried loosening the latch mechanism in the door but again no adjustment possible.

I want to pull the door in 1 or 2 mm to try to get rid of some wind noise. I'm getting a whistle/sucking sound coming from the top of the window frame. There's a bit of a divot in the sheetmetal where the noise originates, so I'm hoping pulling the door in slightly will help. The other door is pulled in slightly more than this noisy door as well. So it definitely has room to move.

The door hook on the pillar screws on with two big screws. Behind the sheetmetal there's a plate it screws into. That plate looks like it's spotwelded in place on one side. So it can't move side to side, but it does bend inwards. Do I have to wiggle it until the weld breaks free? Or is there a hidden way to adjust this behind a panel or something?
Advertisement
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
StewartJD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 558
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, i've read a lot of wind noise problems on civics on 8thcivic.com/forums. Try that website if you haven't already!
__________________
'12 BMW 328i
'08 Honda Civic Si
'95 Ford Probe GT
StewartJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody there knows anything!
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 301
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it the dealer and bitch.. It's the dealers problem. Plus, It is safer to do that than unleashing your own brand of ham-fisted boobery.

Last edited by ChrisStang; 01-02-2009 at 03:05 PM.
ChrisStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Island Mod
 
projectcivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 6,179
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
to adjust the door the manual says its from the latch. the manual says you need to remove the front inner fender liner and that gives you access to the latch bolts. That is the way Honda recommends adjusting the front doors on 2008 Civics. They also make note there is adjusting bolts that can be used in place of the factory installed bolts, part number 90102-SFA-305.
My question for you is why haven't you taken it to Honda? no warranty or something?
__________________
1993 Civic Si - b18c1

Last edited by projectcivic; 01-02-2009 at 03:17 PM.
projectcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Hondatech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Campus Honda
Posts: 3,019
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this one of the doors that was damaged when you got hit?
__________________
2001 Infiniti QX4
Hondatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisStang View Post
Take it the dealer and bitch.. It's the dealers problem. Plus, It is safer to do that than unleashing your own brand of ham-fisted boobery.
I'm very careful.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatech View Post
Nope, it's my driver's side. I think you might have looked at it. I had a slurping/chirping sound on the highway. I got it back and the service desk told me "could not reproduce". I was also in for the rear tires tramlining. I'm getting the alignment checked this week.

There is a divot in the bodywork at the top of the roof where the door frame rests. Some kind of factory screwup in the paintjob I guess. This door (drivers) sits out about 1 to 2 mm more than the passenger side door. If it was adjusted in a little tiny bit it might get rid of this irritating noise as the rubber seals might do a better job around the top of the window.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcivic View Post
to adjust the door the manual says its from the latch. the manual says you need to remove the front inner fender liner and that gives you access to the latch bolts. That is the way Honda recommends adjusting the front doors on 2008 Civics. They also make note there is adjusting bolts that can be used in place of the factory installed bolts, part number 90102-SFA-305.
My question for you is why haven't you taken it to Honda? no warranty or something?
The latch is on the center pillar. It's not near the front fender. I think you're thinking about the front hinge.

I've already taken the car in. Honda seems to only fix major and obvious mechanical problems. (But only after many years, just look into the 3rd gear issues that many people had with their RSX, and 8th gen Civics) My dash buzzes like a $5 toy when I hit V-Tec as well and they won't even try to fix it. The manager at Campus Honda told me I just have to live with it after I showed him the noise. I bought this car because I love the sound of the engine. Now all I hear is that stupid dash buzzing like a piece of shit. It's Honda Canada's policies I think, I even had their second level support personnel tell me they won't fix my dash.

I can lightly hit my dash with my fist and hear it vibrate inside, something's obviously loose in there.

It's funny because when I owned a Dodge they always had no problem fixing anything I had an issue with. They really took care of you. Honda on the other hand has really let me down.

They do advertise a bumper to bumper warranty. It's really frustrating.

Last edited by rob76; 01-05-2009 at 05:12 AM.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The plate the door latch attaches to should float within the pillar. Yet it doesn't. How the heck do you adjust this thing?

Also, I'd much rather spend 5 minutes making a simple adjustment myself than have to take the car in to a dealership for the day. The dealerships here don't even provide courtesy rides. It's just a huge pain in the ass. Plus you end up getting your car back with door dings and marks because they park your car with all the people coming and going for the showroom. Don't even get me started on the wash job they do. One time the guy probably only did about half my car and there were huge sections on the side of the car left dirty. I had to go home and wash my car myself because it was an embarrassment to drive.

Last edited by rob76; 01-05-2009 at 05:20 AM.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: victoria
Posts: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76 View Post
The plate the door latch attaches to should float within the pillar. Yet it doesn't. How the heck do you adjust this thing?

Also, I'd much rather spend 5 minutes making a simple adjustment myself than have to take the car in to a dealership for the day. The dealerships here don't even provide courtesy rides. It's just a huge pain in the ass. Plus you end up getting your car back with door dings and marks because they park your car with all the people coming and going for the showroom. Don't even get me started on the wash job they do. One time the guy probably only did about half my car and there were huge sections on the side of the car left dirty. I had to go home and wash my car myself because it was an embarrassment to drive.

sounds like you might be a bit of a whiner
hondaguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice attitude, considering it's where you work.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: victoria
Posts: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob76 View Post
Nice attitude, considering it's where you work.
I dont work there buddy.

I have been reading this forum for quite a while and just noticed alot of you posts are negative and simply stated a fact. Sorry for stating the obvious.

I do work in retail sales and you know there are some people that just simply cant be made happy, and must then in turn cut down the places they have been too. Its a sad world at times.

It is a good thing every one has opinions

just my 2 cents

Last edited by hondaguy73; 01-23-2009 at 07:09 AM.
hondaguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh I guess we should all just accept everything as being perfect. Why improve anything? I guess that's why everything is so shitty in this city. Because of the sheep who live here.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: victoria
Posts: 14
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
again the negativity

have a positive outlook and be pleasant and people are more willing to help.

things happen..things get fixed..when people are nice and positive you get more help...my advice.

I spent $70000 on a new boat, it had a few issues, I went in 2 days after buying and asked for some repairs NICELY, what is the point getting worked up and cutting places down. My boat got fixed.....its only $$$

Last edited by hondaguy73; 01-23-2009 at 01:16 PM.
hondaguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #16
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I bet you would have been pissed if they told you they were too busy to address your concerns. Perhaps money doesn't matter to you because you have too much of it.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Island Mod
 
projectcivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 6,179
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again you are missing the point! Why are these business all telling you they are "too busy" to deal with your problem? The writing is on the wall. Think about it man.
__________________
1993 Civic Si - b18c1
projectcivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria
Posts: 75
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One business. Continental, because the owner is retiring next year, selling his business and is just trying to rush through as many jobs as he can handle.

Also, I've heard your point. However, I tend not to take advice from uneducated kids.
rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net