REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Front Tint

So I was driving home a buddy a couple of weeks ago and got busted for having front tint. the officer gave me a ticket for having it and an order to have it removed which i did which was all cool but I am just wondering if i disputed the ticket as i bought the car like that and didnt know it was illegal until it was too late what would be my chances?
Advertisement
natedawg90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
if u use that excuse, they would tell you why u didnt remove the tint when you purchased it.

only legal front tint are from cars with factory tint that protect UV rays.. *eg. most high end benz/european cars*

so if you drive a civic, or something, they wont take your dispute
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
^ they'll let you dispute... you just wont win, u could dispute and hope the cop dont show?
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyvious View Post
^ they'll let you dispute... you just wont win, u could dispute and hope the cop dont show?
And have the JP slap some more fines on you for wasting the court's time.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

I suppose that would really depend on whether it was true or not. If it wasn't, why risk lying to the court, which is a criminal offence, for a traffic ticket, which isn't?

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy89 View Post
if u use that excuse, they would tell you why u didnt remove the tint when you purchased it.

only legal front tint are from cars with factory tint that protect UV rays.. *eg. most high end benz/european cars*

so if you drive a civic, or something, they wont take your dispute
P.S. Not only do those High end europeans cars have them nowadays. Even the family cars from Honda and Toyota have them as well. Mine is sort of Blue...but it's so light and it is OEM .

Last edited by cococly; 01-03-2009 at 09:21 AM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
P.S. Not only do those High end europeans cars have them nowadays. Even the family cars from Honda and Toyota have them as well. Mine is sort of Blue...but it's so light and it is OEM .
that's back tint. no cars have them in the front and if they do it's extremely light tint (barely noticeable)

As to the OP, ignorance is not a excuse. not knowing the law is your fault but in most cases this is not true. a lot of people like to claim it was bought that way and if the judge smells lies on you and asks the party before you and they say "no" well say hello to a criminal record and perjury

Last edited by MegaMx; 01-03-2009 at 09:34 AM.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Yeah, and that's why I got a ticket in Sept 07. I'm going for my court date on the 13th. Took over a year to get court date. I only wish the officer knew that he could cancel the ticket without going to court. He already admitted that he was wrong. I still have to phone him to remind him to plead no contest as he told me to call him a week or two before the court date to remind him.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
I only wish the officer knew that he could cancel the ticket without going to court.
Why not tell him yourself? There is a form to use that he fills out and faxes to the ICBC Ticket Unit along with a photocopy of his copy of the ticket.

If he's going to write them, he may as well learn how to withdraw them when he makes a mistake.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #10

I've already taken the day off to go to court and he said he'd withdraw it. I don't want to risk anything going wrong so close to the court date. I might as well ask him I guess.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
lol... tint in the front, so dangerous driving at night. Some idiot almost made a right into me because he didn't see me comming... -.-'

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP

Last edited by skidmark; 01-03-2009 at 07:44 PM.
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvu View Post
lol... tint in the front, so dangerous driving at night. Some idiot almost made a right into me because he didn't see me comming... -.-'
i disagree... but thats just me...

I will say that until the smash and grab crime is reduced in this city (my non-tinted car was broken into on NYD) I will keep my windows tinted... can't see inside so it reduces temptation and a film on the back of the windows makes it harder to break the glass...

Until the auto crime is significantly reduced and other crime is reduced... tint should be a non issue... JUST MY TWO CENTS... I know it's the law blah blah... but its also illegal to smash my windows in and NOTHING is being done to keep these criminals off the streets... (not the P.O.'s fault, the judicial system is 100% to blame)

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM

Last edited by yvrnycracer; 01-04-2009 at 03:55 PM.
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
I will say that until the smash and grab crime is reduced in this city (my non-tinted car was broken into on NYD) I will keep my windows tinted... can't see inside so it reduces temptation and a film on the back of the windows makes it harder to break the glass...
If I were a thief, I think that I would be interested in the vehicles that I couldn't see into easily for just that reason, there must be something juicy inside that the owner doesn't want me to get.

It's a lousy reason for limiting your ability to see properly at night. That's my 2 cents worth now since I don't write the 10,900 cents worth for it anymore!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
If I were a thief, I think that I would be interested in the vehicles that I couldn't see into easily for just that reason, there must be something juicy inside that the owner doesn't want me to get.

It's a lousy reason for limiting your ability to see properly at night. That's my 2 cents worth now since I don't write the 10,900 cents worth for it anymore!
I doubt that based on everything I've learned in crim. People break in because they see something, not because they wonder if there is something on the other side otherwise people would be breaking into everything because they're curious if there's something there. On another note, thieves are smart enough to AVOID tinted cars for either of the few reasons:
1) he may have to buy crack from the probable drug dealer of the car (not saying all with tint are drug dealers but the ones with the pitch black tint probably are)
2) windows with tint don't shatter and fall apart like windows without tint. They would have to smash it and then start pulling at the glass that's being held up by tint. kind of like the following window but on a smaller scale http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzRcX_VC3rs

Last edited by MegaMx; 01-04-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I can see the different sides of the story. For one it can be dangerous if it is dark out but it can have some security purposes too it just sucks that it is illegal. But where I live people are getting busted for having tint when drivers with HID kits in there cars get away with it. I don't know about anyone else here but i think those are worse than front tint especially on trucks, they blind you and im pretty sure that could cause a car accident easier than having front tint
natedawg90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
CRS

Quote:
i disagree... but thats just me...

