REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #51
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Isn't that kind of like locking the driver's door and leaving the others unlocked?
What?

I'm confused.
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #52
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Do you not believe that it is important for other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians to see the driver?

If you come flying up to a stop sign at an intersection where I have the right of way only a couple of car lengths away, I'm either going to hit the brakes possibly triggering a rear-ender or swerve to avoid you. If I can see what you are looking at, I can better prepare for the situation. Making yourself invisible to other road users is asking for trouble.
Well if anybody comes flying at a stop sign that like that I don't think it would matter if it's tinted or not. Where do you think he'll be looking at? At the stop sign he just noticed or you? Also how many people come flying up to a stop sign?
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #53
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMx View Post
light and vision are different things. look at the video in this post http://www.revscene.net/forums/showp...3&postcount=32 he's got 5% tint in the side windows and yet you can see VERY clearly through it. if you can't, go get your vision checked. i was talking about limiting vision not the technical specs.

Do you really want to be that guy who is claiming that you can see 95% better by removing the 5% tint? (I gotta warn you, "that guy" comes with a clown outfit, a few missing teeth, a southern accent and a grade 5 education)
You don't see 95% better by removing the 5% tint; you see ~95% more light which translates to visibility.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:09 AM   #54
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
You don't see 95% better by removing the 5% tint; you see ~95% more light which translates to visibility.
This is the key: you can argue the mathematical semantics of just how much your vision is reduced by various levels of tint, but the fact remains, IT DOES REDUCE YOUR VISION. PERIOD. That's both illegal, and just plain unsafe.

I don't buy the arguments about being able to see the driver and make eye contact, though, because if that was an issue, sunglasses would be illegal as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #55
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Actually, I hate it when I have to deal with drivers with front tinted windows. The difference with sunglasses is that I can see him turn his head and therefore can deduce that he most likely sees me. When the front window is tinted, I can't see him/her at all and therefore have no clue what direction they are looking and whether there is a chance that they saw me or not.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #56
The "You'd Know" Moderator

I almost got t-boned by a landrover with front tint once when there was nothing blocking his vision of my car other than the front tint.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #57
I subscribe to Revscene

I have also instances where only a combination of sun, clouds and reflected trees made it hard to see through the front side window of another car. Lack of tint does not guarantee that the driver can be seen.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #58
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Doesn't make it any better, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #59
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
I almost got t-boned by a landrover with front tint once when there was nothing blocking his vision of my car other than the front tint.
He was probably running for his life from some gang.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 PM   #60
RS Lurker, I don't post!

funny, everybody didnt really watch the fuck da police video, anyone notice something at 1:22? there's a gun there hahaha, i guess that tinted car might be a little dangerous
makomako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #61
I bringith the lowerballerith

Wow, I just re-watched that and saw it sitting in between the seat and the center console....
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #62
I don't get it

I heard the real reason why police don't allow front tint is because they can't see the guy and if he has a weapon or not, don't know if its true or not, but just something i heard
yamahar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #63
I bringith the lowerballerith

Because the other related safety issues mentioned in this thread are less important than whether or not a cop can see a gun... Usually, if we see a person in the vehicle has a gun, it will be because they let us see it and are planning on using it at that point.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #64
RS controls my life!

This argument that front window tint prevents an officer from seeing whether or not a person in the vehicle has a gun is completely nuts. So explain to me then if all the other windows that are behind the driver are tinted but not the front ones how is it easier for the officer to see whether or not there is a weapon in the car? Argument makes no sense... And the other statement that is violates a FEDERAL law that glass must shatter upon impact... well then why is tint allowed on front windows in various provinces and why do I see police vehicles with tinted windows?? I would love to see a study that proves that front tint actually is dangerous, increases the risk of accidents and entices criminals to break into cars... Much like the study that was done that showed that RHD cars are more likely to be in crashes for various reasons... (but amazingly enough RHD vehicles are allowed on our roads...)

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote