REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   car theif beat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559170-car-theif-beat.html)

johny 01-03-2009 07:29 PM

car theif beat

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

in winnipeg

Lynch-mob justice
Vigilantes gloat online about beating car thief
By ROSS ROMANIUK, SUN MEDIA
Last Updated: 3rd January 2009, 2:04am

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/l...p_image001.jpg
One of the photos posted of the man who was allegedly beaten as a suspected car thief. The Sun has obscured his identity. (Winnipegheights.com)
An apparent case of vigilantism -- with photographs of the incident posted online -- has prompted city police to take a close look at the response by several St. Boniface citizens to a series of attempted vehicle break-ins.
Police said yesterday that investigators will probe a New Year's Day confrontation that resulted in images being posted online of a 21-year-old man bloody and bruised on the ground and surrounded by several people -- some of whom had beaten him as they emerged from a Horace Street house party.
The incident was described on the Internet message board WinnipegHeights.com, with some of the people involved -- mostly anonymous -- proudly discussing what happened.
"Now your first thought when seeing the pics of the guy bleeding is that we gave him a beating he'll never forget, but that would be illegal," one man wrote.
He said he noticed someone breaking into a friend's car up the block about 1:30 a.m. that day. After running back to the house to call his friend, the man said he returned to find the would-be thief trying to break into his own running vehicle, with his wife and two-year-old child inside. A struggle ensued.
"He must have 'fallen' in the struggle and smashed his face into our boots," the man added in the online thread, dubbed "us 1 -- dirty indian thief 0".
The man said he wanted to dump water on the injured man but was restrained by neighbours, and that someone had a rope and was "going to put it around his throat and drag him down to the river."
The thread, which has since been removed from the website, contained at least one other racial slur. In a separate thread called "Heights Is Famous", members complained the media was trying to turn the incident into a racial issue.
Others who were there that morning added posts that pointed to their pride and amusement regarding the incident.
"Haha my knuckles are on ice this morning ...," wrote Rahim, who later spoke to the Winnipeg Sun.
"It's pretty much the definition of a vigilante attack, but I wouldn't say it was much of an attack," Rahim said, adding he uses only one name.
He said up to about five men surrounded the alleged would-be thief and a few of them struck him before police responded.
"Most of the people there, though, were circling the guy to keep him from getting away," Rahim said. "At one point, he tried to tackle one of the guys."
Two photos of the bloodied man lying on the ground were also posted on the website.
He was later taken away by officers, questioned and eventually released because of a lack of evidence.
Const. Jason Michalyshen said officers will take a closer took at the actions of the residents.
"We're going to be investigating that further -- about the pictures and just the whole incident itself," he said.
Rick Linden, a University of Manitoba criminology professor, said citizens walk a fine legal line when confronting and holding a suspect.

orange7 01-03-2009 10:16 PM

I wish it is legal to beat up car thieves right when they are caught stealing a car.

mickz 01-03-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6204655)
I wish it is legal to beat up car thieves right when they are caught stealing a car.

I'm pretty sure the police will believe you if you tell them the thief "accidentally" got out of the car, "accidentally" ran into your fists and "accidentally" fell on the pavement.

Soundy 01-03-2009 11:31 PM

"He accidentally fell on his own knife!"
"Seventeen times???"

1990TSI 01-03-2009 11:39 PM

success story of the year

El Bastardo 01-04-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 6204420)
"He must have 'fallen' in the struggle and smashed his face into our boots," the man added in the online thread, dubbed "us 1 -- dirty indian thief 0".

Somehow I don't think they're talking about the virtually nonexistant brown population in Winnipeg. The guy looks a little too light skinned to be apna.

yuusha 01-04-2009 12:29 AM

And he was released on lack of evidence...? At least they beat his ass before the cops came.

Drift_Monkey 01-04-2009 03:03 AM

good shit...

the theif deserves the beating

Soundy 01-04-2009 03:29 AM

[youtube]70VO330jwnM[/youtube]

hk20000 01-04-2009 03:48 AM

^ genius, just genius.

03aspec 01-04-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Los Bastardo (Post 6204847)
Somehow I don't think they're talking about the virtually nonexistant brown population in Winnipeg. The guy looks a little too light skinned to be apna.

hes a native indian, all of us apnay's who were smart, left winnipeg, such as my family

Black SC2 01-04-2009 11:48 AM

Good for them.

trdees 01-04-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03aspec (Post 6205045)
hes a native indian, all of us apnay's who were smart, left winnipeg, such as my family

yes.... you were the wise one... crying wolf

Chopstick 01-04-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6205014)
[youtube]70VO330jwnM[/youtube]

lol!

hotjoint 01-04-2009 03:05 PM

they need to get the shit kicked outta them

ericthehalfbee 01-04-2009 03:09 PM

Those guys are going to get charged with assault.

Did everyone miss where the police released the suspect because of a lack of evidence? The "vigilantes" claim they saw the guy breaking into cars. So why didn't the "car thief" get charged? Surely several people catching a car thief in the act is good enough "evidence". What about the vehicles? Were his prints on the vehicles? Where there tool marks or damage to the vehicles to show someone was trying to enter them? Did they recover andy break & enter tools at the scene or on the "thief"?

These guys are obviously a bunch of racists given the comments they made. They probably saw some Indian walking up the road, beat his ass for no reason other than they're racist assholes, and came up with the "car thief" story to cover their asses.

El Bastardo 01-04-2009 03:18 PM

I doubt it was entirely racially motivated. And they don't exactly do a full CSI workup on a simple car break and enter. That powder shit is expensive.

They probably had tons of eye witnesses but the beating his ass took would've made the whole thing a very sticky situation as far as the law goes so they used "Lack of evidence" as an excuse for "You got punished, and we don't have to do extra paperwork, gtfo"

BNR32_Coupe 01-04-2009 03:39 PM

What if they beat a random native guy 'cause they're racist and claimed that he tried to steal a car as an excuse..

tough 01-04-2009 05:00 PM

good job

shenmecar 01-04-2009 05:08 PM

owned!

Marco911 01-05-2009 04:22 PM

Lack of evidence = didn't actually get caught driving a stolen car.

Nvasion 01-05-2009 04:50 PM

so what would happen if i saw some1 steal my car and i beat their brains out?

LowTEC 01-05-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvasion (Post 6207641)
so what would happen if i saw some1 steal my car and i beat their brains out?

you will get your ass raped in jail, every night, dropping the soap or not :thumbsup:

Nvasion 01-05-2009 06:14 PM

fuck i dont wanna get raped... i wanna rape the BOSS! fuck that shit... i know if i saw someone breaking into my car id shit kick him with a fucking bat( if i had one)

MarkyMark 01-05-2009 06:30 PM

^^ You're in Canada go ahead and beat them with a bat, you'll get house arrest at worst, especially if your record is clean.