REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
Opinions on dropping fat w/ limited cardio

Im curious to hear what you guys think about this, as I'm designing a new program

It would seem that resistance training burns the most fat - when you're at rest, you're burning more after a good heavy workout sesh, so over time with a good resistance routine one should be burning away fat.
In the past, I have done a lot of stuff which is supposed to aid in burning fat. Lots of cardio, varying from short (10 minutes after workout) to long (track and field training + gym). My most recent was interval training (sprint/jog transitions) after a workout.

What I discovered was that my V02 max and endurance for running skyrocketed within about 4 or 5 weeks of consistent interval training, and after 7 weeks I was in excellent shape for sprinting and running. But I found that in terms of fat loss, I was staying relatively the same.

Just for reference, I'm not looking to lose a ton here - I'm 5'9" 175 when built, but I dropped about 10lbs off that and replaced it with 5-10lbs of fat over a 3mnth break. I want to drop to 10% bodyfat if possible

So is the cardio really important here? Or should I be focusing on the weight routine and diet as the most important?

suggestions everyone/anyone?

edit: taking a look at http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/s...ad.php?t=19229 as suggested by Illuminate right now, but still want to hear from you guys
Advertisement

Last edited by Powerslide; 01-02-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Well if you want to get to 10%, you have to work that much harder IMO so I would also add in cardio. If you've been on a 3 month break, wait for a while before you start though because you'd just end up tired everyday. Change your diet first because it's the most important and start resistance training again
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
dm0kk

I dropped about 20lb in a 3-4 month time span in the past month. I only did cardio for about 2 weeks before I tried losing weight by lifting weights hard and keeping my diet in check. No cardio worked for me, but everybody's different. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Circuit training
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

carb cycling
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

swimming
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
I don't get it

diet is one but sure you have that already planned.

go heavy on the weights do at least 20-30mins of cardio 3-4 times after weight lifting at a moderate rate, maybe 60-75% heartrate, just to keep a good pace.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

don't eliminate cardio altogether. cardio training is the single most important type of training. it will do more for your overall health than any other type of training.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

diet!
GTO-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Diet has to be a majority factor of the weight loss...

Since i came back from holidays (nov 1), i have been at the gym 3-4 times a week. Every session included 40 minutes of cardio on two peices of equipment.

Sure i feel great, and playing hockey feels a lot better....but weight-wise, probably only lost 5 pounds since i came back (but also to put into consideration that we just finished buffet season during the holidays too).
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Do crossfit.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote