REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Clutch pedal sticking, doesn't return full (https://www.revscene.net/forums/559654-clutch-pedal-sticking-doesnt-return-full.html)

JCheong87 01-07-2009 03:10 PM

Clutch pedal sticking, doesn't return full

I have a 95' Nissan with a 5-speed manual transmission. Recently my clutch pedal hasn't been returning to it's normal sitting position. The car drives fine but it's a pain still and I have a feeling something's wrong. Any ideas?.. I'm pretty sure it's got a clutch cable... it's not a hydraulic clutch. I don't have much knowledge on this topic, any help would be appreciated!

!SG 01-07-2009 06:50 PM

follow the cable, see if its seperated from its clips that hold it in place.

how old is the clutch?

JCheong87 01-07-2009 08:08 PM

the clutch is actually brand new, approx. 5000kms on it. I'm looking at the cable where it connects to the transmission right?

jack_dangerous 01-07-2009 08:17 PM

look underneath your dash also... maybe the spring that holds the pedal fell off or broke..

Enecsver 01-12-2009 07:14 PM

your car has no clutch cable. If this was my car, I would get underneath it and take a look at the slave cylinder on the right side of the transmission. Is it fully extending and retracting when you push the clutch pedal in and out? When you changed the clutch 5000 km, did you bleed it correctly? Whoever bled the clutch may have done a poor job. Often, ppl with these cars bleed the clutch but fail to get all the air out of the damper box located on the underside of the chassis (right of transmission behind front right tire) I would suggest you start with a proper bleed and go from there!

JCheong87 01-14-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enecsver (Post 6220340)
your car has no clutch cable. If this was my car, I would get underneath it and take a look at the slave cylinder on the right side of the transmission. Is it fully extending and retracting when you push the clutch pedal in and out? When you changed the clutch 5000 km, did you bleed it correctly? Whoever bled the clutch may have done a poor job. Often, ppl with these cars bleed the clutch but fail to get all the air out of the damper box located on the underside of the chassis (right of transmission behind front right tire) I would suggest you start with a proper bleed and go from there!

just checked, and noticed the "clutch cable" was loose as the transmission end... seems it just needed to be tightened back and the slack and free play is gone!!!! Woohoo all seems good!!!

(where did you get info that my car has no clutch cable?)

1990TSI 01-14-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheong87 (Post 6224186)

(where did you get info that my car has no clutch cable?)

because all the good nissans have hydraulic clutches and the most common problem with the pedal to the floor is a $15 slave cylinder. you "were pretty sure it's got a clutch cable" and "don't have much knowledge on this topic" so he took his best guess.

I would have agreed with him if you hadn't followed up already.

JCheong87 01-14-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990TSI (Post 6224240)
because all the good nissans have hydraulic clutches and the most common problem with the pedal to the floor is a $15 slave cylinder. you "were pretty sure it's got a clutch cable" and "don't have much knowledge on this topic" so he took his best guess.

I would have agreed with him if you hadn't followed up already.

ooh ic ic... sooo my car isn't a good nissan... aw.

!SG 01-14-2009 05:50 PM

some cars use a clutch cable, some cars use a hydrolic clutch.

i believe majority of the KA nissan's use a clutch cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enecsver (Post 6220340)

Enecsver 01-14-2009 05:54 PM

^
are you serious? I just know because I've own a lot of 95 nissans 240sx in my life. The 95's are goood because you get the obdI ecu and the newer chassis. Was your car converted to 5spd? Kinda interesting as i have never seen a cable clutch conversion before. Well thats good that you fixed it! Have you been scraping he car's underside in the snow recently?

JCheong87 01-14-2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enecsver (Post 6224402)
^
are you serious? I just know because I've own a lot of 95 nissans 240sx in my life. The 95's are goood because you get the obdI ecu and the newer chassis. Was your car converted to 5spd? Kinda interesting as i have never seen a cable clutch conversion before. Well thats good that you fixed it! Have you been scraping he car's underside in the snow recently?

It's not a KA remember, it's a 200SX SE-R... SR20DE. Completely stock car, I just bought it a few months ago. I'm glad it's fixed and hopefully problem free for a while. I did run into some snow once this winter... how does that effect it??

Alatar 01-14-2009 09:28 PM

If it is a clutch cable, when you adjust the freeplay, make sure you leave ~1/4" of dead space at the top of your pedal travel so that your clutch isn't being ridden all the time.

!SG 01-14-2009 10:02 PM

then for sure the sr20de is a cable clutch. i remember helping a friend fix his out of a nx2000

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheong87 (Post 6224510)
It's not a KA remember, it's a 200SX SE-R... SR20DE. Completely stock car, I just bought it a few months ago. I'm glad it's fixed and hopefully problem free for a while. I did run into some snow once this winter... how does that effect it??

littledog 01-15-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 6224949)
then for sure the sr20de is a cable clutch. i remember helping a friend fix his out of a nx2000

Not all SR20DE are cable clutch though. Newer style G20 are hydraulics.

Enecsver 01-15-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheong87 (Post 6224510)

lol, oh I get it. I wasn't thinking when I commented earlier. Everytime I think 95 nissan, my mind just assumes we are talking about SR20 POWERED ASS KICKERS. Anyways, I made the snow comment because I was thinking that perhaps dragging the chassis over the snow might have cause something to rip loose underneath!

Leopold Stotch 01-15-2009 08:11 AM

^ hey not all 95 nissans are sr20 powered. some are happy being KA powered.

but when you started talking about the slave cylinder i was like wow, it's a S14 lol.

JCheong87 01-15-2009 08:30 AM

sorry to dissapoint you all with my stock lonely 200SX... haha

1990TSI 01-15-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheong87 (Post 6225652)
sorry to dissapoint you all with my stock lonely 200SX... haha

b14 is still a good car, I thought they had moved onto a hydro clutch by that point though, the newer ones are but the B13s are cables. I've done a few clutches on SR20de B13s now, always wondered why they didn't run a hydro clutch!

Klobbersaurus 01-15-2009 03:31 PM

i think only the b15 sentra's got hydro clutches, you can do a conversion but not worth it,

i got a b14 myself, good car, must lower it