REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Rの三乗
 
RCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,095
Thanked 3,323 Times in 510 Posts
Ticket for "More than one front plate"?

I have a Europlate and a BC plate on mounted on the front of my car, I got a ticket for "More than one front plate" 3.011(a).
Im wondering if this violation is actually valid? because I always see taxis with more than just the front plate as well.
Advertisement
__________________
artofstance
Check out my flickr!
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Rの三乗
 
RCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,095
Thanked 3,323 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
I have a Europlate and a BC plate on mounted on the front of my car, I got a ticket for "More than one front plate" 3.011(a).
Im wondering if this violation is actually valid? because I always see taxis with more than just the front plate as well.
This is the ticket:


This is my car:
__________________
artofstance
Check out my flickr!

Last edited by RCubed; 01-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Comox valley
Posts: 187
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
im waiting for skid to make a comment on this one. Doesn't make sense to me why that would be ilegal, Its not abstructing the other plate.
acidpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 703
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
This is the ticket:


This is my car:
Another officer fighting the good fight...

I can feel safer at night because you were ticketed for properly displaying your BC plate and a europlate... because europlates promote terrorism!
__________________
2007 DBP GLI: Bagged, BBK'd, Built 2.0T FSI w/GT3071R DSG w/ LSD FOR SALE

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,803
Thanked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Topic covered many times. Illegal.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
Another officer fighting the good fight...

I can feel safer at night because you were ticketed for properly displaying your BC plate and a europlate... because europlates promote terrorism!
I don't know what your problem is but the officer is just doing his job.

If he sees someone breaking the law, then he stops it and issues a fine (as punishment). I'm certain that if he saw a robbery in process or a murder, he would do the same thing.

*edit
You saying something like that is like saying "oh cops should only solve major crimes and forget everything else". They DO solve/investigate major crimes and small ones as well. "fighting the good fight" isn't only restricted to major things. Imagine everyone running around breaking "small" crimes. The world would be a lot worse.

Last edited by CRS; 01-07-2009 at 02:43 PM.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Rの三乗
 
RCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,095
Thanked 3,323 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misteranswer View Post
Topic covered many times. Illegal.
I did a search, all the topics here are about "no front plate" or "cutting plates" or "plate in the window".

My plate was displayed at the front of my vehicle, vertical to the ground unobstructed.

3.011(a)
Quote:
3.011 Number plates issued for a vehicle under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act must be attached

(a) one plate to the front and one plate to the rear of the vehicle, if 2 number plates are issued for a vehicle, and

(b) to the rear of the vehicle, if a single number plate is issued for a vehicle.
It states that if two plates are issued, one must be at the front and one in the rear. I have that fulfilled.
__________________
artofstance
Check out my flickr!

Last edited by RCubed; 01-07-2009 at 02:50 PM.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,803
Thanked 91 Times in 38 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=258719

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258743

http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462335
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
I would have used 13 (1)(c) of the MV Act instead as it is specific.

Offences
13 (1) A person commits an offence if the person drives, operates, parks or is in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer on a highway

(a) without the licence required by this Act for the operation of that motor vehicle or trailer having been first obtained and being then in force,

(b) without displaying on it, in the manner prescribed, the number plates issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer, or

(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 703
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I don't know what your problem is but the officer is just doing his job.

If he sees someone breaking the law, then he stops it and issues a fine (as punishment). I'm certain that if he saw a robbery in process or a murder, he would do the same thing.

*edit
You saying something like that is like saying "oh cops should only solve major crimes and forget everything else". They DO solve/investigate major crimes and small ones as well. "fighting the good fight" isn't only restricted to major things. Imagine everyone running around breaking "small" crimes. The world would be a lot worse.
This is why someone gets pulled over for something (I am not saying in this instance) whilst on one corner a drug deal is happening, which is something that violates the CRIMINAL CODE OF CANADA!!!! Explain to me how this officer is bettering society by harassing a driver who has a NOVELTY europlate while displaying CORRECTLY his front plate?! If he was running no front plate I would not be commenting on this but given the fact that the plate is being displayed, unobstructed is what really gets me going. I see countless dangerous acts being committed by drivers in front of PO's and nothing gets done. Why can you walk around in possession of illicit, illegal substances (I am not in agreement with possession being illegal but the point stands) and nothing is done about it, BUT if you have a europlate with the correct plate or other pointless violations (tint front plate) do you need to take 20 plus minutes of a PO's time to deal with something that affects no one else (kind of like the argument made to decriminalize possession of drugs its all the same).

and how does it violate 13 (1)(C) if he is displaying his ICBC issued plate in the manner prescribed?! This section would be used when someone is ONLY displaying a plate that is not supposed to be there?! At least that is how I interpret the law...
__________________
2007 DBP GLI: Bagged, BBK'd, Built 2.0T FSI w/GT3071R DSG w/ LSD FOR SALE

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
You or I don't interpret the laws...the Traffic Court JPs and Lawyers do.
The wording is quite clear.."other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of BC"...the Eurofake plate is not either designed or issued by ICBC. In certain circles...that type of illegal mod is known as a "heat seeker"

Last edited by zulutango; 01-07-2009 at 05:38 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
This is why someone gets pulled over for something (I am not saying in this instance) whilst on one corner a drug deal is happening, which is something that violates the CRIMINAL CODE OF CANADA!!!! Explain to me how this officer is bettering society by harassing a driver who has a NOVELTY europlate while displaying CORRECTLY his front plate?! If he was running no front plate I would not be commenting on this but given the fact that the plate is being displayed, unobstructed is what really gets me going. I see countless dangerous acts being committed by drivers in front of PO's and nothing gets done. Why can you walk around in possession of illicit, illegal substances (I am not in agreement with possession being illegal but the point stands) and nothing is done about it, BUT if you have a europlate with the correct plate or other pointless violations (tint front plate) do you need to take 20 plus minutes of a PO's time to deal with something that affects no one else (kind of like the argument made to decriminalize possession of drugs its all the same).

and how does it violate 13 (1)(C) if he is displaying his ICBC issued plate in the manner prescribed?! This section would be used when someone is ONLY displaying a plate that is not supposed to be there?! At least that is how I interpret the law...
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 91
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
nice euro plate.
you park at the dental building right?
weitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,451
Thanked 186 Times in 80 Posts
How does this work for commercial plates then? I'm just curious as I have one issued by the city of Vancouver for my work vehicle. I was given it with no documentation or information about the governing rules or restrictions.
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by CRS
I would make a comment in regards to your intelligence but I don't think that you would appreciate the full mockery of that comment.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
racing & tech mod.
 
Rich Sandor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,027
Thanked 491 Times in 183 Posts
Commercial Plates (and any other plate officially issued to you by the government) are allowed to be (supposed to be, actually) displayed alongside your normal plate.

NO OTHER PLATES ARE ALLOWED.

DECORATIVE PLATES ARE ILLEGAL.

end of story.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
racing & tech mod.
 
Rich Sandor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,027
Thanked 491 Times in 183 Posts
I ran with this plate for a little while on my red car, for the cool factor, but I got tired of "waiting to get busted for it" so I've gone legal and put olympic plates front & rear on my car now.

http://members.shaw.ca/rsandor/hope.jpg

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 01-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: vancouver
Posts: 663
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
Another officer fighting the good fight...

I can feel safer at night because you were ticketed for properly displaying your BC plate and a europlate... because europlates promote terrorism!
You write some of the most retarded posts on RS.
MegaMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #18
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Gtrr33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 655
Thanked 469 Times in 109 Posts
I don't understand the "cool factor" in having those plates, it looks retarded
__________________
RB26DETT - Inline-6 Twin-Turbo Charged kazitorii tuned
JUN/NISMO/GReddy built motor cars ltd.

{{Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital }}
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #19
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
How does this work for commercial plates then?
(c) that has displayed on it a number plate other than those issued or designated by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia or otherwise prescribed to be displayed on that motor vehicle or trailer for the current licence year of that motor vehicle or trailer.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #20
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
It states that if two plates are issued, one must be at the front and one in the rear. I have that fulfilled.
You are right!
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
johny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: here
Posts: 5,793
Thanked 146 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
I did a search, all the topics here are about "no front plate" or "cutting plates" or "plate in the window".

My plate was displayed at the front of my vehicle, vertical to the ground unobstructed.

3.011(a)

It states that if two plates are issued, one must be at the front and one in the rear. I have that fulfilled.
yes the law states one in the front. you have 2 in the front. therefor you are breaking the law....
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer
 
Five-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 471
Thanked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
This is why someone gets pulled over for something (I am not saying in this instance) whilst on one corner a drug deal is happening, which is something that violates the CRIMINAL CODE OF CANADA!!!! Explain to me how this officer is bettering society by harassing a driver who has a NOVELTY europlate while displaying CORRECTLY his front plate?! If he was running no front plate I would not be commenting on this but given the fact that the plate is being displayed, unobstructed is what really gets me going. I see countless dangerous acts being committed by drivers in front of PO's and nothing gets done. Why can you walk around in possession of illicit, illegal substances (I am not in agreement with possession being illegal but the point stands) and nothing is done about it, BUT if you have a europlate with the correct plate or other pointless violations (tint front plate) do you need to take 20 plus minutes of a PO's time to deal with something that affects no one else (kind of like the argument made to decriminalize possession of drugs its all the same).

and how does it violate 13 (1)(C) if he is displaying his ICBC issued plate in the manner prescribed?! This section would be used when someone is ONLY displaying a plate that is not supposed to be there?! At least that is how I interpret the law...
For the most part a traffic officer pulls over the first offence he sees, writes a ticket, and then moves on to the next offence. His primary job is to enforce the Motor Vehicle Act, whereas members in other sections are specifically focusing on Criminal Code offences. Is that offence going to be the most serious offence on the road at the time? Not always, but that traffic cop is only one person and can only deal with one person at a time. That being said, if something of a higher priority does come up, that officer will likely drop what he is doing and move onto the higher priority event.

Your argument about how you can walk around with illicit substances and nothing is done about it is also flawed. As a regular member of the general public, your view of the police is what you see on a day to day basis and what the general public sees on a day to day basis is generally traffic stops. On any given day when I am off duty I see at least a couple of cars pulled over when driving around town just because it is easy to see. It is usually in the middle of a busy place and there are flashing red and blue lights. And even if there is a drug seizure in that traffic stop, you as the general public only view it as simply a traffic stop because you don't know exactly what is going on there. There is a lot more stuff that goes on everyday that you don't see. Do you ever go from crack shack to crack shack in your city to see what police are doing there? I go to the crack shacks in Richmond everyday to find out what is going on, to talk to the chronic offenders to get intel on who is doing what around town, to look for stolen property, etc. Even though I do it everyday, the general public does not see that for obvious reasons even though they see me giving out the one ticket I gave out all day and going for my one lunch/coffee break that I take in my 12 hour shift.

There are also all of the plain clothes sections you don't see. There is serious crime, drug section, Marajuana enforcement team, property crime, the list goes on. Those are teams of people working on specifically those problems around the clock, but again, you never see or hear about them. I don't know the exact numbers, but I bet serious crime section in Richmond has 5 to 10 times as many members as traffic section does.

This ticket for the two front plates, is it saving a life? Probably not. Is it getting drugs off of the street? Probably not. Do I know why you can't have a novelty plate on the front of your car? I don't know the exact reasons. Have I ever written a ticket for that? No. The one thing I do know is that laws are enforced, no matter how minor they are. The fact that he did not know it was illegal, he could probably dispute the ticket and have the fine reduced substantially if he takes the extra plate off of his car and explains the situation to the judge. I know it takes time out of his day, but at least there are checks and balances in our system for the people who truly were not wilfully breaking the law.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #23
Ricer Mod
 
Berzerker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Smithers
Posts: 6,665
Thanked 4,675 Times in 1,352 Posts
What constitutes a "plate"? If someone where to have Decals where the stock Euro plate would go that "look" like a plate would that too be illegal? Just tossing it out there because I'm curious.

Berz out.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,526
Thanked 976 Times in 164 Posts
all i can contribute to this thread is nice bc plate numbers
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
Slab_Ryda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond
Posts: 163
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If that plate is illegal, couldn't you get a sticker made of that exact euro plate and stick it to your front bumper? I saw a person with a sticker of the euro plate stuck to the front of his new BMW, talked to him about it and he said he got comments from the police for it all the time, but no ticket because it was a sticker. From someone elses point of view, a sticker would look the same a as euro plate unless they stop and stare at it....
Slab_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net