REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
LCD TV with hissing sound from speakers

I recently bought a 32" Sony Bravia (32L4000) LCD HDTV and I'm noticing a hiss from the speakers. Its not very loud but I have pretty sensitive hearing and its annoying. The TV sits in a pretty empty room so the hiss is somewhat amplified. Think air very slowly leaking out of a tire.

It will not go away with channel changes or input source changes. It only goes away if I mute the TV speakers or turn up the volume louder to drown it out.

- Settings all default
- Regular Cable (coming from a split source)
- No electronic objects near the TV/plugged into its own power bar.

This is my first lcd as i finally got rid of 16 yr old TV. Now, is this hiss normal with lcd tv's? Thanks
Advertisement
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:42 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
how loud is the hissing? split source, are you talking about those Radioshack video splitter?

My 32" Sharp has similar hissing problem with Shaw, but it wasn't really loud. I could
barely hear it when it's really really quiet. Then I ship it back to HK and it becomes my
Xbox only TV, never have hissing anymore.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
maybe the hissing is noise from the power source. r u using any power bars, surge protectors, line filters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
That sounds like electrical interference.

I would take a look at any electrical objects around the TV. Try isolating the TV in the room, no lights on, no other electronics on. An instructor of mine once found out that the cause of interference on a piece of equipment was the florescent lighting in the room.

FWIW, when I watch videos on the LCD from the PC, I usually have to crank up the volume - when nothing's playing, I hear the hissing noise too. I suspect that's what you're hearing as well - though under different circumstances.

edit, You should also consider exchanging the LCD from where you bought it. Could be defective.

Last edited by nns; 01-04-2009 at 09:07 AM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #5

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
i'm guessing you're using a analog coaxial cable for your current signal?

I had a terrible banding issue on my PS3 (connected via component) when i had Shaw coaxial cable plugged in with the TV. It was definately an interference problem. Along with it, was the hissing noise coming from the speakers.

I fixed it by buying the HDMI cable for PS3 and the problem was solved.

So is this happening on your cable, or on other players' signal?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-04-2009 at 10:31 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
rb
Network Admin Team

Thanked 1,532 Times in 534 Posts
thanks for the replies

- There is nothing else plugged into any inputs on the TV. Only an analog coaxial cable for the current signal. However, even if i switch to inputs to a blank screen, i still get a hiss.

- Its plugged into a power bar with nothing else connected. I have tried isolating it with nothing else connected/powered in the room with lights off. Still the hiss.

- The cable is coming from a splitter as a Asian XL posted.

Guess i might try to exchange it but i dont know if there's any stock left. Anyways, thanks for the help.
rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Try unplugging the analog coaxial cable and see if the changes anything. Switch to an unused input at the same time.

You can sometimes get noise from two grounds.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #8

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I had bad experience with radio shack / Can tire video splitter

move your TV to a different room and see if problem exists...
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Try unplugging the analog coaxial cable and see if the changes anything. Switch to an unused input at the same time.

You can sometimes get noise from two grounds.
I agree.

Disconnect the coax cable (Shaw) cable. If the hiss stops, you've a ground loop. If you have a ground loop caused by the Shaw cable connection, you can get something called an isolation transformer:

http://www.rpelectronics.com/English...ems/75-504.asp

Note that this will attenuate the cable signal a bit. Also, the linked item is marked "not for digital signal use" so it might not be useful if you have, or are planning on having, a Shaw box behind it.

The only thing that throws me is this: if you mute the TV, the hissing stops... If you do have a ground loop, the hiss or hum will always be there as long as the ground loop is there.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,961 Times in 3,892 Posts
plug it straight into the wall, lights off, no inputs, and see if it still hisses.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
get an LG 32" for the $20 cheaper - - -

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote