REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Clutch pedal sticking, doesn't return full

I have a 95' Nissan with a 5-speed manual transmission. Recently my clutch pedal hasn't been returning to it's normal sitting position. The car drives fine but it's a pain still and I have a feeling something's wrong. Any ideas?.. I'm pretty sure it's got a clutch cable... it's not a hydraulic clutch. I don't have much knowledge on this topic, any help would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
follow the cable, see if its seperated from its clips that hold it in place.

how old is the clutch?

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

the clutch is actually brand new, approx. 5000kms on it. I'm looking at the cable where it connects to the transmission right?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

look underneath your dash also... maybe the spring that holds the pedal fell off or broke..
jack_dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

your car has no clutch cable. If this was my car, I would get underneath it and take a look at the slave cylinder on the right side of the transmission. Is it fully extending and retracting when you push the clutch pedal in and out? When you changed the clutch 5000 km, did you bleed it correctly? Whoever bled the clutch may have done a poor job. Often, ppl with these cars bleed the clutch but fail to get all the air out of the damper box located on the underside of the chassis (right of transmission behind front right tire) I would suggest you start with a proper bleed and go from there!
Enecsver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enecsver View Post
your car has no clutch cable. If this was my car, I would get underneath it and take a look at the slave cylinder on the right side of the transmission. Is it fully extending and retracting when you push the clutch pedal in and out? When you changed the clutch 5000 km, did you bleed it correctly? Whoever bled the clutch may have done a poor job. Often, ppl with these cars bleed the clutch but fail to get all the air out of the damper box located on the underside of the chassis (right of transmission behind front right tire) I would suggest you start with a proper bleed and go from there!
just checked, and noticed the "clutch cable" was loose as the transmission end... seems it just needed to be tightened back and the slack and free play is gone!!!! Woohoo all seems good!!!

(where did you get info that my car has no clutch cable?)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
straight from the fields of squamton

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheong87 View Post

(where did you get info that my car has no clutch cable?)

because all the good nissans have hydraulic clutches and the most common problem with the pedal to the floor is a $15 slave cylinder. you "were pretty sure it's got a clutch cable" and "don't have much knowledge on this topic" so he took his best guess.

I would have agreed with him if you hadn't followed up already.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post
because all the good nissans have hydraulic clutches and the most common problem with the pedal to the floor is a $15 slave cylinder. you "were pretty sure it's got a clutch cable" and "don't have much knowledge on this topic" so he took his best guess.

I would have agreed with him if you hadn't followed up already.
ooh ic ic... sooo my car isn't a good nissan... aw.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

some cars use a clutch cable, some cars use a hydrolic clutch.

i believe majority of the KA nissan's use a clutch cable

Quote:

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #10

^
are you serious? I just know because I've own a lot of 95 nissans 240sx in my life. The 95's are goood because you get the obdI ecu and the newer chassis. Was your car converted to 5spd? Kinda interesting as i have never seen a cable clutch conversion before. Well thats good that you fixed it! Have you been scraping he car's underside in the snow recently?
Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #11

Quote:
^
are you serious? I just know because I've own a lot of 95 nissans 240sx in my life. The 95's are goood because you get the obdI ecu and the newer chassis. Was your car converted to 5spd? Kinda interesting as i have never seen a cable clutch conversion before. Well thats good that you fixed it! Have you been scraping he car's underside in the snow recently?
It's not a KA remember, it's a 200SX SE-R... SR20DE. Completely stock car, I just bought it a few months ago. I'm glad it's fixed and hopefully problem free for a while. I did run into some snow once this winter... how does that effect it??
Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
This title intentionally left blank MOD

If it is a clutch cable, when you adjust the freeplay, make sure you leave ~1/4" of dead space at the top of your pedal travel so that your clutch isn't being ridden all the time.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

then for sure the sr20de is a cable clutch. i remember helping a friend fix his out of a nx2000

Quote:
It's not a KA remember, it's a 200SX SE-R... SR20DE. Completely stock car, I just bought it a few months ago. I'm glad it's fixed and hopefully problem free for a while. I did run into some snow once this winter... how does that effect it??

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 01-15-2009, 02:24 AM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
then for sure the sr20de is a cable clutch. i remember helping a friend fix his out of a nx2000
Not all SR20DE are cable clutch though. Newer style G20 are hydraulics.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 AM   #15

Quote:
lol, oh I get it. I wasn't thinking when I commented earlier. Everytime I think 95 nissan, my mind just assumes we are talking about SR20 POWERED ASS KICKERS. Anyways, I made the snow comment because I was thinking that perhaps dragging the chassis over the snow might have cause something to rip loose underneath!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^ hey not all 95 nissans are sr20 powered. some are happy being KA powered.

but when you started talking about the slave cylinder i was like wow, it's a S14 lol.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #17

sorry to dissapoint you all with my stock lonely 200SX... haha
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #18
straight from the fields of squamton

Quote:
sorry to dissapoint you all with my stock lonely 200SX... haha
b14 is still a good car, I thought they had moved onto a hydro clutch by that point though, the newer ones are but the B13s are cables. I've done a few clutches on SR20de B13s now, always wondered why they didn't run a hydro clutch!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

i think only the b15 sentra's got hydro clutches, you can do a conversion but not worth it,

i got a b14 myself, good car, must lower it