Until the auto crime is significantly reduced and other crime is reduced... tint should be a non issue... JUST MY TWO CENTS... I know it's the law blah blah... but its also illegal to smash my windows in and NOTHING is being done to keep these criminals off the streets... (not the P.O.'s fault, the judicial system is 100% to blame)
Yeah! Lets risk other drivers or innocent pedestrians lives because I don't feel like I want to lose some cash! Smash and grab? Yeah! Lets tint my window so the thieves can't see in. Who cares if I can't see out? I'm not trying to steal shit from the outside! I can't see other things clearly either, but who cares! Thieves won't be jacking me tonight!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 01-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

i also got pulled over for front tint.. removed it a few days later, still need to get it inspected..

edit: and pay the ticket.

Last edited by GordonTse; 01-05-2009 at 10:55 PM.
GordonTse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Yeah! Lets risk other drivers or innocent pedestrians lives because I don't feel like I want to lose some cash! Smash and grab? Yeah! Lets tint my window so the thieves can't see in. Who cares if I can't see out? I'm not trying to steal shit from the outside! I can't see other things clearly either, but who cares! Thieves won't be jacking me tonight!
You do realize that even very dark tint only limits your vision by 10% or so? You're referring to it as if somebody took black paint and just painted all the windows. I had tint on for almost 6 years of my driving, not anymore, and I have NEVER come into a situation where I had trouble spotting something, reading something or noticing something.

But if we are going with the route that tint limits vision so terribly how come people are allowed to drive at night with their sunglasses on? Why are they allowed to drive with them on during the day and without sun? That's a handful times worse than tint in terms of limiting vision.

PS: I'm not endorsing tint, I don't have tint anymore but just understanding both sides.

Last edited by MegaMx; 01-06-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
*sigh* I miss boxeraddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

From my observation of the trend, it seems that tint is out. Most cars look much cleaner without a shade of tint, but that's just my observation. I de-tinted the 2 year limo tint in my car by myself last week. I don't miss it a bit.
CruisingDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #21
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I miss my front tint, went 5 years with no problems then a newbie cop from winnipeg who had to remove his ragged on me
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #22
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMx View Post
You do realize that even very dark tint only limits your vision by 10% or so? You're referring to it as if somebody took black paint and just painted all the windows. I had tint on for almost 6 years of my driving, not anymore, and I have NEVER come into a situation where I had trouble spotting something, reading something or noticing something.

But if we are going with the route that tint limits vision so terribly how come people are allowed to drive at night with their sunglasses on? Why are they allowed to drive with them on during the day and without sun? That's a handful times worse than tint in terms of limiting vision.

PS: I'm not endorsing tint, I don't have tint anymore but just understanding both sides.
Part 1:
I would like to see what you're referencing or what your source is. I find it hard to believe that it only limits 10% of vision (even at 10% that is quite a bit) and of course, it would depend on the severity of the tint but if it is good enough to block out thieves, I'm sure it will cause more than 10% vision loss. Again, I would like to see your reference or source.

Part 2:
Very good point. I'd suggest bringing something like that up with your MP. You're not going to get anything changed just sitting here and complaining what is worse. Sure murder is worse than domestic abuse, but does that mean domestic abuse isn't bad?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #23
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

first...

Secondly... put yourself in the shoes of the average crack head who is running along a street keeping his eyes open for an easy score for his next hit... what is he going to do... smash something that MAY have something inside drawing attention to himself by gambling smashing a car that he can't see in? Or a car where he can see in and maybe spot something... Would you rather buy a lottery ticket where you know 4 out of the 6 numbers will hit or taking a chance for 0 out of the 6...

If tint is SO dangerous why do five provinces allow it? Why do 48 states allow tint in some shape or form and no less than 50 allow it for medical reasons?! Our neighbor to the south allows 35% tint. Why are high end luxury cars equipped with tinted glass?

My point stands... until the small crime that plagues our and surrounding areas tinted glass should not be a priority. When I have an RCMP officer in the same area spend an hour and a half with me explaining why tint is bad (even though he had tinted glass when he lived in ontario) when in that same jurisdiction I can't get an officer to take a report after my car gets broken into things are wrong. By that instance and observation, for them TINT is more of a problem than someone breaking into a car. Same can be said for my friend who was mugged on the same block of a supposed "nice neighborhood". And the notion that drug dealers drive around with tinted windows is insane. Why would someone engaging in illegal activities want to give the police a reason to stop them?!

And to address the idea that you reduce your vision of pedestrians etc at night by having tinted glass. When you are down to 5% tint, your vision is reduced but overall having tinted glass in most cases enhances vision. On a dark, rainy night the glare from other cars headlights is greatly reduced by having tinted glass. This is the same reason why other countries cars have tinted mirrors etc. because it actually enhances what your a able to see.

And yes... why aren't more people with HID kits getting busted... that is far more dangerous tinted windows could ever be...

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #24
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
And the notion that drug dealers drive around with tinted windows is insane. Why would someone engaging in illegal activities want to give the police a reason to stop them?!
You'd be surprised....
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #25
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
You'd be surprised....

Agreed. I still haven't figured out why so many people with stuff to hide have so many illegal modifications on their cars.

Last edited by Five-Oh; 01-07-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote