REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Winter gas + low viscosity oil = knocking ?

My car developed early morning knocking when starting the car. I wonder if any of you have the same problem?

supposingly, low viscosity oil pumps better in the freezing cold (OEM 0W40 vs heavy side of 5W30) , but the winter gas maybe the contributing factor to detonation/knocking problem on my engine. Engine is a 2000' Mercedes M113 V8 engine with hydraulic valve lifters.

Any thoughts?
Advertisement
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I can't think of any way a different oil would cause knocking, especially not a lower-viscosity oil in colder weather. I'd look for another cause that may be weather-related or at least weather-initiated... maybe an under-body O2 sensor damaged by the snow (not entirely sure how that would cause knocking either, just thinking about a sensor that could have weather-related damage).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I know they put antifreezing agents in fuel which does bring down their knock resistance. So while i'd make more power via feeding colder air to the turbos, i'd also lose power up to because of knock.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEB View Post
My car developed early morning knocking when starting the car. I wonder if any of you have the same problem?

supposingly, low viscosity oil pumps better in the freezing cold (OEM 0W40 vs heavy side of 5W30) , but the winter gas maybe the contributing factor to detonation/knocking problem on my engine. Engine is a 2000' Mercedes M113 V8 engine with hydraulic valve lifters.

Any thoughts?

it's a 2000, so it's getting up there in age. add the hydraulic lifters into the equation, and they might be the culprit.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Where do you fuel up?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Where do you fuel up?
I mis-read that at first glance, as "Where do you feel up?"
Quote:
Old 01-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Lower viscosity should not have anything to do with knock or detonation.
The cooler air means denser air so that might have something to do with it. But the knock, you said it was at start up, is it still there when you are driving? I would suggest it is your lifters due to lack of lubrication that is the culprit. The thinner oil stays thin in the winter and so there is a chance that the oil might have run down into the oil pan so the first few seconds after start up, there is no lubrication in the top end of the motor.

On other motors, I have heard of people who get timing chain/lifter noises when they run 10W30 but the noise is gone when they run 5W30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I can imagine that slight knocking on the engine when it is not at operating temps is normal. that's the way my car is anyways, and it's a normal thing for 4AGEs to do that when they are first started up.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Where do you fuel up?

fill up at chevron 92 gas in Richmond most of the time....
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Lower viscosity should not have anything to do with knock or detonation.
The cooler air means denser air so that might have something to do with it. But the knock, you said it was at start up, is it still there when you are driving? I would suggest it is your lifters due to lack of lubrication that is the culprit. The thinner oil stays thin in the winter and so there is a chance that the oil might have run down into the oil pan so the first few seconds after start up, there is no lubrication in the top end of the motor.

On other motors, I have heard of people who get timing chain/lifter noises when they run 10W30 but the noise is gone when they run 5W30.
the knocking last more than a few second.... it's more like a few minutes !
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

my car was knocking the other day too..
now its gone... duno why :S
ChyahGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
If you gas it a bit when you start it up and the knocking sound occurs, does it go away?

Are you sure the engine is knocking or is it making knocking-like sounds?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

chances are no...you're in Vancouver, not the Arctic Circle. I lived in Kamloops for 2 years, Grande Prairie, (Northern Alberta) for 1.5 yrs and now Edmonton...cars seem to do just fine in -55C, so I think you're dealing with a bigger problem than just the cold...
OffroadZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Its a 2008 Merc, take it to the dealer, tell them the issue.

If it’s Detonation that’s fuel/air related.

If it’s mechanical knocking (rod, bearing ect) that oil related, or you spun a bearing, something to that effect.

Try a couple of things.

1) Run the car down as low as you can on gas, then run a really high octane fuel. 94 octane should work. If the knocking goes away, the only thing I can figure is on start up the car has so much colder dense air going in that the computer cant compensate with the fuel for where it wants to burn, and your getting knock. That’s a LONG shot, but I guess it’s possible (although I have never heard of anything like it). Maybe the air becomes warm enough just as the car heats up from being heated in the manifold? But if a higher grade fuel fixes it, there is your fix. Although I would still ask the dealership why that is, as that seems pretty far fetched, even in my head. Detonation sounds like rocks hitting the underside of the car in most cases, its not really a “knocking” noise. And in a 2000 Merc, I would expect the computer makes detonation almost impossible. Maybe an o2 needs to be replaced, as its not reading correctly until warmed up?

2) Change your oil, and run what the manual recommends in this temp range. Most manuals will recomend diffrent oils for diffrent temps. Although most of the time the range is from -10 to +25 so you've got a lot of room. If that fixes it, then that was your problem. Just hope that it didn’t do any real major damage (although any engine "knocking" cannot be a good thing normally).

If none of this helps, take it to the dealership. I have absolutely no knowledge of hydrolic lifters, but I would expect if there where the problem you would be describing a tick, not a knock. However, any noise that just suddenly "starts" cant be a good thing.

My 2 cents

Last edited by 91civicZC; 01-07-2009 at 08:29 AM.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM   #15

Heheheh, what's the commercial with the mechanic doing the sound effects? "Does it sound like brrt brrt zzz bang bang?" "Yeah, that's it!" "Oh yeah, we can fix that."

Record the noise on video and put it on YouTube so we can diagnose it
Quote:
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadZuki View Post
chances are no...you're in Vancouver, not the Arctic Circle.
You haven't been around here the last month or so...
Quote:
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
You haven't been around here the last month or so...
You assume too much I have. It wasn't that bad.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91civicZC View Post
Its a 2008 Merc, take it to the dealer, tell them the issue.

If it’s Detonation that’s fuel/air related.

If it’s mechanical knocking (rod, bearing ect) that oil related, or you spun a bearing, something to that effect.

Try a couple of things.

1) Run the car down as low as you can on gas, then run a really high octane fuel. 94 octane should work. If the knocking goes away, the only thing I can figure is on start up the car has so much colder dense air going in that the computer cant compensate with the fuel for where it wants to burn, and your getting knock. That’s a LONG shot, but I guess it’s possible (although I have never heard of anything like it). Maybe the air becomes warm enough just as the car heats up from being heated in the manifold? But if a higher grade fuel fixes it, there is your fix. Although I would still ask the dealership why that is, as that seems pretty far fetched, even in my head. Detonation sounds like rocks hitting the underside of the car in most cases, its not really a “knocking” noise. And in a 2000 Merc, I would expect the computer makes detonation almost impossible. Maybe an o2 needs to be replaced, as its not reading correctly until warmed up?

2) Change your oil, and run what the manual recommends in this temp range. Most manuals will recomend diffrent oils for diffrent temps. Although most of the time the range is from -10 to +25 so you've got a lot of room. If that fixes it, then that was your problem. Just hope that it didn’t do any real major damage (although any engine "knocking" cannot be a good thing normally).

If none of this helps, take it to the dealership. I have absolutely no knowledge of hydrolic lifters, but I would expect if there where the problem you would be describing a tick, not a knock. However, any noise that just suddenly "starts" cant be a good thing.

My 2 cents

I've just changed the oil to PP and looking for a short OCI. Knocking still audible in the morning. But getting a little bit more quiet than before.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadZuki View Post
You assume too much I have. It wasn't that bad.
haha, ya... this may have been intense for life long Vancouverites, but nothing compared to northern Alberta or the prairies.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
I've just changed the oil to PP and looking for a short OCI. Knocking still audible in the morning. But getting a little bit more quiet than before.
if you are really concerned, and do not want to take it to the stealership, talk to eddy at flying tiger...im sure he can fix your problems.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
I would give the parts or service department a call at a Merc dealer and ask if in that car they recommend different oils for different outside temps. I can’t imagine the mild weather we have making a difference, but I dont know much about Mercs in General. If you changed the oil and the noise got quieter, I would be worried and get it checked out for sure. Something internal is knocking, and that’s not good. I would change the oil to something thicker, and then take it to someone who knows these motors to have it looked at, the sooner the better.

It may just be something stupid that we aren’t thinking of, but from your description, it doesn’t sound good. Does the knock change pace with the car? Meaning when you get on the gas, does the noise speed up?
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

wait...how old was the oil in your car? If it's been there long enough, it would have broken down and not provided enough viscosity (not temperature related, but temps would have affected it that extra little bit to make you notice it).

Regular oil changes w/ synthetic ftmfw.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #23
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

it could just be the fuel pump, since its working harder to warm up in the winter time. My car does this and is part of its normal characteristics
howy_999 is offline   Reply With Quote